Driver's Side Mirror Question

Eurythmian

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Last winter when I was using my defroster, it caused my driver's side outside mirror to turn yellow like it is burnt at the bottom. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Can the glass be replaced? Can I do it myself or does the dealership need to do this? If it can be replaced... does anyone know what it may cost for the part?

Thanks for your help.

No help but I can say my 04 has the same thing going on with the driver side mirror as well. Dosent seem to get worse though its just a little spot on the bottom.

I would suspect that it is a failure of the auto-dim feature. The interior rear-view mirrors sometimes fail this way too.

Should have it looked at, before the liquid on the inside burns through the side mirror casing.

I just bought an 05 and its like this. The dealership is taking care of it. The glass is not replacable. They are having a local glass shop put one on it cause it is a lot cheaper then buying the hole unit. Im kind of skeptical how well the adhesive will hold cause of the heat. I didn't realize the side mirrors had an auto dim feature. Im kinda pissed now since all they are doing is gluing another one over the existing one. I figured the heat will still somewhat work which isn't a big issue for me. but i hate when your driving at night and have lights glaring in your eyes from the mirrors.

The autodim is awesome IMO.

The only thing that kinda sucks is if your are stopped the person behind you is so close that their headlights do not hit the mirror sensor... Thus letting the side mirror being a direct path into your eyes for the light. Luckily I have very dark window tint.

Only the driver's side mirror is auto dim. It is controlled by the interior rear view mirror.

Here is the $64K question (yes I have researched this for 5 years!)...... How do you turn off the auto-dim feature? I can't find a switch or button anywhere.

Here is the $64K question (yes I have researched this for 5 years!)...... How do you turn off the auto-dim feature? I can't find a switch or button anywhere.

I think that some years have a button on the interior rear view mirror (I think my 04 does) to turn the dim function off. I assume that it would also disable the dimming of the side view mirror.

I know that my 06 has no button to turn auto dimming off. There's only a button for the compass function. You could black tape over the two photo sensors on the front of the mirror, or you could disconnect the wiring I suppose.

I've had the opposite need. I'd like to have a way to manually set it to maximum dimming sometimes. On I-10 at just the right time, the sun in the mirror can just about blind you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back