EAM Relay

johnboy89

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have a pic or can explain what the EAM relay looks like. This is the relay used on 2nd gen's to inject air into the catalyst for the first few minutes of running? Location won't help as the car has already been parted.

I need to use it for a swap that I'm doing.

Thanx:)

never heard of EAM relay?

and I'd figured I'd replaced every M8 part there was at one point or another.

can you tell me/us where its located?

never heard of EAM relay?

and I'd figured I'd replaced every M8 part there was at one point or another.

can you tell me/us where its located?

The pump assy. is located near the harmonic balance in the front of the engine. According to the wiring diagram the pump turns on for 2 minutes mostly when the engine is first started.

I swapped a 98 engine into a Mazda and the only troubles code I have now is this secondary air injection code. I was going to try and hook up this relay to try and eliminate the code.

Maybe a better question I should ask is can the code or the counter be modified to eliminate the code in the programming?? I used the sniper software when I tuned it.

You can remove the air injection pump with no ill effects, but you will not get red of the cel. the computer measures the difference in the air in the exhaust if the pump is not working after 3 drive cycles your Cel will light up.
Sniper cannot disable this in the tune.

By what I have seen in the S/M (wiring and PC/ED manuals) the PCM is looking for +10.5 volts on pin 5 of the PCM connector for 2 minutes after start up to monitor the EAIR operation. An easy relay circuit should take care of this. Of course this is just my theory on the subject

The relay is exactly the same as the air compressor relay, a small black box, about 1.5-2" high and about 1" wide right next to the air pump

By what I have seen in the S/M (wiring and PC/ED manuals) the PCM is looking for +10.5 volts on pin 5 of the PCM connector for 2 minutes after start up to monitor the EAIR operation. An easy relay circuit should take care of this. Of course this is just my theory on the subject

The relay is exactly the same as the air compressor relay, a small black box, about 1.5-2" high and about 1" wide right next to the air pump

YES this is exactly what I want to do, hopefully it will work???

I'll post back with results.

Now I have to see if I can find this thing in my Mark VIII parts!!!!!

Here is pic of the engine right after I installed it last year.

kids007.jpg
[/IMG]

If you used a relay for this, then it would be like this for a run of the mill 30 amp relay
terminals 86 and 30= constant +12v
terminal 85= pin 70 on PCM
terminal 87= pin 5 on PCM

Doing that you won't have to build a timer circuit, just let the PCM do it. It will get batt voltage on pin 5 and then it should be happy.

That will only take care of the pump self check you will still get a check engine like, the ECM measures current change in the O2 sensors when the pump is in start cycle if there is no air injected into the system you will get the check engine light, I can look up the specific code. trust me my air pump is removed I had sniper write it out for me. PS Commando wont address the air pump flow cycle it will disable EGR and AIR relay charge only. Sniper will only disable the EGR.

That will only take care of the pump self check you will still get a check engine like, the ECM measures current change in the O2 sensors when the pump is in start cycle if there is no air injected into the system you will get the check engine light, I can look up the specific code. trust me my air pump is removed I had sniper write it out for me. PS Commando wont address the air pump flow cycle it will disable EGR and AIR relay charge only. Sniper will only disable the EGR.

just did some more research and well you're right.

I could send you a copy of my tune file, but I don't think it will do you much good:) Its set for my Isky cams, higher compresion, larger MAS, ect......... I could see if I can set the base parameters back to stock and maintain the AIR delete and EGR delete.

I could send you a copy of my tune file, but I don't think it will do you much good:) Its set for my Isky cams, higher compresion, larger MAS, ect......... I could see if I can set the base parameters back to stock and maintain the AIR delete and EGR delete.

I haven't checked with Sniper yet, but sounds like it can be written out????

If you wanted to do that it would be great. I also have the rear O2 shut off.

Do you Know what your box year and code is? Mine is an off the wall one. If it is not compatible Sniper is real easy to deal with, they helped me out allot.

By what I have seen in the S/M (wiring and PC/ED manuals) the PCM is looking for +10.5 volts on pin 5 of the PCM connector for 2 minutes after start up to monitor the EAIR operation.

turning that off in the PCM is ST00PID easy!!!!

point click..wala, no air injection or CEL

Do you Know what your box year and code is? Mine is an off the wall one. If it is not compatible Sniper is real easy to deal with, they helped me out allot.

I'm going to give Sniper a call tomorrow and see how I can go about shutting it off.

Thanx for the offer to help though!!

Do you know who at Sniper wrote it out for you???? I'm not having much luck with them doing it:mad:

Or does anybody have access or know someone who does who can write this out. I can't believe that it's that difficult:confused:

Members online

No members online now.
Back