drilled air intake

MrWilson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
it does work, yes...not signifigant gain...but perhaps 1-2hp? mabey a little better mpg (.3-.5)?...i was getting teased about it tonight, so i was just wondering....im gonna go cry now :p

MrWilson said:
it does work, yes...not signifigant gain...but perhaps 1-2hp? mabey a little better mpg (.3-.5)?...i was getting teased about it tonight, so i was just wondering....im gonna go cry now :p

I did it to the first one that I owned, and it did not do a thing for me. I even cut the whole front of the airbox off, and still did not think it did anything. It sounded kool, but I think if you modify the intake tube you gain more than drillin the airbox.

NYC LSC said:
I've done it, mainly out of boredom one day. :D

Done what....drilled the airbox, or modified the intake tube?? I did both out of boredum and out of curiosity....the intake tube is a better mod than the airbox is....IMHO. :Beer

If you're not looking to get too involved, removing the air silencer and plugging the removable resonator above the intake manifold will be enough. No performance gains, but a noticable growl at WOT. Personally I didn't drill the air box, if I wanted that much airflow I'd remove the box altogether and get the LMS icebox or PVC the filter inside the fender (I hear the k&n fits right in there). I recommend the icebox because if water gets inside your fender your engine is looking at a watery death.

1wykdmk8 said:
AND a modified intake tube too.....that helps ALOT! :Beer
What is involved with this mod, including cost? tanks a rot

Kbob said:
What is involved with this mod, including cost? tanks a rot

What I did is use my dremmel and cut off the pieces that stick off of the intake tube after the removal of the 'lungs' that are there. Then I used a hole drill attachment to drill a plug for the opening where the rear 'lung' is (the one that most ppl use a rubber plug for with a hose clamp). I cut that piece from one of the 'lungs' that I just removed. I then glued it in place (with whatever glue you want, but I used Gorilla Glue). Allowed it to set up, sanded it, and then applied some 'Kitty Hair' (Kitty Hair is basically bodyfiller with fiberglas components in it to make it more rigid) over it. Sanded it down again, then hit it with some body filler to smoof it out, then sanded it down once again.

Then I did the same exact thing, except the front piece you have to cut off, and it is a smaller hole. So, I used the dremmel to cut a piece, and I glued it in place and did the same as above. I also sanded the whole piece down before I started to apply the Kitty Hair, so that you have a surface that the Kitty Hair will adhere to. I also cleaned the whole piece after sanding the whole thing down with some surface prep that you would use for paint.....so that the Kitty Hair will stick as well.

Once you are all done, and satisfied with what you have, you have to prep the surface again so that the paint you use will stick. I used a plastic prep as well on the whole thing so that the paint would stick better.

Hope that helps.....all the stuff I used was free.....because I had it all sittin around.....my dad is a bodyman by trade....so he has all that stuff laying around.
:Beer

I just realized you have the gen 1 tube and I have the gen 2. But I'm not familiar with the "lung" term. What's that? Thanks for splanin.

Yeah....being you have a Gen 2 you do not have the dumb a$$ed lungs I am referring to.

The pic below is what I am referring to.
:Beer

lungs.jpg

seanklsc said:
If you're not looking to get too involved, removing the air silencer and plugging the removable resonator above the intake manifold will be enough. No performance gains, but a noticable growl at WOT. Personally I didn't drill the air box, if I wanted that much airflow I'd remove the box altogether and get the LMS icebox or PVC the filter inside the fender (I hear the k&n fits right in there). I recommend the icebox because if water gets inside your fender your engine is looking at a watery death.

yeah, i removed the silencer, and plugged the res, and drilled in the box. it does sound nice, realy sounds nasty. (not only inside, but outside too)

Thanks, Ray. I learned something new today.

Markviiiedrea said:
saws all, fiber glass, and krylon!looks great!

SAWS ALL???? Holy sh!t batman......talk about the wrong tool for the job......why didn't you use a sledgehammer instead..... :Bang :Beer

1wykdmk8 said:
SAWS ALL???? Holy sh!t batman......talk about the wrong tool for the job......why didn't you use a sledgehammer instead..... :Bang :Beer

right tool, for thr right job!!! it worked did't it?

Markviiiedrea said:
right tool, for thr right job!!! it worked did't it?

Looks like it did....but mine looks better.....

Except the damn dimples that are in it from the factory.....
:N

intaketube.jpg

eww...those dimples must make it get a bunch of friction, and make it sound silly.

Markviiiedrea said:
saws all, fiber glass, and krylon! looks great!dint feel like cuttung my air box up

Wish mine was as clean as that, haven't done anything to mine in 11 yrs, I have the natural look. I am however going to have to clean it up for the meet in march !!!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back