Drove an '01 V8 Today...

All2kool

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
...and although I liked the power, I have a few concerns:

1. After getting to operating temperature, I kept seeing steam/condensate on the lower portion of the windshield. Sales guy said they may have 'cleaned' the engine.
2. At about 30mph, I stomped the gas and it bucked like a bronco - as if the gas would cut OFF/ON very quickly.
3. As we got back to the lot, I distinctively heard what I thought were Timing Chains slapping around - not bad, but audible.
4. The SRS was on - Code 36! I actually couldn't see that the yellow plug under the Drivers Seat was even present.

Car is Dark Green and everything was working, 108k miles. One Headlight had a a lot of condensate in it. It was very clean, never once smoked in, a few light scratches here and there. I'm thinking I should move on to the next one.....

If you've been on the site for a while you may know the regularly needed repairs on the LS. Number 1 could easily be the degas bottle and number 2 is for sure coils needing to be replaced. Number 3 you are probably correct on. Number 4 I'd say is the clockspring.

I'd use your knowledge to the advantage of getting the dealership to make the repairs or to drop the price. Just know that when you pick up an LS around that mileage you can pretty much expect to do the valve cover gaskets, coils and spark plugs as well as the degas bottle at the very least. That is the minimum unless they have service records proving that those items have been taken care of.

If you've been on the site for a while you may know the regularly needed repairs on the LS. Number 1 could easily be the degas bottle and number 2 is for sure coils needing to be replaced. Number 3 you are probably correct on. Number 4 I'd say is the clockspring.

I'd use your knowledge to the advantage of getting the dealership to make the repairs or to drop the price. Just know that when you pick up an LS around that mileage you can pretty much expect to do the valve cover gaskets, coils and spark plugs as well as the degas bottle at the very least. That is the minimum unless they have service records proving that those items have been taken care of.

I had a Code 36 on the SRS (in my '02) and once I replaced the plug mentioned, the issue was resolved. I didn't have a Flashlight with me but when I looked at and felt under the Drivers Seat, I believe the Yellow Plug was absent, probably having broken off at the harness. The steamy interior windshield could be as you say. It of course dissipated with the Defrost on. The noise I heard was definitely internal engine noise that became apparent after the car was completely warm.

As for the dealer fixing anything - they are getting rid of all cars and switching to RV's, or so the salesperson said. They had this car listed at $4450 and 'Must Go' on the windshield.

I would not touch a 2000 or 2001 V8 (2002 is questionable). You have three possibilities:
1. The timing chain tensioners were replaced with the 2nd gen ones before they failed.
2. The timing chain tensioners were replaced with the 2nd gen ones after one failed, there may be some piston and valve damage.
3. The timing chain tensioners will fail very soon.

If you want the best LS you can get that will last you the longest with the least expense, get a 2006.

I would not touch a 2000 or 2001 V8 (2002 is questionable). You have three possibilities:
1. The timing chain tensioners were replaced with the 2nd gen ones before they failed.
2. The timing chain tensioners were replaced with the 2nd gen ones after one failed, there may be some piston and valve damage.
3. The timing chain tensioners will fail very soon.

If you want the best LS you can get that will last you the longest with the least expense, get a 2006.

I've made a deal for a 71k mile '05 V6 Base model - $4000. Going to go see/purchase it tomorrow. I was just looking at this '01 V8 for giggles, and it is local.

2005.jpg

'05 V6 Base Model

2005.jpg

Good job! I'd stick with that,All2.............that 01 might be a money pit. don-ohio :)^)

Quote All2:`I've made a deal for a 71k mile '05 V6 Base model - $4000. Going to go see/purchase it tomorrow. I was just looking at this '01 V8 for giggles, and it is local.' end quote

I've made a deal for a 71k mile '05 V6 Base model - $4000. Going to go see/purchase it tomorrow. I was just looking at this '01 V8 for giggles, and it is local.

View attachment 828475305

'05 V6 Base Model

Saw the car - passed on it. It ran fine and everything was in working order but it just didn't warrant the $4000 price we had negotiated. It needed a serious detail; lots of grime in the corners, along the edges, moss/algae in spots, etc. It's a coastal car and the oxidation on the engine components also dissuaded me. All the black exterior pieces showed the age of a 20 year-old car and would take some serious restoration. The lack of options, absence of any really, although not a deal breaker was a deterrent too. I mean, the Wipers didn't even have a 'single swipe' feature, no Compass in the mirror. no 'Easy Out' feature (which I could live with). And the 'drive by wire' would take getting used to I think. It felt as if just micro-seconds before shifting, the gas would back off a bit - almost sounded like a Manual transmission. There was a plus side: The Bridgestone tires were practically new. We talked about it as I was giving back the key and I let the seller know that I was just not comfortable at $4000. He asked what I was comfortable at and I said 'the $3500 I have in my pocket'. He dropped the price to $3800 but I still walked away.

... I mean, the Wipers didn't even have a 'single swipe' feature, ... no 'Easy Out' feature ...

Not true. It's there. Press in on the wash button very briefly and it will do one sweep (without activating the washer).

Owner's manual:
Windshield washer: Push the end
of the stalk:
• Quickly pressing the end of the
stalk switch causes a single wipe
without washer fluid.
• Push and hold the end of the
stalk to activate the washer. The
wash cycle will continue for up to
ten seconds or until released. After release, there will be three
clearing wipes.

Easy entry/exit is included on all LSes, it is not an option. You just need to have it turned on.

Also from the owner's manual:
Deactivating/activating the easy entry/easy exit feature
The easy entry/easy exit feature can be turned off or on through the
vehicle message center (if equipped). If your vehicle does not have a
message center, the feature can be turned off or on by your dealer.

(Just correcting, though I don't disagree with passing on it. If I were shopping for another LS, I would get the newest and most loaded that I could find.)

It felt as if just micro-seconds before shifting, the gas would back off a bit - almost sounded like a Manual transmission.

It's possible the COPs have damaged the PCM and is causing it to shift poorly. Common enough issue on this car, that there's a PCM repair company that offers an LS transmission fault PCM repair service.

My bad then for assuming that the 'single swipe' would be the same as from my '02. I guess that was one of the '500 improvements' (sarcasm font needed here). Seems odd that the Easy In/Out would be deactivated but as it was a V6, there is no Message Center and therefore, it must have been done at the dealer.

It's possible the COPs have damaged the PCM and is causing it to shift poorly. Common enough issue on this car, that there's a PCM repair company that offers an LS transmission fault PCM repair service.

It wasn't really shifting poorly, just differently from my '02, which was not 'accelerate by wire'. It may have gotten more 'normal' as I continued to drive.

It wasn't really shifting poorly, just differently from my '02, which was not 'accelerate by wire'. It may have gotten more 'normal' as I continued to drive.

The drive-by-wire (ETC) does take some getting used to. Switching back and forth between a mechanical and electronic throttle makes it worse. Once you get used to how the ETC reacts you will not even notice it. Treating the pedal gingerly helps acclimate to the ETC.

My vote, if you're set on getting another LS, save a little more cash and buy an 06 V8 LS (all 06's are V8s). I think you will be much happier in the long run....

My vote, if you're set on getting another LS, save a little more cash and buy an 06 V8 LS (all 06's are V8s). I think you will be much happier in the long run....

I'm not set on another LS by any means. I do like the cars and think the styling & handling is quite nice. I am more confident in a higher mileage V6 than a higher mileage V8, having just sold a V6 with 150k miles that was the nicest of any year I have seen for sale within 60 miles of my zip code. The '01 V8 I drove yesterday, with 108k miles, was quite clean and optioned nicely but the cooling system and timing chain tensioners were in need of attention.

I have a feeling I will hear back from the seller of the '05 V6 with 71k miles I looked at and drove today and he'll be wanting to know if my $3500 offer is still on the table.

My bad then for assuming that the 'single swipe' would be the same as from my '02. I guess that was one of the '500 improvements' (sarcasm font needed here).

I think this may be the one time Comic Sans is the correct font to use.

I think this may be the one time Comic Sans is the correct font to use.

Having had both generations I MUCH prefer the 2nd gen. The 1st gen is more raw and the 2nd more refined.

The price has now been dropped to $5777. When I talked with him yesterday after having driven it, he revealed what the owner wants and what his expenses have been. My $3500 would not have lined his pockets with $100 bills but it didn't represent a loss to him either. I suspect he has not had very much interest - as we know, these cars are a niche' market.

One thing I noticed yesterday in the engine bay, aside from the oxidation on metal parts (due to it being a coastal car), was oil on the plastic reservoir near the front drivers side. It looked to have accumulated over time, likely from a leaky valve cover vaporizing and misting oil on the reservoir. My '02 V6 engine bay was spotless so I tend to notice these things. Had that engine bay been as clean as my '02, I'd have paid the $3800 and drove it home I think.

... Seems odd that the Easy In/Out would be deactivated but as it was a V6, there is no Message Center and therefore, it must have been done at the dealer.

Or it was broken...

. I guess that was one of the '500 improvements' (sarcasm font needed here)...

your narcissism is off the charts.... you clearly know everything their is to know about these cars with you vast and extensive experience.... These +10 year guys who have owned multiple years and platforms clearly are just pushing an agenda...

hang up the phone, boot your dialup, log into your AOL account (see if you have mail) and go find a car ... within 60 miles of PORTLAND!!! Im sure there's a flawless 1st gen v6 sub 100k in Salem (61 miles) with your name all over it... Im sure it will provide years of carefree transportation for you (as a 16 year old, northeastern, coastal LS)....

Instead of arguing with EVERYONE here each time you venture outside, just go find a car... and stop trying to "impress" (sarcasm font needed here) with your superior haggling abilities on one of the soon to be cheapest, easiest cars to get in America... Either way, just go by a car... (we dont care)

Good Day!

Or it was broken...

your narcissism is off the charts.... you clearly know everything their is to know about these cars with you vast and extensive experience.... These +10 year guys who have owned multiple years and platforms clearly are just pushing an agenda...

hang up the phone, boot your dialup, log into your AOL account (see if you have mail) and go find a car ... within 60 miles of PORTLAND!!! Im sure there's a flawless 1st gen v6 sub 100k in Salem (61 miles) with your name all over it... Im sure it will provide years of carefree transportation for you (as a 16 year old, northeastern, coastal LS)....

Instead of arguing with EVERYONE here each time you venture outside, just go find a car... and stop trying to "impress" (sarcasm font needed here) with your superior haggling abilities on one of the soon to be cheapest, easiest cars to get in America... Either way, just go by a car... (we dont care)

Good Day!

I haven't argued with anyone but your a-holeness is clearly shining through.

..Instead of arguing with EVERYONE here each time you venture outside, just go find a car... and stop trying to "impress" (sarcasm font needed here) with your superior haggling abilities on one of the soon to be cheapest, easiest cars to get in America... Either way, just go by a car... (we dont care)

Good Day!

Yep, getting close to ignore list only because it seems to be a waste of time to respond...

Wow, weird... dude's looking for just the perfect LS because he's a fan and likes to talk out his finds, and people want to ban him. I slam the car regularly and will soon be selling mine, never to drive an LS again once it's gone, and fans of the car seem to just love me. Just doesn't make sense... :p

The nearly last straw for me was complaining about how the mist function works. Please explain how that is a problem or something that is worse on gen II than gen I.

The nearly last straw for me was complaining about how the mist function works. Please explain how that is a problem or something that is worse on gen II than gen I.

Wow.....I said "I mean, the Wipers didn't even have a 'single swipe'". You then pointed out how it was different, I then mentioned that Ford probably considered that one of the '500 improvements' and you've interpreted that as hostile or as a complaint. It was neither - IT WAS AN OBSERVATION.

I'm sure that attitude gets you far in life. Oh....and this is a FORUM, where people come to LEARN things from NICE PEOPLE without attitudes. I'm glad it was the last straw for you and you won't be adding any of your negativity to any post I might make.

My bad then for assuming that the 'single swipe' would be the same as from my '02. I guess that was one of the '500 improvements' (sarcasm font needed here)....

Wow.....I said "I mean, the Wipers didn't even have a 'single swipe'". You then pointed out how it was different, I then mentioned that Ford probably considered that one of the '500 improvements' and you've interpreted that as hostile or as a complaint. It was neither - IT WAS AN OBSERVATION...

Clearly it was more than an observation, or you wouldn't have mentioned the need for a sarcasm font.

All right children, calm down or you'll have to spend 5 minutes with your nose in the corner... Heh heh heh...

Members online

No members online now.
Back