Ever get the tinted tails melting issue resolved???

Lincoln Luebbe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I know a couple of guys on here used the Lamin-X and other forms of external tint on their tails and some of you experienced some melting :eek:.

My questions are why do you think this happened?

How long did it take for them to melt?

Has it stopped or is it getting worse?

Is there something that could be done to prevent this from happening?

I finally have the money to do a couple minor things to the LS and tails is one of them but I don't want to damage my tails either. I don't do a lot of daytime driving with my lights on I know that seemed to be a factor for somebody (maybe Andrizzle?).

Gen2s have pressure vents just like the headlights.

The problem lies with how close the bulb sits next to the lense. There is little space between bulb surface to plastic inside.

The reason this is happening is - in combination of the air temperature, the sun hitting the black paint/film, and the idea of the paint and film holding the lightbulb heat inside.

All of these factor into it, as i have had tinted lights since february and never had a problem until June when the heat started hitting hard. Yes i do drive with parking lights on, usually everytime i drive. However, i think they will melt no matter what. I have noticed the plastic used to make our lights is pretty poor quality. After driving at night, touch your lense where the bulb is. You will notice it is very warm. This is where all of those factors listed above come i to play.

I think until a working LED bulb is made/found for us, tinting them is a bad idea. I will not get my lights redone until such a solution is found.

Sorry for any typos etc. This is from my phone.

Stop thinking about it too much, and just get some red lamin-x already.

:p

LOL M4rk, I know I've been talking about doing it for a while now with no results... I was just curious if a fix was found since I hadn't heard anything on this for a little while.

I'm going to try to do what joe posted up that would fix the problem,I just haven't ordered the led bulb yet. I will soon, maybe today

Alax just let me send you mine. I have the large nice ones and mine are just sitting here until we figure somethin out. Lol

I really want them to work!!!

Do you have any pics Driz'? Remind me what the problem was with the LED, it was the way it looked through the tail light right?

No, this is an actual LED bulb from VLEDS. The way the LS's socket is wired makes the bulb unusable properly. So either the sockrt or bulb needs to be edited to work. Joegr helped us with this by providing a way to get it to work. However, i dont really understand or know how to build it. Alax has sOme more experience doing this type thing and he is going to tackle it.

I posted some pics of the bulb and socket setup in the last thread. Im on my phone so i cannot search it ATM.

The issues are probably the flasher and the fact that you need a resistor at the lamp to keep the bulb out message off the display center right.:D I don't know though is your guys's flasher built into some module? if so you're boned. If not you can get anything you need at the site I posted.

No the issue is in the other thread. It is the actual setup of the socket that makes it a problem.

Not to get off the LED topic, but I'm about to have my tails painted black. I'm wondering what this melting problem is everyone is talking about?

No, those are your andrizzle, I'll order them shortly and even send you the thing I make if it works.

It's alright. I have an LS and I don't get replies either. But I will ask, if I use the LEDs you posted I'm assuming they will light up the whole tail like a normal bulb and not just be a dot in my tail like some LED bulbs?

Hey gator check out the meet in my sig. Be great if you can make it.

Not to get off the LED topic, but I'm about to have my tails painted black. I'm wondering what this melting problem is everyone is talking about?

The heat from the filament bulbs put out is enough to cause the tai light plastic to dip in and some what "melt", since tinted tails retaint more heat than without the heat, this happened faster with normal use. To fix the melting problem we can use led's since they put out very little heat, the only problem with led's right now is that the way they are wired wont work with the ls's socket. They dont light brighter when you step on the break pedal like they should, so was someone on here, joe, came up with was a way to make it work, I was going to tackle it soon I just need a bulb to see if it works.

Members online

No members online now.
Back