Driveshaft - Is this normal?

Can't really say. Few times I heard a flex plate cracking it was more of a rattling chattering sound. My brothers 70 Cadillac shreded one and a friends Astro van was making the noise but never let it come apart.

Can't really say. Few times I heard a flex plate cracking it was more of a rattling chattering sound. My brothers 70 Cadillac shreded one and a friends Astro van was making the noise but never let it come apart.

Yeah that and that it doesn't do it on start up until after the engine idles down, and then mostly in gear(when your're not right next to it) has me questioning if I'm right.

Really hope it's not the torque converter, though I think I would know if it were? Not sure if it could knock like that and not affect driving...

So, In any event, $45 for part plus $400 for labor sound right if I'm right on the source? Called around nobody would give me an estimate over the phone...and I'd prefer not to pay the diagnostics in case their rate sucks. (if I'm wrong I have a new flex plate, a diagnostic and the labor to pull the tranny already covered)

Taking it in one way or another within the next week or two before it drives me crazy.

Could be a damaged TC as well. There were a few threads awhile back about internal (bearing and/or "anti-rattle springs") getting damaged causing an annoying rattle.

Okay thanks, and I'm not trying to be argumentative.

However 3 things.

1 it doesn't make any sense to me to have a piece of rubber between the two flanges(not sure what they're called) if you're not going to make contact with the rubber on either end. What purpose does the flex disc serve then?

2. That 'sleeve' in the bottom picture looks like a sleeve. However, in the 1st picture, top blue bolt head. I see contact between the flange and rubber. That looks like what would have been a machined surface on the flange. The surface area is much larger than the sleeve in the 2nd picture....

3. there was no uniformity to the gap across the bolts..... some looked like small gaps, some looked flush, some only were off on one side.... and in the bolt in question there's a gap on both sides.

With this in mind. If this all is okay....all I'm left to wonder is does that rubber matter at all in terms of how much clearance there is? If it does matter, when is the gap too much?

I'm not the engineer who designed this, but I'll give it my best explanation:

Answer to 1 - The rubber flexes a bit under load, and also expands/contracts with temperature change, I wouldn't be surprised if it is designed this way for one of those reasons.

To answer 2 and 3, I will climb under my car tonight and take a look, if mine looks like yours then it's been designed that way, and probably for a good reason.

Hope you figure your vibration out...

Could be a damaged TC as well. There were a few threads awhile back about internal (bearing and/or "anti-rattle springs") getting damaged causing an annoying rattle.

Yep...why I haven't ruled it out....it just seems too loud to be something like that. It sounds more like the flex plate striking the bell housing.

We'll see.

There is metal sleeves in the Guibo. The sleeves are wider than the Guibo so what you see is normal. The bolts and nuts are different weights and are how the driveshaft is balanced so if you ever pull apart you should mark everything and put back the way it was to avoid vibes.[/QUOTE

I had my driveshaft off when I removed the engine and transmission. After putting everything back in and having my tires balanced twice, I still have highway vibrations. I wasn't aware that the driveshaft bolts/nuts are weighted. Could this be cause for my vibration issues? I'm going to do road force balancing next time I go in to eliminate the balancing work.

Im guessing a driveline shop would be able to check the balancing of the shaft, u-joints etc?

Well it's official it is the torque converter:(

Members online

No members online now.
Back