door lock actuator question

davepetch

LVC Member
Reaction score
I searched all the threads and read all I could to understand what the problem could be why my auto door lock on the driver door doesn't work. It started a few weeks ago intermittently where sometimes the driver door would not lock when I pushed the key fob or maybe didn't unlock. Even the button on the inside did not always work. However using the key in the lock always works. Now it has stopped altogether. Like everyone else I can't buy just the actuator and I too have had prices from $500 to $1500 for the parts. I took my door apart and everything mechanically works fine. The latches, handles and cables are all firm, no loose or slack cables. When I use the key fob to unlock the door I hear a faint sound from the DDM as if it is trying to do something. Is the actuator inside the DDM ? or is the actuator part of the door latch assembly (the part that mates with the large peg on the car body when the door closes). I need to know if anyone knows which part needs to be replaced. The part number on my DDM is 1W4T-13C791-AA but is not on the Team Ford website. Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to purchase the whole door guts for $1500 just to fix this problem.

alright, what I have learned with my bad door experiences are as follows. 1 the driver door controls the other 3 doors, however the other three are on separate fuses. So one maybe a bad fuse, but if it was a sometimes type of problem, I doubt it is a fuse. 2 The latch assemblies are :q:q:q:q, I have replace 2, nice and expensive, this problems usually occurs when the door wont even open, so again, in your case, I doubt that is your problem. Next there is a control box on your drivers door that controls any and all functions for you locking system. Possibly your problem, next check your harness that goes to your drivers door. If it is only your drivers door, then I would look at the harness to the latch, the latch assembly, and last the control box. I think I have one, I bought at a junk yard, because when my 3 other doors wouldnt open, they told me it was the control box, but ended up being a fuse in the trunk.

well the problem is solved. it was the door latch assembly which included the actuator. I ordered it from Max at 5 star for $136.00. Installed it in about an hour and it works perfectly.

I am having the same problem with 2 of my actuators. Those prices are crazy, but it looks like I have to pay it. Has anyone seen any cheaper prices for them?

I ended up finding 2 actuators from a junk yard for $50 each.

A few install tips. Instead of taking the cable off the car, just detach the cable from the new actuator, then you don't have to take the handle off. Also, to get the old actuator out you are going to have to pop the little yellow clip that holds onto the rod to open the door. That is kind of a pain because it faces the wrong way. Take a flat blade screwdriver and grab the edge of the tab and give it a quick yank. It should pop open. Be careful, there are a lot of sharp pieces in there, but gloves kill your sense of touch.

Members online

No members online now.
Back