Drivers Side Last Bolt on Coil Pack Cover Removal - 2005 LS V8

2005 Lincoln LS V8

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone have the answer to removing the Driver's side Coil Pack Cover to removing the 7 MM Bolt (At COP # 8) extremely close to the Brake Booster?
I received a P0308 (#8 Coil Plug Bad) and I removed all the other Coil Pack bolts except for the above.
My 1/4 Ratchet and 7MM open wrench do not fit.

Why did they make things on this car so complicated? I guess so you'll go to the dealer..
Like the car.. hate working on it...

You need to get a wrench that does fit there. I think that I used a skewdriver, but a ratcheting wrench with swivel head should work too.
The LS does not have coil packs. Coil packs are usually two to three coils in a single assembly that fires four to six plugs (waste spark system). The LS uses COPs (Coil On Plug). One coil that fires one plug, one over each plug.

OBD code P0308 does not by any means say that the #8 coil or plug is bad. (though it probably is). Code P0358 would say that the coil/plug is bad. P0308 just says that that cylinder is missing. It could also be the injector or an air leak, or a compression problem.

You need to move the bracket that is attached to the strut bolts. It's held in by 2 nuts. That's what I did.
Thanks Mr Roy,
Yes I removed that as well I think it's the evap / purge and/or silenoid value.
In addition I had to remove the air intake assembly so I could move back the Power steering resovior as well.
Will look for small 7mm mini ratchet wrench... Appreciate the support

Thanks Joegr,
Appreciate the clarification re coil packs
I'll watch my termonolgy as it could throw folks off.
Yes I'm dealing with the last bolt on the cop cover.
Going to find a 7mm racheted wrench thanks

Thanks Joegr,
Appreciate the clarification re coil packs
I'll watch my termonolgy as it could throw folks off.
Yes I'm dealing with the last bolt on the cop cover.
Going to find a 7mm racheted wrench thanks
I have same (05 V8). I use the small ratcheting hinge head wrench (7 mil, magnetized) like JOEGR says and it works fine without bothering the bracket or anything else. With a little patience you can do it with the right tool with your eyes closed.

OBD code P0308 does not by any means say that the #8 coil or plug is bad. (though it probably is). Code P0358 would say that the coil/plug is bad. P0308 just says that that cylinder is missing. It could also be the injector or an air leak, or a compression problem.

Hey, Joe. I'm getting that p0308 now. You said it could also be an injector, air leak, etc, right? How do I tell.
I am getting, for lack of a better description, kind of a stumble seemingly when it's warm while moving under partial load. Doesn't really seem to be there when I start moving or when under heavy load/full throttle. Does that sound more like it would be an injector or coil/plug?

It comes down to putting some trouble shooting work in.
The easiest thing to do first is probably to swap that coil with another one. Does the misfire move to the swapped cylinder? If so, it's the coil. If not, swap the spark plug. Same question. If the misfire is still with #8, then start looking for air leaks and consider changing the injector.

Trying to do figure out as much as I can before I go under the hood. I'm wondering if it's more likely an injector or coil pack/plug if it is happening intermittently like it is. I would think that if it's an injector it would stumble/misfire all the time. If it is an injector I'm also wondering if running it on regular contributed to it. I hate spending the extra $ on super when it's only a few octane points higher.

Well... if the engine was designed to run on regular or mid grade... it wouldn't say "91+" on the gas door.

What's the worst that can happen??? Pre-ignition that could burn the valves or melt holes in the pistons.

What's the least that could happen??? Putting extra load demand on the coils... trying to ignite the low grade fuel... causing premature coil failures... and possibly more.

Members online

No members online now.
Back