Engine question

irock03

LVC Member
Reaction score
My Gen 2 is still not running, we are trying to figure the problem out ourselves
so we have our final thoughts in and we think it is the timing chain, now my question is is this a interference engine? or a non-interference engine?
I was not going fast at all when this happened and when it stalled in the puddle it stalled without a noise, but we think its the timing chain becasue there is no compression in the engine.
A little insight please???

it IS an interference engine. if the chain went.....your engine is toast.

I don't really see how a puddle could do that tho, unless you hydro-locked it. You mean NONE of the cylinders have compression? cause thats damned near impossible.

Mike

94m5 said:
it IS an interference engine. if the chain went.....your engine is toast.

I don't really see how a puddle could do that tho, unless you hydro-locked it. You mean NONE of the cylinders have compression? cause thats damned near impossible.

Mike

yeah,unless he busted every singe valve out of the head when the chain broke,if it broke.???

thats hard to fathom happening.

-----------------

is this engine turning over yet? or are you still trying to get that to happen?

no way he busted ALL of the valves in EVERY cylinder. I had 16 cam bearings sieze up in the old engine in my 94, I only had 4 cylinders worth of valves damaged, and had compression on 3 or 4 cylinders.

The engine will stop spinning LONG before it can spin around far enough to introduce all of the valves to the pistons. Especialy with a lightweight flex plate, and not a flywheel.

Mike

if you take the oil cap off and look to see if the rockers move, while somebody else cranks it over.. then you will know if your timing chain is broken

:D
94m5 said:
no way he busted ALL of the valves in EVERY cylinder. I had 16 cam bearings sieze up in the old engine in my 94, I only had 4 cylinders worth of valves damaged, and had compression on 3 or 4 cylinders.

The engine will stop spinning LONG before it can spin around far enough to introduce all of the valves to the pistons. Especialy with a lightweight flex plate, and not a flywheel.

Mike

hence my "thats hard to fathom happening"

Well for starters guy l am a girl lol.
why l am asking this is someone has cranked the engine but say when you go to turn it over it stops and you have to crank it back.
The puddle was fairly deep and could not be avoided since l didn't know l was in it until it was to late.
l would say 3/4's of the way up the tires, the car stalled out immediately with no sounds at all.
l was going fairly slow since l was just leaving the parking lot. I have had it towed to pretty much another town to my fathers and he's been doing all the work on it, just trying to find some insight before l tow it back to the city.
we have checked the oil no water in it, oil is good. l am at a loss l love this car.

very possible hydrolock.

pull the plugs and crank if over. then perform compression test. if all 8 check out replace TB, MAF, IAT sensor, and IAC.

if you got REAL lucky you didnt damage anything serious.

ive only seen a hydrolock not damage internals once. 50% of the times it a bent rod. the other 50 its a hole in the block from a broken rod.

94m5 said:
yup....Pull the plugs disconnect the ignition coils, and crank her over.

Mike

id trip the inertia switch also so your not putting gas in there also. its in the trunk left hand side under the air ride switch just LIGHTLY hit it with a hammer and the red button will pop up when its tripped then when you are done you can just push the button down

thanks guys for the quick and helpful responses
l am just going on what my dad has said. he's almost positive there is no water in the engine. he also has repeatedly told me he doubts it's hydrolocked. I have no clue what to think :confused:
its frustrating thats for sure:mad:
thanks again if anyone else has anymore ideas just throw them here l sure need them

Great thread, This is a great example of the quality of support this site provides:D .

irock03, Good luck!!!

I know your pain.:slam

Theres a snorkle type deal that goes in your bumper from the bottom of the air box. You most likely sucked up some water into the cylinders. It would be worth while to just pull the plugs, disconnect the coils and crank it over.

when he turns the eng over are the accesories on the front of the eng turning? just throwing out guesses here but maby a broken crankshaft (just seemed to happen at the same time, would explane 0 comp on all cyls?)

chickenviii said:
when he turns the eng over are the accesories on the front of the eng turning? just throwing out guesses here but maby a broken crankshaft (just seemed to happen at the same time, would explane 0 comp on all cyls?)
It would take quite a load and high rpm to kill the crank. I say take it to a shop and get it diagnosed.

MarkVIII93 said:
It would take quite a load and high rpm to kill the crank. I say take it to a shop and get it diagnosed.

nope, i was driving my 87 f150 w/ 5.0 saw at 50 in forth gear (OD) and all of a sudden it made a bang and i coasted to the side of the road, had a buddy tow it home and when i dissassembled the engine it broke the crank just in front of the last 2 cyl's i dunno if thats her prob i was just saying to see if the stuff on the front was spinning with the engine
how does it sound when you try to start it?

chickenviii said:
nope, i was driving my 87 f150 w/ 5.0 saw at 50 in forth gear (OD) and all of a sudden it made a bang and i coasted to the side of the road, had a buddy tow it home and when i dissassembled the engine it broke the crank just in front of the last 2 cyl's i dunno if thats her prob i was just saying to see if the stuff on the front was spinning with the engine
how does it sound when you try to start it?
Thats also a completely different story. We're talking about 32v v8's not 5.slows.

Members online

No members online now.
Back