Eclipse AVN5435 vs. Pioneer AVIC-D1

I having my AVIC _N2 installed so I will not be able to bypass it unless I take it out myself again. I am under the impression that if you set it before you start rolling you will be able to view the map in real time. I am not over concerned with playing movies in the front while rolling. It has duel zone and I am in the process of getting a rear moniter.

hello guys, i'm new to this forum. But i have a question. I have hooked up the D1 in my lincoln LS, i must say it looks very nice. I have done research on the bypass so that you can play with the navi while you're driving.

I found the extra wire harness trcik, but it seemds that it doesn't work. Now i do have the Vss wire hooked up. Do i need to disconnect it when i'm grounding the extra wire and the parking wire.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

thanks,
Ahmad

Joey,

Do you have a DVD player hooked up to your HU? I'm looking to add an external video source but I'm not exactly sure how, and if anything else is needed.

What I would truly like to do is add a video ipod and have that as my video source. If i do get this hooked up for video, and then just played music, wouldn't it then just play the music with no video on the source? Is there any flaws in my logic? Does anyone see any disadvantages to doing this? I basically want any video I want, and music all from one source (I hate cds).

Thanks

Not having a nav/video unit myself, I can't guarantee how well that would work, but yes, it should work. The ipod video headphone jack can actually be used to send video as well using a cable with a 1/8" stereo plug on one end and 3 RCA jacks on the other(although apple claims that you NEED their "special" cord to do this, when in reality you dont, you just have to plug your RCA's in in an odd manner, switching the red and yellow leads). The disadvantage being, it wont charge the ipod like that, you'd need a car charger for it. I'm not aware of any car stereo control units for video ipods that support video through the docking port, although I suppose you could use a universal home dock with some creativity.

Do any of these units have a removable screen? I hate to leave something of obvious high value just sitting there in my dash. There's alot done to my car that has literally prevented it from being stolen, but you can't stop someone from punching in your window, aside from making the prospect undesirable. :(

ok so what about the difference between the N1 and the D1 (D2)... i have an N1 and want to upgrade to a D2... is this a dumb move? what are the differences between the 2 models...

Does anyone have the updated Maps for the D2 they can burn for me? I bought a D1 on ebay for a reasonable price, but it had no maps.

Dominus said:
Do any of these units have a removable screen? I hate to leave something of obvious high value just sitting there in my dash. There's alot done to my car that has literally prevented it from being stolen, but you can't stop someone from punching in your window, aside from making the prospect undesirable. :(

As far as I can tell, the D1/2 is NOT removable. I may be wrong tho as I hav'nt had time to play with it much.

Mike

BTW, Where did you guys hook your speed signal wire up at? I went off of the + side of the speedometer signal on the back of the instrument cluster. Am I good or no?

Thanks Mike. I am getting mine hooked up this weekend. I checked with the install guys at Circuit City. They told me the DVD's for the D2 will work for the D1. I will inquire about the speedometer thing.

LennDawg said:
ok so what about the difference between the N1 and the D1 (D2)... i have an N1 and want to upgrade to a D2... is this a dumb move? what are the differences between the 2 models...

N1/N2 are the regular din with he slideout screen

D2 is the double din with the "fixed" screen.

Mike, you're better off tapping the VSS lead going into your computer. The + side of the speedo, from what i can tell is a different type of votage pulse. though, it my be ok, since the unit is self calibrating.

Frogman said:
N1/N2 are the regular din with he slideout screen

D2 is the double din with the "fixed" screen.

Mike, you're better off tapping the VSS lead going into your computer. The + side of the speedo, from what i can tell is a different type of votage pulse. though, it my be ok, since the unit is self calibrating.

Thanks frogman,

I'm gonna try it like it is for now. How long did you have to wait for the unit to calibrate it's self to the VSS signal?

I honestly don't remember. then again, I drove the car under open sky for a 1000 mile trip the next day after the install, so I'm sure it didn't take that long.

All the Speed signal lead does is tell the unit the car is still moving when it has no GPS signal, so that it may keep accurate map tracking... well that and the vehicle dynamics speedo screen.

Hey Frogman and 94m5. I just got my D1 installed today, and it looks great. I have some information about you for the VSS wire. My installer tapped the wire behind the speedometer. The green with white stripe. This is the one you need to use. Also, I elected not to install the trim ring because it looked ugly around the outside of the panel, thus leaving a small opening around the radio. How did you fix this on your mark?

100_3654.jpg

I have my trim ring installed. I had to do a little trimming to fit it correctly, but all in all. I Like it alot.

Well Gman, it looks good, but please, with all repsect, telling someone who's had a D2 for almost a year with ABSOLUTELY no related problems which wire he "needs" to use is kinda silly, don't you think?

I tapped the VSS wire going INTO the computer. The one that feeds the computer raw on/off pulses, not some wire that's most likely a variable votage wire that feeds the instrument cluster. I'm curious how your unit will calibrate based on that wire now. Please let us know. Seriously.

But, whatever works, I guess.

Well, I have a feeling that comment was directed torwards me, seeing as how I was just asking about it in this same thread.

Little jumpy are'nt we?

My friend is a Master installer at a shop here. He accessed a website called Installogy. He had everything he need to know about the Mark on that site. It told him to tap the Green with white stripe wire behind the spedo. We then calibrated it using the 3D Calibration. I cleared the Distance, Speed Pulse, and it learned my location. I drove around the block about 4 times. Then everything synced up.

Sorry Frogman, I was only passing on info.:)

Also, Mike, how did you trim your trim ring? From the inside of the ring or the outside of the ring? Also, did you mount the ring, over the wood panel?

Members online

Back