Draining coolant

FORD CDS says this:

Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding

1. With the engine off and sufficiently cool, remove radiator cap, open radiator drain cock and allow coolant to drain. A 9.5mm (3/8 inch) hose should be attached to the radiator drain cock to direct coolant into a suitable container.

2. Close radiator drain cock. Hand tighten.

NOTE:
Coolant level cannot be accurately checked while the engine is running.

NOTE:
Its important to maintain engine coolant concentration between 40 percent 24°C (-11°F) and 60 percent 52°C (-62°F) depending on climate conditions. Below 40 percent there is a loss of freeze protection. Above 60 percent the engine may overheat on a warm day. Outside this range, protection against rust and corrosion may be greatly reduced. Refer to the Specifications for specified coolant.

3. Check all hose clamps for proper tightness and location. Ensure radiator drain cock is closed.

4. Place heater temperature selector in maximum heat position.

5. Fill radiator to below the filler neck seat with a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water.

WARNING:
TO AVOID THE POSSIBILITY OF PERSONAL INJURY OR DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE, DO NOT OPERATE ENGINE WITH HOOD OPEN UNTIL FAN HAS BEEN FIRST EXAMINED FOR POSSIBLE CRACKS AND SEPARATION.

6. Leave radiator cap off and run engine until water thermostat opens (coolant flowing through upper radiator hose becomes hot.)

7. Stop engine and add coolant to radiator as necessary to adjust level. Install radiator cap.

8. Add a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water to the FULL HOT mark on the radiator coolant recovery reservoir or on bottles without caps, through the small opening at the top of the reservoir. Install reservoir cap, if so equipped.

very well.. and thank you but whats a drain cock look like? should i not look for two balls hanging off of it?

the lower hose route will get most of the coolant out. you wont be able to get all the coolant from the block without removing the engine and disassembling it.

its not uncommon to have as much as a gallon or 2 of coolant left over in the engine after draining the system.

78267959.gif

I was trying to avoid it, but i finally Googled "drain cock." This is on a Chrysler but i think it would look similar, with out the hose though. I read that on a Taurus its on the drivers side, but couldn't find a pic. Why couldn't the generally accepted term be "drain valve".:confused:

I think what most do is drain the radiator than do an engine flush.

Cooling System Flush Procedure

Radiator Installed

Tools Required:

l Rotunda Cooling System Flusher 106-00010

To remove rust. sludge and other foreign material from the cooling system, use Premium Cooling System Flush D6AZ-19A503-AA (ESR-M14P7-A) or equivalent that is safe for use with aluminum radiators. Remove the thermostat prior to pressure flushing. This cleaning restores cooling efficiency and helps prevent overheating. A pulsating or reversed direction of flushing water will loosen sediment more quickly than a steady flow in the normal coolant flow direction. In severe cases where cleaning solvents will not properly clean the cooling system for efficient operation, it will be necessary to use the pressure flushing method, using Rotunda Cooling System Flusher 106-00010 or equivalent. Dispose of old coolant and flushing water contaminated with antifreeze and cleaning chemicals in accordance with local, state and federal laws.

Radiator Removed

CAUTION:
Radiator internal pressure must not exceed 138 kPa (20 psi). Damage may result.

1. Backflush radiator. Ensure radiator cap is in position. Turn radiator cap upside down. Position a high-pressure water hose in bottom hose location and backflush.

2. Remove thermostat housing and water thermostat. Refer to «Thermostat Removal» .

3. Backflush engine. Position high-pressure hose into engine through thermostat location and backflush engine.

Thermostat

Removal

1. Open hood and install protective fender covers.

2. Disconnect battery ground cable.

3. Position drain pan below radiator.

WARNING:
NEVER REMOVE THE RADIATOR PRESSURE CAP UNDER ANY CONDITIONS WHILE THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY. TO AVOID HAVING SCALDING HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT OF THE RADIATOR, USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE CAP FROM A HOT RADIATOR. WAIT UNTIL THE ENGINE HAS COOLED, THEN WRAP A THICK CLOTH AROUND THE RADIATOR PRESSURE CAP AND TURN IT SLOWLY TO THE FIRST STOP. STEP BACK WHILE THE PRESSURE IS RELEASED FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM. WHEN IT IS CERTAIN ALL THE PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED, PRESS DOWN ON THE CAP (STILL WITH A CLOTH), TURN AND REMOVE.

4. Remove radiator cap following outlined precautions. Attach 9.5mm (0.4 inch) hose to drain tube and open radiator drain cock (8115). Drain radiator to a corresponding level below water outlet connection. Close radiator drain cock.

CAUTION:
Do not pry housing off.

5. Loosen top hose clamp at radiator, remove water outlet connection retaining bolts, lift clear of engine and remove water thermostat by rotating counterclockwise in water outlet connection until water thermostat becomes free to remove.

the lower hose route will get most of the coolant out. you wont be able to get all the coolant from the block without removing the engine and disassembling it.

its not uncommon to have as much as a gallon or 2 of coolant left over in the engine after draining the system.

thats what i did the first time.. alrighty i'll just stick with that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back