Exhaust help

JOHN1242

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
On my 98 , i replaced the 3rd cat and resonator with a y pipe and had magnaflows installed. not bad, kinda smooth.
Now i have a 96 also. I am leaving the 3rd cat and resonator. I have listened to countless youtube non-lsc exhaust videos. I like the flowmasters. you guys seem to hate em. any suggestions? i just pretty much want a muffler only swap. i want the stock tips and a good fit too.

thanx JOHN

now w a Gen 1 and a Gen 2 !

I loved my flowmasters on my 95 non LSC but I REALLY love the true duals with the LMS mufflers. Search my name and it's in one of my pic threads.

im running no mufflers and will never go back.......

till it needs an inspection. or emissions testing. :D

on a regular muffler swap its reall a taste issue, but any flowmaster sounds good. its when you open up to headers or remove all the cats the sound can be ridiculously loud at all levels. i went full exhaust with lms and love the sound.its loud when you floor it (which for me is alot). but under normal conditions you hear it but its not unbearable. i had flowmaster on my 85 5.0, loved it. put a mac exhaust on when i built the supercharged 331, its all a matter of taste, personally flowmasters are good, but have been around forever and it seems every truck on the road has them. im all for a different sound, not to mention the polished look of the lms mufflers, stunning. putting my lsc on lift this weekend and taking a video of the exhaust so i can post it.keep an eye out.

i saw a pontiac g6 that sounded like a motorcycle today, nice sound but wrong automobile.

so many guy have just took there mufflers off? iam not a lincoln expert but wouldnt this sound like raspy ass?

flowmaster 40s sounds decent, thats what my dad put on the mark before i got it. im gonna go soon to get them to put in an x-pipe resonator, straight pipe, flowmaster super 40s or super 44's, true dual exhaust :) i personally don't like the LMS exhaust, flows sound pretty good with the right setup imo

If you go Flows, don't use an x-pipe with it. I just don't think they sound great with X's, from personal experience.

what about for emmisions? will it still pass?

depends on where you live. a mark will pass emissions with 2 cats, but if they inspect for aftermarket exhaust work, depending on county or state, you may be failed for non factory exhaust.

I have already removed my 3rd cat/ resonator and replaced it with just pipe. I am looking at an x pipe now and want to add Magnaflows. Should I hollow the front cats or just leave them, Im not worried about smog inspections.
ALso its 2-1/4 right?

so many guy have just took there mufflers off? iam not a lincoln expert but wouldnt this sound like raspy ass?

Often you get a drone in the car that is unbearable for some ... It makes the car sound good outside but inside you might get tired of the constant drone.

My personal favorite set up is to remove the 3rd and resonator ... then replace with a 2 in 2 out muffler (Magnaflow is my muffler of choice) then run just pipes back.

In my opinion sound great ... not raspy but a very nice tone.

th_video-2011-10-25-15-05-45.jpg

total exhaust. was taken with phone not the best quality, but the sound is there. it helps if you have real speakers hooked to computer

Im not sure if the front cats are any good (no check engine light any no smell) I'm going to order the x pipe from ebay (2.25, right).
I will probably not hollow the front cats but I want some real growl when I got on it but smooth when just idling around (looking for the mustang sound basically), which magnaflows should I put on?

if you want the car to growl, your gonna have to get rid of it all go headers,true duals.the "mustang sound" died when the old 5.0 was replaced with the 4.6. thats why it was famous you could always identify a 5.0 by the sound,it was even in silence of the lambs. best bet, order the lincolnmotorsport kit. it offers dyno proven hp and is only loud when you get on the throttle.

Members online

Back