Dummy at the gas station

Octanes?

"dude, i always have 85 octain in my Mark and i take Rustang GT's like nothing...."

Where does anyone get 85 octane?
Up here in the Pacific Northwest 30 minutes north of the 49th parallell we have 87, 89, 92 but there are certain Chevron stations that have 94. It is sold by the litre and there is a five cents increase for each octane so the 94 would be 15 cents a litre more. I cross the border to USA and buy 92octane at only 4 cents more a litre, yes border town stations sell to us Canadians by the litre. At those prices I cannot understand buying 87 octane and the car does run smoother on 92. From time to time I splurge & buy the 94 octane from Chevron and the difference is noticeable

Some gas stations used to offer 85 back in the early 90's or something. Might have been before that. I just know that 85 has been used at gas stations before.

You can still find 85 octane at some places. rare, but it exists. It's a perfectly good way to fuel an old piece of junk without spending a lot of money. ;)

MarkVIII93 said:
Not having a job doesnt help me put premium in my tank. Its ok though, Im going to try to apply up at the local parts store so I can atleast be able to put gas in my tank.

Hmmm...get a job...so you can drive your car...to work...

I've gone completley to 87, I try a couple tanks of premieum in a row, and honestly can't tell Any differance, so I just can't see the extra...
My milage Did drop from 28+ to ~24, but the higher octane dosn't show Any improvement after 2 tanks, and that's pretty much all highway.

If you think octane is not important in these cars, go hit the nitrous a few times with only 87 octane, pull your plugs and look at them with a 30-50 power pocket micro-scope, I got mine at raidio shack. those little shinny metal balls on the ends of the electrodes are pieces of your pistons that are being destroyed by pre-ignition detonation.any detonation WILL kill your engine, these engines are PREMIUM fuel only for a reason, they have higher compression, that's why you need premium fuel, and just because you don't hear pinging {detonation} does not mean that it is not happening, most of the time you wont hear it and when you do it's doing MAJOR damage, The only octane booster that really works is mixing racing gas with pump gas. I mix 105 octane VP with pump premium which is 91 octane here,I use it in my Mustang and Lincoln, and you can really tell the difference.

Members online

No members online now.
Back