Eclipse AVN5435 vs. Pioneer AVIC-D1

2002 LS V8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a 2Din Navigation HU. I am looking for reviews anyone may have out there from personally owning either unit. Does anyone have the D1 installed in their LS? I know the Eclipse fits with some modification, would it be the same process to install the D1?

I'm pretty sure I'd rather have the Eclipse, seems like an all around better unit. Problem being, I can get the D1 for $850 and the cheapest I have found the Eclipse is $1200. I don't think I can justify the price difference, but still would like everyone's opinions.

I was looking into the Eclipse 5495, but that runs 2k.. not excited about that.. but now you got me looking at the pioneer avic-d1 and I'm seeing a lot of things I like. Am curious to see opinions from people as well. I haven't decided yet, either getting navigation for the LS, or buying a motorcycle lol.

Factors that played for me; The AvicD1 Is not able to be bypassed to use the navigation while in motion. Also, The D1 does not have dvd playback, only Navigation disc. So, depends on what you want to do, use just navi or use it for movies too. I personally went with the Alpine Iva-D310 Touchscreen, VERY good quality product and very easy to use.

haha, I believe he was referring to the inability to change the navigation options while the car is in motion. This is apparently easily bypassed though by adding a wire to the wire harness.

lsondubz said:
The AvicD1 Is not able to be bypassed to use the navigation while in motion.

Not true...

Instructions to disable the lockout
OK, we figured out the real way to bypass the lockouts on the new
Pioneer nav systems. It is real simple, and does not require any
complex switches or anything. This bypass will do two things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they
should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving

AVIC-N2: Underneath the unit is a small silver sticker, peel this
back. There are two contacts with the label "R197". Drop a bit of
solder between these to connect them.

AVIC-D1: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector. Put this wire into the open spot on the connector, connect it to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1.

Im installing this unit in my 1998 Mark VIII literally as I type this. (my car is in pieces in the garage)

pepperman said:
i was going to ask you if you had finished installing it yet.

Just finished installing dynomat in the trunk and backseat -- all but 2 speakers are installed, amp, etc installed. Bascially 2 tweeters to install and the head unit itself. I completely replaced the audio in the car - wires, amp, everything. To be fair and clear, Jibit is doing most of the work - and breakin his ass to make it perfect. (something I am quite appreciative of) So its taking a little longer - but we expect to have it done for the meet tomorrow.

94M5 just called and said he made it in town, so IM going to have him come over here, order pizza, and we'll get it finished up tonight. Quick detail in the morning and off to the meet.

Be sure to post alot of pics Joey,it is the only way i can tell who is who!!!!!

2002 LS V8 said:
I'm pretty sure I'd rather have the Eclipse, seems like an all around better unit. Problem being, I can get the D1 for $850 and the cheapest I have found the Eclipse is $1200. I don't think I can justify the price difference, but still would like everyone's opinions.

Boy...do I disagree with that. The Eclipse is a very good unit, but every board I've been to...along with personal experience...has nothing but high praise for the Pioneer. It's display graphics are phenominal...and the NAV and POI are second to none. Not only that, but the ability to use XMTraffic is a HUGE plus in a metro area.

Got mine installed now. I have a few more things to do but its basically done.

First, for you lincoln mark viii owners, it is NOT a direct fit. You will have to cut your dash. But - dont worry - doing so doesnt affect anything else.

First impression so far.... WOW. The sound is fantastic. (of course the Diamond audio speakers and amp that we installed have something to do with that too) But the sound is highly controllable from the pioneer unit.

Menus are pretty good, bold and colorful. Pretty easy to find and figure out, although it'll take some time for me to learn it all because there is so much.

Real cool thing. the nav system will look up places of interest -- gas stations, fast food, hospitals, etc. near where you are.

I have alot more playing to do - but I am very highly impressed so far.

Joey, I'm in the process of looking for 95 dash to swap in my 93. I plan to make it double din to take the the AVIC D1. If you took any pics of the install and the finished product. I would appreciate a look see.

lsondubz said:
Factors that played for me; The AvicD1 Is not able to be bypassed to use the navigation while in motion.

Really? And you base the above statement on what, exactly? Heresay, or actual experience? With respect sir, I think.. nay, KNOW you are grossly mistaken about that.

Also, the Pioneer has something like 11million Points of interest, whereas the Eclipse has around 5 million, IIRC... furthermore, the Pioneer D1 and N2 (along with N1 with firmware upgrade) support XM Navtraffic, and it integrates it directly into your navigation route. It is a neat thing. Something Eclipse does not offer, last I checked.

GMAN said:
Joey, I'm in the process of looking for 95 dash to swap in my 93. I plan to make it double din to take the the AVIC D1. If you took any pics of the install and the finished product. I would appreciate a look see.

Mark_Pioneer.gif

_MG_0256%20(Large).gif

Now that is what I'm talking about! I definately need to swap the dash in my 93 to a 95. Even though I don't do long distance travelling in my Mark, the only reason I was particularly interested in the Eclipse is because of it's Sirius ready capability. I know the Avic-D1 is XM. I'm heavilly invested in Sirius. I have three subscriptions.

Frogman said:
Really? And you base the above statement on what, exactly? Heresay, or actual experience? With respect sir, I think.. nay, KNOW you are grossly mistaken about that.

Actually Frogman, he's correct. You can't go in to the AVIC-D1 and change some of your navigation controls unless you stop the car as delivered from Pioneer. For example, look up a POI while driving down the road. However, this is EASILY bypassed!!!

GMAN said:

I did - see my photo garage. Installed pics are there. 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

vbpgimage.php

2001LS8Sport said:
Actually Frogman, he's correct. You can't go in to the AVIC-D1 and change some of your navigation controls unless you stop the car as delivered from Pioneer. For example, look up a POI while driving down the road. However, this is EASILY bypassed!!!

Yes - exactly. It is very easily bypassed.

OK, we figured out the real way to bypass the lockouts on the new
Pioneer nav systems. It is real simple, and does not require any
complex switches or anything. This bypass will do two things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they
should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving

AVIC-N2: Underneath the unit is a small silver sticker, peel this
back. There are two contacts with the label "R197". Drop a bit of
solder between these to connect them.

AVIC-D1: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector. Put this wire into the open spot on the connector, connect it to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1.

2001LS8Sport said:

I know it is EASILY bypassed. I bypassed mine in less than 5 minutes. Joey gets the credit for finding out about it though. I was just the guineea pig.

I was refering to this:
lsondubz said:
The AvicD1 Is not able to be bypassed to use the navigation while in motion.

Mr. Dubz did not have all of his info correct.

That looks pretty good in there joey. Who installed it? I may have some questions for them........:D

Mike

94m5 said:
That looks pretty good in there joey. Who installed it? I may have some questions for them........:D

Mike

Forgive me for not giving credit - 94m5 was good enough to install the head unit for me, and jibit did the speakers and amp. I mostly paid for the beer and cracked jokes :D

Members online

Back