Exhaust manifold fun factor

De-marko

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have searched on the forums and didn't find much on exhaust manifold leak.

I have a pronounced exhaust leak coming form the passenger side on my LS8. Of course when it warms up, the sound goes away. I'm going to search more under the car to isolate the leak, but if it is the exhaust manifold gasket what is fun factor 1-10, 10 being the funnest of course. :facesjump

Could an exhaust leak throw a lean code?

Well, at least it is on the passenger side. On a scale of 1 to 10, that job is a 20.:p

Seriously though, I have no idea if that is even possible to replace with the engine still in the car. I would think it would be easiest to pull the motor to fix that one.

it is crazy tough to reach the front bolts - over and around the accessories... it's doable.

I have done it both by removing them on their own, and then removing them with the heads...

"Do-able" is better than impossible. :D I can work with that. I used to have a auto equipped '93 Taurus SHO.......if you can work on one of those, you can work on anything.

"Do-able" is better than impossible. :D I can work with that. I used to have a auto equipped '93 Taurus SHO.......if you can work on one of those, you can work on anything.

had a 93 taurus with the 3.8, that thing could rival our LSes for engine bay tightness.

I have the same problem, but on the driver's side, let me know how it goes. I need to fix it too, it is very annoying, especially during winter.

had a 93 taurus with the 3.8, that thing could rival our LSes for engine bay tightness.

replacing the rear spark plugs sucked on the 3.8. Something that should be easy and the only way to do it is by climbing up on the engine. How I long for the good 'ol days. A neigbor has an old Cadillac. It has enough room in the engine compartment for a La-Z-Boy and a cooler.

Alright I'm replacing the passenger side exhaust gasket before I put all of my accesories back on. I didn't want to have to pull the entire manifold, so I just removed the bolts to the head and slid the gasket out while leaving the manifold attached to the exhaust pipe. The gasket looks good with no blow out, so I started looking at the manifold itself. It seems as though maybe the exhaust is coming out through the flange. Does this look like the case to everyone? Are these manifolds known to crack?

exhaust.jpg

sorry - been busy not on the boards as much.

it does look like a leak - however - that could also be from the VC gasket leaking above it - with just a small amount of oil seep getting on the spot and repeatedly getting hot - cooling - hot ....

the only way to know for sure is to pull it and pressure test it - if you could run the engine (which I know you can't) listening with a tube near that spot should hear the leak.

Some early LSes had issues with a cracked manifold. Once warmed up the crack would seal. IIRC, the symptom was a ticking sound when cold.

i had that feeling when i opened this thread that it could be the manifold cracked. ive never read about anyone having it happened but when i went to the dealer i asked for my cars service history. one of the things on it was a cracked exhaust manifold and the car had less than 30k miles. its a 200o btw

Got the exhaust manifold off and the that entire flange was broken loose. Welded that back up and I would give myself an "A" on strength and a "C-" on looks. :lol:

NOW hopefully no more set-backs. I need to get this POS back on the road some year.:p

Members online

No members online now.
Back