dorman window regulator comments + question

bluBomber

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So my passenger window rolled down, would not roll up. Did a bit of research here and decided it was the regulator, ordered a new Dorman one from Advance. Just clips broken on the old one, but I wasn't going to open it up to see what I needed or just take the chance that it was the clips. As I'm installing it when I realize that the holes where the motor bolts to the regulator are not threaded like the old one. Is this normal for the Dorman regulator? Luckily I had a tap set with the correct tap M6x1 and was able to thread the holes and make it work. Just seemed like they should have been threaded.

On to the questions:
What is the proper way to remove the door lock cable? The interior door handle is pop riveted on, so it is a very tight fit for the plastic piece that clips the cable to the handle mount. I got it out, but I broke the plastic piece. I don't think it will come loose, as even with the piece broken off it was difficult to get back in. But one of my back windows also needs repair and if there is an easier way, I'd love to hear it.

I think I got the window back in the same position that it was in before based on the dirt around where the mounts were and it rolls up and down ok, but the rear of the window sticks up maybe 1/4 inch when rolled completely down. The driver's side does not stick up at all, not sure if the passenger one did before or not.
Is there any adjustment procedure that needs to be done after swapping the regulator? I have read a few related posts here but can't find anything.

Try loosening the clamps and ensure the window is seated all the way down into them and that the rubber is properly seated between the clamp and the glass. IIRC there is enough room so that you can plug the switches in, slowly roll the window all the way up, and then tighten the clamps. Make sure you got all the bolts back in and that the "frame" of the regulator isn't moving during window operation.

I am having the same problem with my 2002 Lincoln LSE, but instead of replacing the entire regulator, I just order the plastic clips that were broken, any suggestions when replacing just the clips. This is my first experience with this type of repair on my Lincoln.

If you're just doing clips. Be careful not to 'loosen' the clamps that hold the glass too far. I guess I did too many turns and ended up ruining the clamp's ability to re-tighten.

I had to awkwardly force pliers back there and hold the free spinning piece until I could tighten it all the way....

Never again.

Not a big job, just take your time to take out the regulator so you remember how its laid out. The clips kinda wrap around the edge of the metal, the wire ends fit into the clips. remember you can solder the clip plastic with a solder gun if you break them. just heat up the plastic and mix better than new. I added extra plastic support to my clips and the wire broke and the clip held tight.

Members online

Back