Dumping oil when started...

murder_mobile

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just moved to a house with a driveway, so I just noticed this. It's leaking from the front of the engine, doesn't leak when car is off, but it does when started, once the car heats up it doesn't leak. Either front crank seal, pan gasket or oil filter adapter gasket, I'm hoping the latter as I don't want to have to drop the k-member. Is this common? I haven't been able to find exactly where its coming from because the car is so low. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

From what I stated what does it sound like? I feel like with the crank seal and pan gasket it would constantly leak.

As slow mark stated, either oil filter adaptor gasket or oil pressure sending unit. Start with the sending unit as it is cheap and very easy to do. Clean the area really good with brakcleen and start it up. Good luck!

I had both leaking on my 97 Mark VIII, the oil filter adapter gasket and the sender. I think I might have broke the sender when I did the adapter gasket, or they both always leaked.

When I bought it the oil filter was way over tightened, like they thought that is what was causing the oil leak. I have over 400,000 combined miles on other 4.6 2v cast iron blocks and no problems with the oil filter gaskets on them, you see a few posts about them, but nothing like on the Mark VIIIs.

I had to pressure wash the underside of the car, the drivers side block, and really watch it to determine the oil filter gasket was leaking. I thought at first it was the oil pressure sender but there was oil coating places it couldn't be from the sender alone. I had quite a bit of oil on the ground before replacing the gasket, then with the sender leaking only it was less but still obvious.

It coated my engine, transmission, exhaust, everything with oil. Now that is all clean, no more oil coating the driveway.
11783511615_93b2a1d9d0_b.jpg

This is what I would get dripping off everything when parked (this is probably parking the car over the tray 3 times:
11791741794_614b098e6f_b.jpg

This was after cleaning it up once and running it for a week or so.
11783922964_5f13a01841_b.jpg

The oil filter gasket wasn't the funnest thing I have ever done, and I struggled with it, but obviously it much easier to do than an oil pan gasket. I am sure I could do it much faster this time, removing the drivers wheel to and going through their makes a couple bolts easier than trying from underneath.
11783905914_55c719caff_b.jpg

Yeah, the oil filter adapter gasket is a fairly common one, the one on my '96 took a dump at about 94k. Though, it only let loose with oil after shutdown, and a good amount of it. But of course, as others have said, that, and the sender are going to be the first things you'll want to look into. The pan gasket seems like a moderate nightmare, which doesn't excite me either. I've heard tell this is one of those jobs one can do by jacking the engine up, or does the pan require more clearance than that to get past the K-member? Lincoln dealership told me once upon a time that the engine needs to be dropped to do it, but I had a hard time swallowing that tale. I've got a very slow seep, and I know it really needs to be done, but at the time I can't warrant doing it for only adding a tiny dribble every 3-4k miles.

I just moved to a house with a driveway, so I just noticed this. It's leaking from the front of the engine, doesn't leak when car is off, but it does when started, once the car heats up it doesn't leak. Either front crank seal, pan gasket or oil filter adapter gasket, I'm hoping the latter as I don't want to have to drop the k-member. Is this common? I haven't been able to find exactly where its coming from because the car is so low. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mine did this exact same thing. Oil filter housing gasket. Change this and you'll leak no more :) Mine was $6 at rockauto.com

As slow mark stated, either oil filter adaptor gasket or oil pressure sending unit. Start with the sending unit as it is cheap and very easy to do. Clean the area really good with brakcleen and start it up. Good luck!

I would just go ahead and do both, you're in there and dirty anyway, what another $8.99 and 45 more minutes of your time.

I would just go ahead and do both, you're in there and dirty anyway, what another $8.99 and 45 more minutes of your time.

I wish I had done the same thing, one time cleaning everything up, climbing under it, etc.

Oil filter adapter gasket. Mine started with a slow leak a couple weeks ago however I drive my Mark about 20 miles a month so I haven't really caused it to get worst. Labor is not easy. I plan on taking mine to the shop in January.

Thankyou guys for all your help. I finally got around to replacing the oil filter adaptor gasket and while i was in there I replaced the thermostat and oil pressure sender. The "thermostat" that was in the car was gutted, which I guess explained why it never heated up all the way. Now, a few months later the leak has returned, which sucks after all that work. Also, the engine temp isn't constant, it was running fine up until a month ago. Sometimes the temp needle wont move from cold, sometimes it will be in the "normal" area, and sometimes it will start to overheat out of nowhere. I'm guessing its either the thermostat or maybe i didn't burp the system the correctly. Any advise would help alot.

Members online

No members online now.
Back