Drivers Side Last Bolt on Coil Pack Cover Removal - 2005 LS V8

Lincoln LS

1. 2005 Lincoln LS V8

2005 Lincoln LS V8 New LVC Member

Hello,
    Does anyone have the answer to removing the Driver's side Coil Pack Cover to removing the 7 MM Bolt (At COP # 8) extremely close to the Brake Booster?
    I received a P0308 (#8 Coil Plug Bad) and I removed all the other Coil Pack bolts except for the above.
    My 1/4 Ratchet and 7MM open wrench do not fit.

Why did they make things on this car so complicated? I guess so you'll go to the dealer..
    Like the car.. hate working on it...

2. MisterRoy

MisterRoy Active LVC Member

You need to move the bracket that is attached to the strut bolts. It's held in by 2 nuts. That's what I did.

3. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

You need to get a wrench that does fit there. I think that I used a skewdriver, but a ratcheting wrench with swivel head should work too.
    The LS does not have coil packs. Coil packs are usually two to three coils in a single assembly that fires four to six plugs (waste spark system). The LS uses COPs (Coil On Plug). One coil that fires one plug, one over each plug.

OBD code P0308 does not by any means say that the #8 coil or plug is bad. (though it probably is). Code P0358 would say that the coil/plug is bad. P0308 just says that that cylinder is missing. It could also be the injector or an air leak, or a compression problem.

4. 2005 Lincoln LS V8

Thanks Mr Roy,
    Yes I removed that as well I think it's the evap / purge and/or silenoid value.
    In addition I had to remove the air intake assembly so I could move back the Power steering resovior as well.
    Will look for small 7mm mini ratchet wrench... Appreciate the support

5. 2005 Lincoln LS V8

Thanks Joegr,
    Appreciate the clarification re coil packs
    I'll watch my termonolgy as it could throw folks off.
    Yes I'm dealing with the last bolt on the cop cover.
    Going to find a 7mm racheted wrench thanks

6. CASLS8

CASLS8 New LVC Member

I have same (05 V8). I use the small ratcheting hinge head wrench (7 mil, magnetized) like JOEGR says and it works fine without bothering the bracket or anything else. With a little patience you can do it with the right tool with your eyes closed.