Emissions Problems

lsdarkshadow

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Changed the oil, oil filter, coils, plugs, Custom Air filter, battery, and thermostst and took to get emissions tested. Also this car sits for five monthes outta the year. DMV told me my sensors were not all set and I needed to drive it more and come back. Okay. Drove it about two or three miles a day for a month. Same issue. One more month. Same issue.

Catalyst and Evap not set.

Also, for fun, for the first time ever it died at a stop light on my way there. (Three miles away). And again on the way back. After this wierd episode, my gas mileage went from 9 city to 15. WTF is wrong, why can't I get my sensor to reset. It didn't fail, they just won't read, and now it's decieded to cyt out. Both times fired back up. Any serious advice would be apprecieated.

Last edited:
You are going to have to drive it for way more than a few miles at a time. There is a specific driving procedure that you can follow to set all the monitors, but I don't have it. I'm sure that if you make a 100 mile round trip, all the monitors will get set.

You are going to have to drive it for way more than a few miles at a time. There is a specific driving procedure that you can follow to set all the monitors, but I don't have it. I'm sure that if you make a 100 mile round trip, all the monitors will get set.

I've gotten alot of good advice from you before so, I gotta ask if you belive those moniters would cause the car to cut at a red light? And, long trip would bother me if I can't even get three miles to the DMV. I am gonna try a little highway trip and see what happens. I just don't want to get stranded.

Has anyone ever had gas cap issues on the LS?

No, incomplete monitors would not cause your engine to stall. That is likely to be an unrelated problem.

Well, anyone else have the car die but restart and drive right away? It happened twice.

Well, anyone else have the car die but restart and drive right away? It happened twice.

yes it happens often for me...sometimes it almost stalls then catches itself, but on most occasions it will die, but restart....

now, mine is a different prob too. somtimes, my car won't start at all, the light on the dash will strobe and I have to turn the key on and off until it stops...then the car starts and drives normal.

when my car does stall 99% of the time the light on the dash is strobing. if I just try and start the car, it won't start, I have to turn the key off, then restart...don't know if its the same issue, but if it happens again, look at your pats light.

I've made several posts about this before, so if it is your issue, good luck figuring it out...unless you have the $ to throw parts at it...

Like Joe said - you have to actually do quite a bit of driving to run through all the readiness checks - and everytime you disconnect the battery or clear the CEL - you have to do it all over again.

here is the actual list for the Gen1

Attachments

• 2001 PCED On Board Diagnostics II.pdf
    16.9 KB · Views: 198
Like Joe said - you have to actually do quite a bit of driving to run through all the readiness checks - and everytime you disconnect the battery or clear the CEL - you have to do it all over again.

here is the actual list for the Gen1

Quik, you the man! Thanks! I don't suppose you have any advice on the random kill issue. It just died at the light, no sputter or alarm, no over heat or fluid leak or check engine light. Just died at the light, and then started right up. ....and drove fine. Damned LS gremlins.

Quik, you the man! Thanks! I don't suppose you have any advice on the random kill issue. It just died at the light, no sputter or alarm, no over heat or fluid leak or check engine light. Just died at the light, and then started right up. ....and drove fine. Damned LS gremlins.

when it dies, how low does your rpm go before shut off?

there was an early issue with the car suddenly stalling.

I believe the issue (happened to me):
- at speed
- coming to a fast stop
- then a quick turn
- engine dies

I believe - Lincoln worked on a fueling issue that was heightened with the throttle plate closed, and there was a PCM code update to correct the issue.

there was an early issue with the car suddenly stalling.

I believe the issue (happened to me):
- at speed
- coming to a fast stop
- then a quick turn
- engine dies

I believe - Lincoln worked on a fueling issue that was heightened with the throttle plate closed, and there was a PCM code update to correct the issue.

How would one go about correcting this?

Also Quik, i was toying with the idea of buying a second engine to SC so that eventually when my current V8 dies, I am ready to move to the next level. Would it be better to buy a block and build up from scratch, or buy a whole rebuild and adapt for the SC?

If it is a PCM code update - the dealer can reflash it with the latest code base for you car. No idea about the cost.

on the motor ? - Unless you are willing to do what Ken is doing - custom pistons, rods, ...$$$ - you really have no option but to buy a rebuild. you cannot buy the internals seperately from Ford, only a loaded block.

Either way - unless you are going to rework the compression ratio, you will be adapting a sc to a stock engine.

im no expert, and my car hasn't died at the light yet, but i do drive a good 45-50 mins on the e-way each way to and from work everyday and it seems like when i get off the freeway and stop at the light my rpms drop pretty hard and the car adjusts to keep it from stalling. i know this is a very different set up from my 95 yukon but it feels like an issue i had with that, with a faulty idle air bypass valve. i believe ive read that the lincolns don't have one of those but there has to be something controlling the air intake.

im no expert, and my car hasn't died at the light yet, but i do drive a good 45-50 mins on the e-way each way to and from work everyday and it seems like when i get off the freeway and stop at the light my rpms drop pretty hard and the car adjusts to keep it from stalling. i know this is a very different set up from my 95 yukon but it feels like an issue i had with that, with a faulty idle air bypass valve. i believe ive read that the lincolns don't have one of those but there has to be something controlling the air intake.

2000 - 2002 have an idle air bypass valve (aka IAC).
2003 - 2006 don't. The position of the main (and only) throttle plate is used to control idle.

wow, this post was from two years ago!

Okay, we jump on people for not searching before posting. Should we also complain when they do search and add their question to an old but similar post?

LMAO.. You replied to a two year old post and started with Im not an expert and my car doesn't have this problem.... thats awesome... not knocking you, just really funny...:Beer

Listen Guys, I wasn't mad. Hell, it was originally my post! I was just suprised to see it. It's like running into an old friend at the mall.

Members online

No members online now.
Back