Enine Is Starting To Run Hot

MARKED MAN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys. last two times i've driven the lincoln its been running a little warmer than usual. since installing the 160 degree thermostat a couple of months ago the temp. guage stays around the N in the word normal even when driving the car for a while, very rarely goes past that. now the needle sits in the middle of the guage and ventures up towards the red every once in a while then returns back to the center of the guage. the only thing i have done differntly in the recent past is chage to a lower fuel grade (from 93 to 87) besides that everything is the same. i've checked all fluid levels dont have any leaks or anything, just cant figure it out. the car hasnt ran hot yet but what i'm concerned with is the fact that if i still had the 195 thermostat in the car it would be running in the red. what could i check.

When does the temperature change? Does it get warmer when the car is not moving, or does it happen regardless of speed? If it happens at random I would think that you have an air pocket in the coolant system. Otherwise perhaps there is a faulty thermostat or water pump.

JoshMcMadMac said:
When does the temperature change? Does it get warmer when the car is not moving, or does it happen regardless of speed? If it happens at random I would think that you have an air pocket in the coolant system. Otherwise perhaps there is a faulty thermostat or water pump.

it does happen at random. i'll try fixing what seem to be the eaisiest of the problems(the air pocket) first, how would i go about doing this?

Run the engine with the radiator cap off, preferably on a slight hill with the nose pointed upwards (this can also be achieved with ramps and a step-stool.) Running the system with the cap off removes the pressure, which should allow the air to work itself out as it is pushed through the system. Then top off the radiator and see what results you get.

JoshMcMadMac said:
Run the engine with the radiator cap off, preferably on a slight hill with the nose pointed upwards (this can also be achieved with ramps and a step-stool.) Running the system with the cap off removes the pressure, which should allow the air to work itself out as it is pushed through the system. Then top off the radiator and see what results you get.

cool i'll try that tomarrow and let you know what happened.

MARKED MAN said:
cool i'll try that tomarrow and let you know what happened.
It's "time for a cool change".
p1010012.jpg

its ok now. i did what josh said and added alittle more fluid and its good to go. i changed the fluid when i did the theromostat change so that was cool to.

MARKED MAN said:
its ok now. i did what josh said and added alittle more fluid and its good to go. i changed the fluid when i did the theromostat change so that was cool to.

Glad to hear that it worked.

Another reason for hot engine

My temperature light used to come on after driving for awhile under normal conditions. I could smell an overheated engine. I would open the hood to release the heat.

I just learned that all the sludge from leaking valve cover gaskets was the culprit. As soon as the shop told me to have the engine area cleaned and then keep it cleaned, I had an "Oh Yeah," moment.

I remembered two things. In the past year, it was in the newspapers about the lawsuits against auto manufacturers because of damaged motors from overheating. The high court upheld the lower courts's ruling that the owners were negligent in not keeping the sludge off their engine because not doing so causes the motor to overheat.

Also, my dad taught me as part of basic maintenance on any vehicle to clean the motor clean. My first car, a 1960 Corvair Coupe, was a breeze to keep clean. Wrap vital electrical parts with plastic and secure with rubber bands and degrease. Because I'm over achiever I used a bucket of scalding hot water to do first rinse. Melted away any greese, grime, and dirt. My horrified father put a stop to that kind of cleaning. When I got my Impala, I continued that maintenance of keeping it clean, and well maintained. That is why she is at 304,000 miles.

I've only had my Lincolin less than a year. No excuse other than I don't know how to clean it because there are electrical wires everywhere. I've been trying to incrementally clean sections at a time, first just grabbing gobs with a paper towel.

I completed cleaning the inside and out of the valve covers and plenum. I noticed that the temperature light did not come when I drove the car to the shop yesterday.

1986_MarkVII said:
My temperature light used to come on after driving for awhile under normal conditions. I could smell an overheated engine. I would open the hood to release the heat.

I just learned that all the sludge from leaking valve cover gaskets was the culprit. As soon as the shop told me to have the engine area cleaned and then keep it cleaned, I had an "Oh Yeah," moment.

I remembered two things. In the past year, it was in the newspapers about the lawsuits against auto manufacturers because of damaged motors from overheating. The high court upheld the lower courts's ruling that the owners were negligent in not keeping the sludge off their engine because not doing so causes the motor to overheat.

Also, my dad taught me as part of basic maintenance on any vehicle to clean the motor clean. My first car, a 1960 Corvair Coupe, was a breeze to keep clean. Wrap vital electrical parts with plastic and secure with rubber bands and degrease. Because I'm over achiever I used a bucket of scalding hot water to do first rinse. Melted away any greese, grime, and dirt. My horrified father put a stop to that kind of cleaning. When I got my Impala, I continued that maintenance of keeping it clean, and well maintained. That is why she is at 304,000 miles.

I've only had my Lincolin less than a year. No excuse other than I don't know how to clean it because there are electrical wires everywhere. I've been trying to incrementally clean sections at a time, first just grabbing gobs with a paper towel.

I completed cleaning the inside and out of the valve covers and plenum. I noticed that the temperature light did not come when I drove the car to the shop yesterday.

as far as cleaning the engine goes, i clean mine fairly often and the only parts i cover are the distributor and the alternator. i havent had any probplems with it not starting or anything after cleaning. al i use is some engine degreaser and the water hose. good to go.

Members online

Back