Engine questions

bigj480

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of picking an engine for my kit car project. I need some info on the lincoln LS engines, especially the v8. I would like to know if they are all aluminum since weight is important. Also I've heard that if you get one without the select shift you can install it later, and this will bypass the shift limiter found on cars that some with the select shift. Are there any manual transmissions that will bolt up to them? Also is there a site I can find detailed info on them, such as bore and stroke? Are there any other LS forums? It seems that the performance parts are limited but I think it would be possible to get some low comp. pistons and design a turbo system. Any response will be appreciated.

bigj480 said:
I'm in the process of picking an engine for my kit car project. I need some info on the lincoln LS engines, especially the v8. I would like to know if they are all aluminum since weight is important. Also I've heard that if you get one without the select shift you can install it later, and this will bypass the shift limiter found on cars that some with the select shift. Are there any manual transmissions that will bolt up to them? Also is there a site I can find detailed info on them, such as bore and stroke? Are there any other LS forums? It seems that the performance parts are limited but I think it would be possible to get some low comp. pistons and design a turbo system. Any response will be appreciated.

1) yes - all aluminum.
2) depends - the 5R55N auto trannie is SST ready, but was sold in some models with the automatic shifter only (I am not sure about the other trannies)
3) the limiter was added to all non-sport models - since they were sold with H-rated tires. All 03+ have the limiter as well. The only way to change that is to re-program the PCM - using the SCT XCalibrator.
4) the V6 had a factory manual. there is no bolt-on for the V8
5) there is not much of an aftermarket yet - as there were not many sold

The engine was choosen as a top 10 best in 2002. However, for a project car I think you'll be disapointed at the lack of tinkering you can do.

For a kit car, you be far better off going w/ a crate LS1 motor, or one from a bone yard. More compact, lighter and much more powerful than the 3.9L V8. Performance parts are much more plentyful. Unless you are hell bent on DOHCs and have deep pockets and love a challenge, you can't beat the LS1. Crate motors come w/ the PCM and harness for dropping it into old or kit cars, or you can even get a carb intake, and MSD sells a stand alone ignition controller for carb'd motors.

yeah you wont save any money using this engine or tranny might as well buy one that has a broader selection of mods.

I agree, an Chevy LS1 and/or Ford 331 (302) or 351...

If it is a tight engine compartment, then maybe a Buick GN 3.8 liter w/ turbo setup...

blk04lse said:
I agree, an Chevy LS1 and/or Ford 331 (302) or 351...

If it is a tight engine compartment, then maybe a Buick GN 3.8 liter w/ turbo setup...

Agreed here. I have seen quite a few posts where people have been asking about the 3.9 for a project. That choice would be at the bottom of my list, although not the very bottom. If I do another custom project car, I will be looking heavily at an LS1/LS6.

Thanx for the replies. I was assuming that the 3.9 was lighter than an LS1, but there's probably only a very small difference. I'm really looking for something lighter that's capable of 800hp for $10k-$15k including engine purchase. I've already looked at the Buick GN 3.8 liter, ls1, 2jzgte and the aurora v8. For $10k the first three get to around 500hp, I was hoping for a little more. The aurora would be WAY more expensive. The engine has to pass emissions testing to be registered, but after that its not a concern, so I plan on leaving it stock at first and after registration begin modifying it. So create engines are out of the question. If I had to pick right now I'm leaning towards an aftermarket aluminum block GN engine, but I'm not satisfied with the dollar per hp ratio.

You are right, you have to add a power adder (supercharger/turbo) to the LS1 and 302 block (306, 331, 347), but if you are running an emission legal cam, unported heads/intake, shorty headers, etc. to help ensure you meet emissions standards, it may be tough reaching 800 hp even w/ running 25 lbs of boost.

A solution would be to go w/ those motors and build them for durability w/ light weight internals, custom cam, ported heads/intake, long tubes, etc and add the supercharger or turbo. Then, based on your state, by pass emissions as a race car. In Illinois, you can take pictures of the car (w/ slicks, NOZ bottle or engine compartment and cage - if used), submit a dyno sheet or track slip, submit that info w/ a form and by pass emissions...

Don't know what kit car you are putting together, but my thoughts are to go w/ a motor in which the drive train componets fit the vehicle w/ as little fabrication as possible...

BTW, I have seen Miatas w/ 5.0 and early 80's RX7s w/ GN 3.8 liter & turbo... crazy

Members online

No members online now.
Back