Drivers door won't open - 2002 Lincoln LS

LDM

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Drivers door latch won't open - 2002 Lincoln LS

Remote key fob unlocks and locks the doors. The inside electric lock button unlocks/locks the doors. You can hear the drivers lock unlock etc. when using the remote and door button, and you can see the manual lock move with the remote and door lock button. The outside and inside handles will not open the door. If I use the key it won't open the door. If I hold the key to the unlock position I still can't open the door. If I hold the inside door lock button in, I still can't open the door from the inside handle. Other info#1: The window won't go up and down, as the regulator needs replaced, of which I have a new one onsite. Other info#2: The interior door handle has been previously replaced a couple of years ago with a Dorman 78013 (which is the type that won't unlock the door when pulling on the inside door handle, you have to manually unlock the door, then pull on the handle). I have read many threads relating to door handles, actuators, latch assembly etc. I don't want to order any parts until I know what the problem is. I need to get the door panel off to determine what the problem is. I assume it's the door latch assembly/actuator part# 2W4Z-54203A29-AB. (Or... the window regulator broken parts are somehow jamming something which is preventing the door from opening).

How do I get the door open or the door panel off with the door closed? It's dark out right now, but I will try and remove the couple screws that I can get to, and also pull off the trim piece around the door handle later in the day... maybe try and get to the latch cable and pull on it.

I have read that it's easier to remove the door latch assembly if you remove the exterior door handle first.

Google Searches performed (and some others too):
site:lincolnvscadillac.com lincoln ls door won't open
site:lincolnvscadillac.com lincoln ls door latch
site:lincolnvscadillac.com lincoln ls door latch assembly
site:lincolnvscadillac.com lincoln ls door actuator

Any ideas on getting the door open to get the door panel off? Do you think it's the latch assembly/actuator? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Did both handles fail at the same moment, or did the inside or outside fail first and now the remaining one has failed too?
If one at a time, then it's probably the inner cable and the clip for the door handle rod. If both at once, it pretty much has to be the latch.
You may have to destroy the inner door trim to get in there.

They both failed at once (inside/outside handles). Yesterday I unlocked the door with the remote and opened the door from the outside handle, then drove the car and unlocked the door manually from the inside and opened the door from the inside handle, to go get pizza. Then did that again to return home with the pizza. So both handles and both methods to unlock the door worked yesterday.

If it ever opens again I will remove the inside door panel immediately and lubricate the latch first, before closing the door again.

Is the latch this part# 2W4Z-54203A29-AB and that part includes the latch/latch assembly/actuator all in one part?

I removed the two screws from the drivers door pull handle, and removed the trim piece around the interior door handle and the screw behind it. I can see the release cable for the door latch does move when I pull the interior door handle.

Last edited:
Thanks. At least I know what specific part to order. It is not available locally. Local dealer has to order it, but I found it online at TascaParts and FordPartsGiant cheaper.

Since the screws to remove the latch assembly are inside the door jam itself, it can't be removed unless the door is open.

If I destroy the interior door panel/trim to get the door panel/trim off or loose enough to get inside the door itself, with the door closed, is there some method to release the latch from the inside?

Last edited:
I would try pushing the levers on the side of the latch. If that doesn't do it, you have have to chisel the latch apart.

I pulled out part of the inner panel/trim. I don't see or feel anything to move. I assume the latch/assembly is behind the area that I put a red rectangle on, where the plug is.

IMG_20181113_133618.jpg

IMG_20181113_133629.jpg

IMG_20181113_133708.jpg

This is the highest resolution image I could find of the correct part:

00-01-02-Lincoln-LS-OEM-Genuine-Ford.jpg

Side note: I don't see how the exterior door handle connects to the latch assembly, or how it operates/releases the door latch.

I don't see how I can move anything, nor how to get a chisel or anything in there to tear it apart.

Last edited:
If you remove the window regulator, including the bracket it is on, you will have much greater access. You can see the electrical connector to the latch in the pictures. The interior door handle cable runs to the top of the latch. On the right hand side (your right, as you are trying to get to it) of the latch are the levers for the exterior key lock and the exterior handle. A plastic clip holds a metal rod from the door handle, and the metal rod from the key lock goes into a hole on the other lever from the latch.
It's not super easy, but you can get to those levers even without removing the window regulator.

I pulled out part of the inner panel/trim. I don't see or feel anything to move. I assume the latch/assembly is behind the area that I put a red rectangle on, where the plug is.

View attachment 828570866

View attachment 828570867

View attachment 828570868

https://imageshack.com/a/img921/8126/HXyN2W.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img924/5537/7Xwbf4.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img921/1769/FsKx8X.jpg

This is the highest resolution image I could find of the correct part:

View attachment 828570870

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/297/DkHNea.jpg

Side note: I don't see how the exterior door handle connects to the latch assembly, or how it operates/releases the door latch.

I don't see how I can move anything, nor how to get a chisel or anything in there to tear it apart.
If you can get access to the metal cable that is no longer attached to the plastic lever with a vice grip pliers and pull the cable the door will open

Everything is intact and attached and working (handle inside/outside, cable, actuator engaging with interior unlock button and with remote fob). It just won't release the latch. I see the cable moving when I pull the interior door handle. I used pliers and pulled harder on the cable, that did not help.

The latch assembly appears to be sealed on all sides with no moving parts, other than the connectors for the exterior handle and lock, which are still attached to the handle and it doesn't release the latch.

I will reach back in there tomorrow when it's daytime and try and move those by hand.

Thank you for the explanation and suggestion.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Last edited:
You can see the levers I'm talking about in the pictures above. They are most clear in the last picture, the latch is on its side in the picture, so the two levers are sticking straight up. With the latch mounted, they are towards the outside of the door.

Getting the window regulator out, and the bracket, will require me to do more destruction on the inside door panel to get it completely off. Then I don't know if the window regulator and bracket will come out with the dash and steering wheel and seat in the way with the door closed. I will try and reach in there tomorrow and see if I can move the levers of the latch assembly. Pulling on the inside release cable doesn't help. The exterior door handle is still attached, so it should be moving the lever, and the key fob, unlock button and the car key should be moving the other lever... so I don't have much confidence in this working, and the release cable is connected and moving and the exterior door handle is connected and moving... so either of those methods should release the latch... but neither are doing so.

Last edited:
Getting the window regulator out, and the bracket, will require me to do more destruction on the inside door panel to get it completely off. Then I don't know if the window regulator and bracket will come out with the dash and steering wheel and seat in the way with the door closed. I will try and reach in there tomorrow and see if I can move the levers of the latch assembly. Pulling on the inside release cable doesn't help. The exterior door handle is still attached, so it should be moving the lever, and the key fob, unlock button and the car key should be moving the other lever... so I don't have much confidence in this working, and the release cable is connected and moving and the exterior door handle is connected and moving... so either of those methods should release the latch... but neither are doing so.
It's very strange that the wire cable is still attached to the plastic part and moving properly, yet the door remains closed and will not unlatch...speaking from my experience I had a faulty door handle on my last 1st Gen that wouldn't open and after removing door panel found it to be the cable wasn't attached to plastic groove anymore the plastic broke so I had to zip tie the cable around the plastic part which was more re-enforced and a better design than the original engineering

I understand what you are saying as I already had that problem you just mentioned previously and I replaced the inner door handle a couple years ago with a Dorman 78013 part. Now the handle is ok, but the latch quit working. The outside door handle should unlatch it too, or the remote key fob, but they don't unlatch the door. The door won't open from the outside or inside.

I understand what you are saying as I already had that problem you just mentioned previously and I replaced the inner door handle a couple years ago with a Dorman 78013 part. Now the handle is ok, but the latch quit working. The outside door handle should unlatch it too, or the remote key fob, but they don't unlatch the door. The door won't open from the outside or inside.
Okay gotcha ... Sorry for the misunderstanding

Have you tried having someone on the outside push in on the door as hard as they can while your pull as hard as you can on the cable inside?

I am able to move the latch assembly levers by hand but the latch did not release. The door won't open. There is a plastic or rubber guard covering the levers, it has to be folded back to expose the linkage/levers from the latch assembly to the exterior door handle/lock.

IMG_20181114_165432.jpg

IMG_20181114_165645.jpg

I wonder what type of place to take the car to, to get the door opened (i.e. dealership that could be more familiar with the car, or body shop that doesn't know the car, etc.), and I wonder what the cost would be. I also wonder what they would do to get it open, and what other damage would be done to get it open that would also need to be repaired/replaced (such as interior door panel, new latch assembly, car door or door repair and paint if they cut the outside car door to get inside to cut the latch assembly or car door latch striker bolt).

Last edited:
I think that the worst case is you (or they) chisel away the plastic back of the latch assembly to be able to pop the latch linkages out of it and release the door. In this case, a big and long straight blade screwdriver and a hammer might be the correct tools.

I think that the worst case is you (or they) chisel away the plastic back of the latch assembly to be able to pop the latch linkages out of it and release the door. In this case, a big and long straight blade screwdriver and a hammer might be the correct tools.

Kinda hard to hit a chisel or screwdriver when the chisel/screwdriver is inside the interior of the door (let alone with the door closed and doing it from inside the car, bending over the center console, holding back the interior door panel). It would be hard to get a hammer in there too, and get good enough swings at it with a hammer, if at all... but I know what you are saying.

I should get a new part onsite before anyone breaks apart or destroys the existing latch assembly, as there is a good chance the door won't stay closed/latch again.

Last edited:
Kinda hard to hit a chisel or screwdriver when the chisel/screwdriver is inside the interior of the door (let alone with the door closed and doing it from inside the car, bending over the center console, holding back the interior door panel). It would be hard to get a hammer in there too, and get good enough swings at it with a hammer, if at all... but I know what you are saying.

I should get a new part onsite before anyone breaks apart or destroys the existing latch assembly, as there is a good chance the door won't stay closed/latch again.
What's the status on the handle have you made a plan yet how to get the door open?

Just curious, as I can't get in there to see where this is connected, how do you remove the black rubber guard, see image that I outlined in red? I'd like to remove that, so I can see the linkages/levers on the latch assembly. I want to remove the lock lever and throw the lock/unlock lever by hand to ensure the door is actually unlocked. Plus it would be easier to see what I am dealing with if that rubber was removed, if I proceed to chisel the part out...

The dealer will not install customer purchased parts. So I either take a chance and order the part and try chiseling this apart myself... or take it to the dealer and let them order the part, as it's not in stock etc. (which is probably going to be the outcome here, i.e. going to the dealership, unless it's not really unlocked... hence remove the guard).

I may just have to take this in to a shop. Assuming it's hundreds of dollars to get the door open, hundreds for the part ($280 with tax at the dealer), hundreds to install... it might cost $1000 (and I would still have a damaged inside door panel after). Oh well. I tried. Just wondering about removing that rubber guard. It's possible the latch assembly is broke inside and the lever won't unlock it anyway.

Rubber Guard.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Back