Engine Detailing

97 Ivory Pearl VIII

See somethin' shiny?
Reaction score
Got the first chance of the season today to really put the clean on the Mark. I planned to give the engine bay the once over, but decided to wait 'til I asked for some feedback. Since there is a fair amount of plastic under the hood of a Gen II, would it hurt to use Armorall Wipes to shine up the alternator cover, front engine bay covers, hoses, battery, fan shroud and radiator cover, etc.?

I figure that the wipes don't have a whole bunch of Armorall on them, so I won't be soaking things down with it. Just enough to get a little shine on. The wipes would make it easy to get the stuff just where I wanted it.

Let's here it! Are there any plastic or rubber components that I should NOT use Armorall on (obviously not the serpentine belt)? What do you think?

All of them! Do not use armor all please!

I would degrease the engine with Meguiars "detailer line" Super Degreaser at a 4:1 ratio mix.

And then dress the engine with meguiars "detailer line" Hyper-dressing at a 1:1 ratio mix. The results are drop dead WOW.

Nysbadmk8 said:
All of them! Do not use armor all please!

I would degrease the engine with Meguiars "detailer line" Super Degreaser at a 4:1 ratio mix.

And then dress the engine with meguiars "detailer line" Hyper-dressing at a 1:1 ratio mix. The results are drop dead WOW.

Will the armor all do some type of damage or will it just look bad?

97 Ivory Pearl VIII said:
Will the armor all do some type of damage or will it just look bad?

Armor All accelrates the degradation of any type plastic.

bump...

I had a guy once spray the engine down w/ degreaser and once it dried he sprayed kerosene all over it. It looked VERY clean but I was a little confused about why you would spray kerosene all over the engine bay. Worked for him. Has anyone else ever heard of something like this?

My friend worked at a used car lot and they used that on all of them, I always use simple green.

Simple green is corrosive to aluminum. Thats why we quit using it in aviation. I use Eagle One tire wet and a rug to detail under the hood.

Members online

No members online now.
Back