Engine swap possibilities?

Old Blue

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone on here done a swap from the DOHC 4.6 in a Mark VIII to a Windsor 5.0 or 351 engine? If so, how involved is the change over?

We have a beautiful 95 LSC with the engine locked up on it. After talking to a couple of local mechanics who are familiar with these engines and hearing that it would run between $5500 & $7500 to rebuild our 4.6 we have decided against that option.

I know it sounds like a step backwards, but investing $7500 in a car that isn't worth more than half that amount doesn't compute.

Any ideas, advice, or info will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Damn! Sorry to hear about your luck with the engine. I know the computer and some electronics would have to be converted for sure, I assume fuel system too.
If you don't mind me asking when did it lock up? Just recently? I know you just became a member a couple weeks ago.

There will be a couple others chiming in about this situation.

A lot of dudes are putting the Coyote 5.0 in the Mark VIII's. Here is a video to see it and how it was completed new computers and everything! It would be cool to see in your 1st gen.

Screen name is mad1stgen on youtube. You can watch more vids of his car.

Best of luck in this hectic moment.

Hello,

Has anyone on here done a swap from the DOHC 4.6 in a Mark VIII to a Windsor 5.0 or 351 engine? If so, how involved is the change over?

We have a beautiful 95 LSC with the engine locked up on it. After talking to a couple of local mechanics who are familiar with these engines and hearing that it would run between $5500 & $7500 to rebuild our 4.6 we have decided against that option.

I know it sounds like a step backwards, but investing $7500 in a car that isn't worth more than half that amount doesn't compute.

Any ideas, advice, or info will be greatly appreciated.

Ron
I'm surprised to hear these are that expensive to have rebuilt. Why not look for used 4.6 from another parting out a M8. I have seen good motors go for $1000 here in Canada, where there are fewer M8's compared to the states.

Damn! Sorry to hear about your luck with the engine. I know the computer and some electronics would have to be converted for sure, I assume fuel system too.
If you don't mind me asking when did it lock up? Just recently? I know you just became a member a couple weeks ago.

There will be a couple others chiming in about this situation.

A lot of dudes are putting the Coyote 5.0 in the Mark VIII's. Here is a video to see it and how it was completed new computers and everything! It would be cool to see in your 1st gen.

Screen name is mad1stgen on youtube. You can watch more vids of his car.

Best of luck in this hectic moment.

Hopefully I didn't mislead you. This is not on our Old Blue. It is on an Ivory Pearlescent 95 LSC
Actually we purchased this 2nd parts car with what the POs mechanics told him had thrown a rod. He said it would still crank over, but made a terrible noise.
When we got it home I replaced the serpentine and had my wife crank it to see what was going on. It fired right up, but with an awful clicking sound coming from the rear of the engine, then in a few seconds it froze up.
(believe me the thought of a coyote in it has passed my mind more than once)

I'm surprised to hear these are that expensive to have rebuilt. Why not look for used 4.6 from another parting out a M8. I have seen good motors go for $1000 here in Canada, where there are fewer M8's compared to the states.

In our area untouched used heads for these go for $1000. A used engine is around twice that amount, then another $2000 for the installation which seems a ridiculous charge, but???
Ron

Today the Coyote swap is the way to go but ill tell ya with will be more than 10k to do and way more than a 4.6.
I’d look for a used 4.6 and drop it in. In the long run it will be the cheapest way to go.

Hopefully I didn't mislead you. This is not on our Old Blue. It is on an Ivory Pearlescent 95 LSC
Actually we purchased this 2nd parts car with what the POs mechanics told him had thrown a rod. He said it would still crank over, but made a terrible noise.
When we got it home I replaced the serpentine and had my wife crank it to see what was going on. It fired right up, but with an awful clicking sound coming from the rear of the engine, then in a few seconds it froze up.
(believe me the thought of a coyote in it has passed my mind more than once)

In our area untouched used heads for these go for $1000. A used engine is around twice that amount, then another $2000 for the installation which seems a ridiculous charge, but???
Ron

My bad. Glad its not the blue one. On the other LSC yes like stated above you can find a used engine. Have it resealed, change all the parts hard to get to when its out of the car ect. That would be the better route. Especially if its a parts car, this would be more cost effective.

I really want to thank each of you for your ideas and input on this problem.
It is great to find a Lincoln Forum where a person can actually get good answers to their questions.
We are headed out (in Old Blue) for Spokane Washington tonight, so I won't be giving this much thought for a while.
If I was thirty five years younger I would probably opt for the Coyote & a six speed manual, but at 76 that isn't likely to happen.
Again THANKS!
Ron

Well friends,
We made it to Spokane in Old Blue without a hitch, & it averaged just a bit over 24mpg for the 1400+ mile trip. It climbed most hills without even shifting out of overdrive & losing no RPMs, these 8s do have great power.
My faith in these DOHC 4.6 engines is growing!
:):)

Ron & Sue

Last edited:
Glad you had a great trip! Getting there safe and back is the most important.

These InTech V8's go the long haul getting close to 1 million miles and counting. You shouldn't have any problems. Sometimes you need to replace the valve stem seals as they tend to leak after so long. Puffs of blue smoke upon start up. It happens. A trusted mechanic will do you well.

Today the Coyote swap is the way to go but ill tell ya with will be more than 10k to do and way more than a 4.6.
I’d look for a used 4.6 and drop it in. In the long run it will be the cheapest way to go.

I am sure you are correct about the high costs of installing a Coyote Engine. A few of the "Fox body" folks are going with Coyotes and it's a major project in whichever car they attempt it in.
At this point I think we will just hold on to our 95 parts car Mark VIII and see if a vehicle with a decent low mileage, DOHC 4.6 shows up in our area at a price that would make it feasible to do the engine swap.
Have a great 4th of July!
Ron

I am sure you are correct about the high costs of installing a Coyote Engine. A few of the "Fox body" folks are going with Coyotes and it's a major project in whichever car they attempt it in.
At this point I think we will just hold on to our 95 parts car Mark VIII and see if a vehicle with a decent low mileage, DOHC 4.6 shows up in our area at a price that would make it feasible to do the engine swap.
Have a great 4th of July!
Ron
If you are close to Ohio I have a 93 with 124,000 miles on it. It is in a one owner car that I purchased and someone kindly slammed into the rear quarter, so I am sadly parting her out. $800.00 but I would have to pull the engine since the car is intact at this point.

If you are close to Ohio I have a 93 with 124,000 miles on it. It is in a one owner car that I purchased and someone kindly slammed into the rear quarter, so I am sadly parting her out. $800.00 but I would have to pull the engine since the car is intact at this point.
Thanks for the offer Wolfe,
We live in Arizona, which is a bit far from Ohio, but if we were closer it could be tempting.
Ron

To finish off this thread, I want to announce that Ivory Pearl now has his engine completely rebuilt, and is sitting back in the garage.

A really big thank you to everyone who made suggestions about what might be done.
We ended up going the rebuilt engine route and are quite happy with the results so far.
Ron & Sue

To finish off this thread, I want to announce that Ivory Pearl now has his engine completely rebuilt, and is sitting back in the garage.

A really big thank you to everyone who made suggestions about what might be done.
We ended up going the rebuilt engine route and are quite happy with the results so far.
Ron & Sue

Great deal! Glad things went smooth your way.

Enjoy cruising the Arizona sunset.

Here is how it looks with the wheels washed and waxed, and the 1/2" black stripe applied.
On the approach.JPG
Old Mayer Hotel good::cropped.jpg

Very nice ivory Mark you have there.
Thanks Moes8,
I am enjoying it, but this morning I was told that the tranny needs a rebuild. It has been stumbling, when shifting into overdrive.
I am not going to make any sudden moves until I do a bit more studying on these transmissions though, because if I press the "overdrive off" button, then press it again when the car is going around 50-55 it shifts on into 4th smoothly.
Ron

Before replacing the transmission a lot of people have have good luck with a COMPLETE drain (inc torque converter) and refill with a new trans filter using Mercon V.

Before replacing the transmission a lot of people have have good luck with a COMPLETE drain (inc torque converter) and refill with a new trans filter using Mercon V.

Thank you for that suggestion germanshepherd,
The transmission place that I took it to yesterday refused to do that saying it was a waste of time.
I tried to reason with them that I was willing to take the chance that it wouldn't cure the problem, but I guess they were only after the big money!!
Is Mercon V advised for the 95 Marks, or is it only for the gen2 models?
Ron

Mercon V is advised for ANYTHING using Mercon. I would really recommend doing full Mercon V fluid and filter swap before replacing a transmission unless its completely crapped out or just not working at all.

Members online

Back