engine clicking?

remark

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
whats up guys.
as some of you know i recently had a thermostat done after my car overheated. ever since i got the car back, its been making a slight ticking sound. it seems to go away or quite down once the engine warms up. if i rev the engine even a little bit engine noise quickly covers it up, nothing is clunking or knocking or anything. the problem is inconsistent, i tried letting a friend of mine listen to it and it was sounded perfect for 3 or 4 minutes but it started up again after that. the noise seems to be coming from the top portion of the engine.
any ideas fellas?

get out a stethoscope and listen to your motor pinpoint where the sound is coming form

any coolant in your oil?
i don't think so but ill have to double check. id like tot hink the shop i had the work done would have made sure of that but ill see.

get out a stethoscope and listen to your motor pinpoint where the sound is coming form

i tried checking that but didnt seem to have much luck. ill have to poke around in there some more

could be just loud injectors.
any specific reason they would get loud right after the car overheated and had the thermostat changed? the ticking speeds up when i give it a little gas but the engine noise masks it too much to really hear anything past 1000 rpms or so. the first couple days i had it the noise seemed to go away after warm up but now i can still hear it before i turn the car off.

Turn signal is on :)

damn it! the one thing i didnt check...wish it were so

the guy at the shop said it could be exhaust related. would that be coming from the top of the engine though? do they have to take that apart to do the thermostat?

The thermostat is at the bottom right of the front of your motor it has it's own housing with a bunch of hoses going to it. So no.

Is the noise coming from the very top of engine or side or where. This is becoming tough to help you diagnos if we do not have adequate info from you. And give us your best description of the noise heard and when does it usually happen,ie at start up, during warm up, during driving under load or at idle or all the above.

Can you still hear it if you sit in the car with the windows up and the radio on?

Silly question but have you changed the oil? Could be the lash adjusters.
i have not changed my oil, but should since the car overheated

Is the noise coming from the very top of engine or side or where. This is becoming tough to help you diagnos if we do not have adequate info from you. And give us your best description of the noise heard and when does it usually happen,ie at start up, during warm up, during driving under load or at idle or all the above.

noise is coming from the top of the engine, seems like where the air intake comes into the engine-ish. it happens when it starts up but usually quiets down when the car warms up, but can still be heard. if the engine moves above idle, engine noise quickly overcomes it. the noise is almost a ticking sound

Can you still hear it if you sit in the car with the windows up and the radio on?
in the car with windows up, yes, with the radio on at even low volume, no

i know its hard to diagnose engine noise through the internet, im just trying to get some input before i take it up to the shop next week (their pretty booked)

Valve guides on the #7&8 cylinders.

A rattle at start up is always tensioners but that sound usually goes away or gets fainter but it never sounds like clicking.

Faint tapping or clicking thats there all the time but quiet and then seems to only show up at moderate load is valve guides. It happens after the motor has been over heating. #7&8 are usually the ones that do it first because thats the hottest part of the engine.
Its a common issue that all Cobra owners have to worry about. It was predominant in the 03/04 Terminators but due to the cooling design any 4v head was vulnerable.

laser, i can only hear the clicking at idle, any engine noise covers it up. if it does get louder under load, i cant hear it.

noise is coming from the top of the engine, seems like where the air intake comes into the engine-ish. it happens when it starts up but usually quiets down when the car warms up, but can still be heard. if the engine moves above idle, engine noise quickly overcomes it. the noise is almost a ticking sound

I bet that is your injectors at start up and as the engine warms up, it quiets or is less noticeable. But your injectors do make a ticking sound and is uniformed as all are working in sequence.

Does it sound like this??? I never found out what it was, but most said it was a follower.

kind of, until you revved the engine. i dont think mine is nearly as loud as that because you wouldnt have been able to hear the ticking when the engine revved.

I bet that is your injectors at start up and as the engine warms up, it quiets or is less noticeable. But your injectors do make a ticking sound and is uniformed as all are working in sequence.

i dont know, all this after it overheated? i would have noticed this before hand..

i dont know, all this after it overheated? i would have noticed this before hand..

One most likely has nothing to do with the other, just coincidence. With the overheating issue you had, is tending to make you alittle more aware of your engine noises as you are now on edge in thinking you have bigger problems.

i sure hope your right, but im going to get it checked out either way just to be safe. i cant afford for this thing to blow up on me

laser, how would i check these valve guides?

i sure hope your right, but im going to get it checked out either way just to be safe. i cant afford for this thing to blow up on me

laser, how would i check these valve guides?
Dismantle the head.

Best thing is to give us a video of your noise and where its the loudest. Right now all we have is "Whats that clickin' noise?" :lol:

Dismantle the head.

Best thing is to give us a video of your noise and where its the loudest. Right now all we have is "Whats that clickin' noise?" :lol:

yeah i know. i was hoping someone else had their thermometer replaced and had the same thing happen lol

Members online

Back