Double din headunit Opinions ???

jrk042385

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was looking at getting a double din unit and i wanted something a little different than the pioneers <--- no offense good unit, just want to be unique these are a few of the units i was considering...let me know what you all think, thanks

1. 2008 ECLIPSE AVN6620
2. ECLIPSE AVN5435
3. PANASONIC STRADA CN-NVD905U
4. PIONEER AVIC-Z3
5. 2008 JVC KW-NX7000

so after a quick scan i've determined that i'll never be able to afford a double din touch screen lol

lol i figure the option from the dealer is around 2500 so anything around 1100 is a good deal

n8bachelor is there any clearance issuse with a z3? and stock navi bezel??

you can fit an avic-d3. check the unit dimension of both units. That should yield your answer.

I went with the alpine wa200, not sure what the new model is. I know there is a wa 205 also. The 205 comes with the navigation. The 200 With navigation is almost 2500.00 , About 500.00 without it.

I do not have the Pioneer Z3, but I want one! From your list it was the only choice I could make.

I too have the Alpine W200. The W205 is the W200's replacement, but neither one comes with navigation. The W205 has a blackbird dock (ie it can accept the portible navigation unit and control it through the head unit). See it here.
It would seem they now have the W505 also. Looks pretty good, here.

Depends on your requirements/priorities/budget as to which unit you want. I can say, that the Avic D3 at its price? Is a HECK of a value.

AVIC-F700BT
AVIC-F900BT
AVIC-F90BT (i think that is the Premier model num)

the d3 has been replaced by the new F series there are two pioneer models and one premier version, the best just got better, yesa i know the screen is a little bit smaller but the added features make it more than worth it. the biggest up grade is flashed based nav(no more of that, i cant listen to a CD because i'v got my nav disc in BULLSH**) and the new voice command works incredibly well, they have also updated the IPod interface a little with voice control and the video playback. plus its just as easy to bypass as the D3 and has steering wheel controls input(you just need the adapter)

didn't the D3 have a larger screen than this F-series one? "5.8" LCD Touchscreen display". i can't recall how big it was, but i'm sure it was more than 5.8" right?

The D3 was a 6.1 inch screen but like loud said although it's a smaller screen it's better if you compare them.

yeh it a little smaller but the graphics are way more sweet and its cake to use. i would never watch any thing while driving so the smaller screen doesnt effect me, if you want a bigger screen a better option would be to put 7 or 8 inchers in you visors or glass a 10 inch CarPuter into your dash, i want a control unit that is fully intergrated a works well, and pioneer fixed the 1 disc slot problem with the D series and the voice reconition problem with the N series, and there is no motor and ribbon cable to wear out like the Z series. i'm not saying that it is perfect, just the best that i have seen yet.

not to mention if bigger was better we would ALL be driving Mark VIII's

AVIC-F700BT
AVIC-F900BT
AVIC-F90BT (i think that is the Premier model num)

the d3 has been replaced by the new F series there are two pioneer models and one premier version, the best just got better, yesa i know the screen is a little bit smaller but the added features make it more than worth it. the biggest up grade is flashed based nav(no more of that, i cant listen to a CD because i'v got my nav disc in BULLSH**) and the new voice command works incredibly well, they have also updated the IPod interface a little with voice control and the video playback. plus its just as easy to bypass as the D3 and has steering wheel controls input(you just need the adapter)

LOL..who listens to CD's any longer. But the improved ipod interface and voice control and proper video playback sounds nice. If it has capability for the new XM/Sirius merger interface..Its ON

LOL..who listens to CD's any longer. But the improved ipod interface and voice control and proper video playback sounds nice. If it has capability for the new XM/Sirius merger interface..Its ON

that what i have been saying since the D3 came out:) the only reason that i bought an Ipod was so that i didnt have to keep carring around 400+ CD's. but i still hear from a lot of people that they are still stuck in the 90's with there CD's
Sirius XM Radio says that they dont plan on changing any of there equipment for at least a few years because the company has way too much money invested in the current sat systems for each brand (which are complety different systems and are, in no way, compatible with each other) there near future plans are to offer more flexibilty in programing, and now they dont have to pay an extreme amount of money for any exclusive programing, such as Stern, NFL, and MLB.

thought I read another thread that stated in order for (as an example) for an XM listener to get Stern, there had to be some sort of new headunit or adapter for existing units? Also..I wonder if the wiring harnesses are the same for the D3 and the new Pioneer units.If its a straight swap with no rewiring? Im about to make a switch..

Im kind of over Pioneer...

M next GPS navigation unit will be from Kenwood.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-S4Gn86...in.aspx?i=113DNX8120&tp=144&tab=detailed_info

the Nav system and map software for all the kenwoods is made by Garmin now, they are VERY easy to use and the graphics are looking very good. if you have ever use a Garmin portable Nav unit like any of the new Streetpilot or NUVI models, the interface is exactly the same with a lot of big buttons and bright colors.

now that pioneer has raised the bar it time for kenwood(and everybody else) to step their game up and bring somthing new and it all needs to be in one unit, i am tired of tring to find more room for GPS box, the Bluetooth box, and all the unnesesary wires that connect them all:(

thought I read another thread that stated in order for (as an example) for an XM listener to get Stern, there had to be some sort of new headunit or adapter for existing units? Also..I wonder if the wiring harnesses are the same for the D3 and the new Pioneer units.If its a straight swap with no rewiring? Im about to make a switch..

they are in the process of reamping the subscription services and having a set of "standard stations" and then having a set of stations that you can choose from "a la cart" for both companies, but you wont see that for at least a year or two. their biggest problems are that they all ready have a lot of "Birds in the sky" especialy since XM just sent two more sat up just a little bit ago so they can expand into Canada, it wouldnt be so bad if they used the same type of sat systems. Not to mention both companies still have a lot of products in the pipe line that haven't been finished or released yet.

i know that the rca harness with the mute bypass is still the same, but i am not for sure on the main audio harness, it looks the same but i have not compaired them side by side yet. i do know that pioneer got rid of the speed sence wire but i do not think that that is enough to remake the harness

sounds good. I just left the Pioneer website checking out the F90. I see them on the web and new on ebay in the $850 or so range. Still have all of my packaging materials, bluetooth and XM modules, and Ipod adapter for my D3..all in perfect condition. A upgrade may be on my horizon in the next couple of months. 75% of my audio listening is via Ipod in addition to music videos on my Ipod. Needless to say, the improved Ipod interface along with voice recognition for the Ipod on the F series is calling me. Anyone tried to access a song/artist on the Ipod using the interface on the Avic D3 KNOWS my pain. And the 3d mapping is NICE. And finally, a USB connection to let me take the internet connected laptop into the car, connect, update maps and firmware..voila.

If only Pioneer had RDS now..

if you update you will need a new Ipod cable they did change the type of connection, instead of using the full speed cable, the new cable has a USB plug along with a set of audio video cables. and the demo's pioneer sent me still do not show video off of an Ipod Touch, not sure why, but it does seem to be a problem with most Ipod accesories.

The current Ipod lineup (forget which generation the issue started) has some sort of conflict with the D3 as well, when it comes to video. It's documeted on various sites. Not sure of a fix. I have a 40gig Video Ipod from about 2 years ago, and the video is fine. My brother has a later video ipod and no go on the video.

Members online

No members online now.
Back