Dummy at the gas station

Dazedust

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have always used 93 octane in the car since i owned it in feb. A couple days ago a gas station attendant put 87 in the whip. The next day the car started stuttering and the check engine sign came on. I have a 97 mark lsc, wha will that do to the car, what to do to fix it????

same thing happened to my 1990 Town Car and after a tune up (distributor cap,wires,plugs) it evened it out... But what will really fix your stuttering problem is to go back to the gas station that put 87 into your car and let them meet Mr. Molotov Cocktail through the window!

It shouldn' t hurt anything so quickly. If your not noticing any pinging, I would top off with the good stuff as soon as a few gallons fit, and again if your concerned. I've done it myself by mistake.

There is truly no reason at all to run low octane fuel in a high octane engine.

Any savings you get from purchasing this fuel will be offset by your reduced fuel economy, and high octane fuel tends to be better quality fuel as well.

Anyway, run Prestone Octane Booster. It wil help ease the effects of the low octane fuel.

Not having a job doesnt help me put premium in my tank. Its ok though, Im going to try to apply up at the local parts store so I can atleast be able to put gas in my tank.

man if you got the money for burnouts you got the money for 93, I always put in 93 and now i have to with the sct chip. you are only saving a dollar or two just dont get that homosexual apple pie at mcdonalds and then you can afford 93. its real simply

I had a bad distributor one time in one of my older cars, and the timing shot up so high that it would knock like a diesel going up a hill. So that i could get it home without killing my engine, I dumped in Prestone octane booster to help it out. Knocking stopped.

However, I did fix my distributor.

MarkOfDeath said:
man if you got the money for burnouts you got the money for 93, I always put in 93 and now i have to with the sct chip. you are only saving a dollar or two just dont get that homosexual apple pie at mcdonalds and then you can afford 93. its real simply
Yeah, I dont have money for burnouts either. Homosexual apple pie?!?! Im not Mr.Wilson!

Black87LSC said:
Dude, did you forget about the pic in your sig??? LOL
Nope, I really dont have any money for anything after my trans, exhaust, and the richmond gear and plug wires i just ordered. But you guys have a point that the gas mileage is better with 93 and I would spend less money putting 93 in my tank and getting good gas mileage than putting 87 in my tank and getting poor gas mileage.

MarkVIII93 said:
Nope, I really dont have any money for anything after my trans, exhaust, and the richmond gear and plug wires i just ordered. But you guys have a point that the gas mileage is better with 93 and I would spend less money putting 93 in my tank and getting good gas mileage than putting 87 in my tank and getting poor gas mileage.

Exactly, you'll save more money in the long run using the higher octane. I bought my car from my friend who allways put the cheap crap. The car had power and everything but when i bought the car and put the 93 in it i had increased gas mileage more power and it feels alot more crisp and smooth under acceleration. Thats alot of improvement for 20 cents more then the cheap crap. I allways told my friend to use the higher octane, oh well he'll learn when I smoke his new tiburon gt,lol. He allways tells me how he misses the power,lol.

dude, i always have 85 octain in my Mark and i take Rustang GT's like nothing....

i wonder if i'd get a Cobra with 93 :p

I've not seen much difference by runnig either also... I do notice a drop in mileage...

I suppose if I was racing I'd make sure I had 93 O in mine and I usually do run 93 unless I stop at a place that has only 89 for Premium.

Anyway I've never had any nocking.

Solution, Drop some Sea Foam into her and clean her out... You could have put in some :q:q:q:q gas.... watered down....

Also correct me if I'm wrong but octain boost really isn't adding any octain to your car from what I have heard. It's more of a injector cleaner. So put in Sea Foam or Lucas engine treatment.

I would guess the CE light would be from the 02 sensors with the possible change of gas. Can't see what else that would have caused.

Lincolns Own said:
dude, i always have 85 octain in my Mark and i take Rustang GT's like nothing....

i wonder if i'd get a Cobra with 93 :p

WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET 85 OCTANE?! I don't get why people don't use premium gas in their car if premium is what is recommended. $HIT, I use 89-93 in my '89 TOWN CAR! Also, if you can afford the "cheap $hit," you can afford premium as someone said earlier in the thread. :soapbox: GAS THREADS SUCK!!!:soapbox:

Putting 87 in your Mark VIII just because it will run on it, is like going to McDonald's on your wedding Anniversary because your wife can eat it.

Just because it starts and runs does not mean it is good for your car.

Mcdonalds sure is popular in this thread. I have to agree. Its like buying skunky beer to drink with good friends, gonna get drunk either way. But you'd really rather drink the good stuff. Our Marks rather drink the good stuff, if it could fill itself up it would.

Members online

Back