Engine Detailing

97 Ivory Pearl VIII

See somethin' shiny?
Reaction score
Got the first chance of the season today to really put the clean on the Mark. I planned to give the engine bay the once over, but decided to wait 'til I asked for some feedback. Since there is a fair amount of plastic under the hood of a Gen II, would it hurt to use Armorall Wipes to shine up the alternator cover, front engine bay covers, hoses, battery, fan shroud and radiator cover, etc.?

I figure that the wipes don't have a whole bunch of Armorall on them, so I won't be soaking things down with it. Just enough to get a little shine on. The wipes would make it easy to get the stuff just where I wanted it.

Let's here it! Are there any plastic or rubber components that I should NOT use Armorall on (obviously not the serpentine belt)? What do you think?

Nysbadmk8

LVC Member
Reaction score
All of them! Do not use armor all please!

I would degrease the engine with Meguiars "detailer line" Super Degreaser at a 4:1 ratio mix.

And then dress the engine with meguiars "detailer line" Hyper-dressing at a 1:1 ratio mix. The results are drop dead WOW.

97 Ivory Pearl VIII

See somethin' shiny?
Reaction score
Nysbadmk8 said:
All of them! Do not use armor all please!

I would degrease the engine with Meguiars "detailer line" Super Degreaser at a 4:1 ratio mix.

And then dress the engine with meguiars "detailer line" Hyper-dressing at a 1:1 ratio mix. The results are drop dead WOW.

Will the armor all do some type of damage or will it just look bad?

Nysbadmk8

LVC Member
Reaction score
97 Ivory Pearl VIII said:
Will the armor all do some type of damage or will it just look bad?

Armor All accelrates the degradation of any type plastic.

06AtlantaLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
bump...

I had a guy once spray the engine down w/ degreaser and once it dried he sprayed kerosene all over it. It looked VERY clean but I was a little confused about why you would spray kerosene all over the engine bay. Worked for him. Has anyone else ever heard of something like this?

ground_zero298

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My friend worked at a used car lot and they used that on all of them, I always use simple green.

chris

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Simple green is corrosive to aluminum. Thats why we quit using it in aviation. I use Eagle One tire wet and a rug to detail under the hood.

Members online