Drilling out lower mounting hole: front air strut

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I have saw/read threads were many have drilled a new bottom mounting above the original so the strut will still lower. I followed instructions and measured the space I had between the strut and LCA. I had about 15 millimetres and to be safe drilled at 8 millimetres. You see from the photos even just that small difference would not all the bolt hole to line up before the strut bottomed out on the LCA. is there something I missed?

I would think drilling it any closer to the original hole would not make much of a difference.

Driver strut lowering mount drill out photo 3 --20200911_212008.jpg

Driver strut lowering mount drill out photo 1 --20200911_212008.jpg

Driver strut lowering mount drill out photo 2 --20200911_212008.jpg

Last edited:
You drilled it to far up
Find the original post on this he explains how much it moves

You did a sloppy job of drilling it too high up ! You will need to weld it at least some ! If you can force it in , it will rub the bottom the strut and sgueak ! I have done about 8 or 10 Struts this way ! I only got one too wide ! Good Luck , Sonny

Thanks guys!! I measured the space i had from the LCA to the shock. the hole is only 8mm higher. Is there much point to drill so close together? I think it is the ACDelco professional replacement LCA's, they are much beefier that the stock ones.
If i fill it in and re-drill it 5mm (0.197) do you think it would lower the front that much? For now i just put it back in the stock hole.

Do you think I need to weld it back if I keep it in the stock hole?

read through octanes post i liked i thought he did the math in there
And it was something like a 1:2 ratio

Members online

No members online now.
Back