Ever Spiked A Temp ?

Ric

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The other day, I got a warning chime and the display said "Check Temp" or something like that. I looked and the temp indicator needle was pegged at the "H". Not in the hot range or near hot...totally straight up,can't go no further, getting ready to bust the gauge....H! I pulled over Immediately and looked under the hood...like I could do anything anyway. Not like the LS is roadside repair friendly. I didn't see any coolent spewing like I expected...nothing looked out of the ordinary. I tried starting it up after a few minutes to see if the needle backed off any and the thing ran fine...temp perfectly normal. Even if the fan malfunctioned causing the engine to get hot, and it was now working, the temp would have still been in the hot range, but it was dead center normal after just a few minutes. The dealer told me to bring it right in, but they couldn't get it to throw a code or repeat the malfunction. Gave my nerves a good jolt and got to experience a free rental Saturn for a day, but other than that, uneventful. Ever happen to anyone else?

replace your thermostat, check your overflow bucket, and check your coolant level properly. no joke, common problem, starts off just like this

check your coolant level first...easiest possible fix. Happened to me a couple months ago.

Chances are really high that you had a gas bubble in the coolant. A bubble of steam in the coolant will peg the temp gauge, and it'll likely go away after a restart. Check the coolant reservoir cap; also, check the reservoir itself for leaks.

Thanks for the advice people. I would have hoped the dealer checked those things too.

Happened to me 2 months ago.....Lincoln told me the thermostat was sticking....replaces that and flushed & Filled the coolant.

Sending units will do this sometimes as they get old. False reading usually barying the needle then dropping quickly, a car doesn't cool back down that quick.

This happened to me but I DID have coolant spewing all over the place. I had the dealership flush/fill the coolant and replace the thermo. It only cost me $63 and its ran fine ever since.

I had this same problem very intermittently for about 6 months. It got more and more frequent in May, then finally after one episode the check engine light came on and stayed on. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the hydraulic cooling fan/motor assembly to the tune of $700.

Ran fine for two months until yesterday, the same thing happened again. Temp gauge pegged, pulled over, let it sit for just a minute or two, started back up, heard fan running under the hood and the temp dropped back to normal. Check engine light is back on and staying on. Time to go back to the dealership.

Members online

No members online now.
Back