Electric fan conversion using the original shroud

thought i would report in on my electric fan conversion. I wound up buying an inexpensive universal cooling fan from advance auto , don't remember the brand. I mounted it inside the original shroud ,similar to the OP, trimming all the mounting tabs and whatnot out of the shroud , made an adapter ring and attached it with a zillion zip ties. It has worked flawlessly through the hottest summer on record last year , never a hint of overheating and no noticable load on the charging system. Now if I could get those stupid swaybar bushings to shut up

Gunzip, Do you have a Gen I or Gen II LS? If it's a Gen I, was wondering how the alternator has held up? I need to replace my hydraulic cooling fan motor and pump (leaking like a sieve) and would rather go electric.

TN , gen1 . I had worried that the alternator might not output enough for the fan but have had no issues at all . The fan puked on me exactly one week after the warranty ran out lol how do they time that?
Dropped another one in there using the same setup , a hayden , from oreilleys with longer warranty... now on to clock spring , dccv , sway bar bushings, window regulator, .....

My alternator was maxed out amperage wise but has held up well. Untill I added a 200 watt Rockford Fosgate amp, now its struggling. If your hydraulic fan pump is leaking bad its leaking onto your alternator so beware. Clean it up with a good electrical contact cleaner before you re-install it.

Tried following Halfgig's instructions adding a Flex-a-Lite 160 fan to my 2000 Lincoln LS.

If the fan is on engine stalls out. If the fan is not running the engine runs great.

I wired the the fan exactly as indicated in this thread.

Any ideas why the engine dies when the fan is on? To test the fan I moved the green wire to "M" terminal in order to bypass the thermo-switch.

Did you use the green wire for anything?

The gen II electric fan is powered from the electrical junction in the right wheel well that passes power from the battery to the starter and the alternator. That would probably be a good place to get power for this fan. Alternately, the "B" terminal on the starter should work.

I would suggest that where you wired yours is drawing causing a voltage drop that is too high for whatever else is on that circuit to be able to run.

Members online

No members online now.
Back