Engine light because of air filter?

rrrick

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was told that because I have the K&N cone air filter as an aftermarket part on my LS that it could be why my engine light is on. The reasoning is because it does not make a tight seal and the engine is reading it as a loose seal. One thing you should know is that the engine light on my LS keeps turning on and off. Is this really possible?

it is possible, when you replace air intakes, you shouldd disconnect your battery so your car computer can reset, and configure properly to the new intake.

also the oil from the filter can/will contaminate the mass air flow sensor and could cause it to fail.

Yup. It's critical that you not over-oil the K&N filters; it doesn't take much to damage the MAF sensor.

How did you get a K&N cone filter on your LS. The KKM setup everyone talks about on here is built for the LS but it uses a "powerstack" filter. I perfer a K&N filter and was thinking about building a tube that would mate to the MAF on one end and have a K&N cone on the other. Just curious how you did it. Maybe you have the new (03-06) LS and bought the K&N typhoon setup. I have the older style (00-02) no kit is available (wha wha wha).

About your engine light. I changed my air filter one time and forgot to reconnect the wire connector to the MAF. That tripped the CEL. I reconnected and it went out automatically, after afew miles. However when the CEL came on it stayed on, not on and off like you describe.

first ting to do is get the code that caused the CEL light - that will tell you what the car is complaining about.

The code keeps telling me its a cylinder 1 misfire, I've replaced the coil twice already so I'm guessing that's not it.

V8, What do you think it could be QuikLS? Should I just put back the stock filter and box? Some are saying K&N does not make the filter for 00-01 but I ordered it from them for my LS.

No, they were fine, I didn't do the job but I was told they were okay. We replaced them anyway. Also, my air filter is the cone shaped one without the airbox. I have noticed that if I move it around enough it will come loose.

one more q. who did the work on the coil? Are you CERTAIN they did cylinder 1 and not mistakenly another cylinder?

rrrick said:
No, they were fine, I didn't do the job but I was told they were okay. We replaced them anyway. Also, my air filter is the cone shaped one without the airbox. I have noticed that if I move it around enough it will come loose.
You have one that replaces the whole airbox with a cone filter? So you don't have a factory airbox in the car? I was under the impression that K&N did not make such a kit for the LS.

I was wrong, I apologize, the one I have is the True-Rev Sport Induction kit by Kurtz Kustomz Motorsports, Inc. from LSKoncepts.

and your good friend knows that Cyl one is on the PASSENGER side not the driver's side?

I need to ask a couple more questions so I can try to help you rrick.

1. Is this K&N cone filter the Typhoon unit that LS Koncepts sells with the tube and heat shield or is one of K&N's Universal cone filters that is only sized by the length and mounting ID?
2. Not to dis your friend but is he a professional mechanic and did he check the cylinder numbering on the sticker under the hood. Some engines number one bank even and the other odd, while others just start on one side and then cross over. Can't remember off the top of my head which the LS v8 is.
3. A leak around the air filter or oil on the MAF sensor will not cause the misfire in only one cylinder, there are many possible causes for a single cylinder misfire. But are you sure that is the code after the coil was replaced?'
4. also did the plug under the bad coil get replaced as well, it might be so carboned or otherwise fouled that it will not fire properly now.

JES_LS said:
I
4. also did the plug under the bad coil get replaced as well, it might be so carboned or otherwise fouled that it will not fire properly now.

Thats what I was thinking his problem might be.

Yeah, I have a question about this too. I have a 2006 V8 and installed the K&N Typhoon from LSK. It worked great but then today, I turn my car on and see the following message:

ETC ENGINE FAILSAFE MODE

What does that error mean? I tried searching but only got hits that had "engine" and "mode"... Has anyone had this problem before?

betcha you didn't reconnect the MAF cable or it's loose.

Members online

No members online now.
Back