Everytime it rains

Seed

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Everytime it rains, my '01 V6 stutter during acceleration as though water in the tank.

What should i have checked or replaced? I'm at 96K miles w/o tune up yet

it's more likely you are getting water into the spark plug wells and it is mis-firing. I would check the seal of the COP covers.

Hi Quick
Wouldn't something like this generate a code that could be read? Defintely sounds like something under the hood''s getting wet and shorting out.

not usually at the light studdery phase. The misfire on a Gen1 has to be pretty bad for the CEL light. If you have a AutoEnginuity probe it can tell you that a cylinder is misfiring but it below the threshold of a CEL light.

that was what happed to mine, black silicone will be your friend

Hey, sorry to reply to such an old thread, but I just wanted to see if you were able to fix this? I have a 2000 V6 and found that I got a misfire when it rained due to the foam seal on the plastic cowl where the passenger side wiper is. After a while the foam starts to degrade and it lets water drip directly on to the back driver's side coil plug. There's a TSB about it, but it lists the V8, not the V6 as being affected. It like a 5 dollar part and takes 20 minutes to replace. Hope this helps.

this happened to my 00 V6, a couple of times (very heavy rain, and some jerk off at the detailing shop powerwashing the motor)

mine was bad enough to throw a blinking CEL

Yeah, I'll get the blinking CEL as well, and I just found out that it will still misfire after a heavy rain, even though I just replaced that foam seal. I have to get out there with some water and see where it's coming in from. I have a feeling it might be from the rubber seal on the cowl and windshield. I noticed that if it didn't seal properly water would go directly on to the back of the engine. It just never ends with this car...

Members online

Back