electrical issues

kaball

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I got in my car today and turned it on and it started. I know normal right?:D The problem was after I turned the car on. The A/C was on and blowing but the temp control display was not on. Also my gauges were not working, the trip odometer and the mpg/miles to empty was blank. After maybe 20sec they finally turned on. Car started without a problem and my radio head turned on with out a problem. I did hear some clicking down by my feet maybe a fuse or relay? any ideas??

Well, it's not a fuse. They're either blown or not. They don't heal themselves. It could be a relay, but if it is it will be one of the ones in the trunk. I think that it's more likely that one of your power junctions or main grounds is loose.

Have your battery tested and see if you can find the clicking noise.

A clicking noise by his feet would probably come from the FEM. It does have some [non-replaceable] relays inside. However, this could just be a symptom of whatever was causing his problem, instead of the source of the problem itself.

Well, it's not a fuse. They're either blown or not. They don't heal themselves. It could be a relay, but if it is it will be one of the ones in the trunk. I think that it's more likely that one of your power junctions or main grounds is loose.

If the relay is blown will it be obvious? I've never had to deal with them before :confused: I'm at work now but I can try and get a break to check the relays.

I think that it's more likely that one of your power junctions or main grounds is loose.

Where would be a good place to start?

If the relay is blown will it be obvious? I've never had to deal with them before :confused: I'm at work now but I can try and get a break to check the relays.

Where would be a good place to start?

No, not usually obvious just by looking. You can try switching them around.

ok so this is what I have found so far. I checked my fuses and relays in both the trunk and under the hood. I havent checked the door panel yet. Under the hood relay number 14 the PCM one was a bit corroded.

the socket
20111117165839662.jpg
By kaballerau at 2011-11-17

The relay
20111117165846136.jpg

I drove around for 10min and the lights dimmed on me. I changed my tail lights out (unrelated) and looked at some of the other relays.

They are just about all the same so I marked the corroded one and switched them around. Nothing. Still dim lights on the interior.

20111117182157183.jpg

2011111718220217.jpg

20111117182209556.jpg

These are all off my phone since I didnt have a camera with me. All the dome, door, and trunk lights work along with the radio. And if I open my door the right lcd panel works fine until I close the door and it dims again.

Last edited:
Not to sound condescending........ Did you check the dimmer switch?

Not to sound condescending........ Did you check the dimmer switch?
lol that would be my luck. but that shouldn't dim the ac controls. i will check just in case though. if it is then i will be humbled and embarrassed :D

ok so my dimmer switch was down and i feel like an idiot for wasting everybodys time. on another note they still don't turn on right away after ignition. like i said i feel like a total noob but it still doesn't feel right to me.

ok so my dimmer switch was down and i feel like an idiot for wasting everybodys time. on another note they still don't turn on right away after ignition. like i said i feel like a total noob but it still doesn't feel right to me.

Well, anyway you now know that your PCM relay/socket was headed for failure (not unheard of). I'd clean up the socket and the relay.
BTW, this stuff is really good for that.
Amazon.com: Hosa D5S-6 Deoxit Contact Cleaner 5% Spray: Musical Instruments

if your lights are set on automatic, then everything will dim if the dimmer switch is down (lights default to on when the car is started - IIRC) so if you start the car and your dimmer switch is down...there will be a couple sec delay waiting for your light sensor to read and turn off the lights......

Thank you guys. I will be cleaning the socket when I get my hands on that stuff. I still feel like a dumb ass lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back