Door Ajar Message

olddavid

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I am getting the door ajar message from the drivers door. I have WD40ed the mechanism and will keep doing it for a couple of days. This morning, I had the alarm go off after locking in the driveway. I'm assuming the two incidents are related? Or do I have an incipient failure to consider? The sensor in the door has to be proximity based, correct? I probably did more damage than I know when driving my little jewel into the -40 degree hell of an Alberta winter last month, but I was forced to drive by circumstances. I was hoping only a few rock chips and a broken door handle to be the only casualties. As an aside, the car did great with the Blizzaks and 50-50 anti-freeze, and did 23m.p.g. over 1500 miles, sometimes in -60 windchill and the blowing snow drifts of Montana.

I noticed that I've succumbed to that dread disease - old man syndrome. The temp is now colder and the mileage better than the week we got home. Sorry. My wife pointed this out - to which I replied that she is prettier than when we met.

If you can't figure it out I solved it the lazy way. Look up a similar thread I made for directions. This is for Gen 1, I don't know if Gen 2 wiring is different. Probably is.

The sensor for the alarm is in the door jam by the dash, the one your spraying with WD40 is just telling the car you door latch worked or not. Cheap part, not the most fun to fix.

At least that's what it sounds like to me, best just to replace all 4 at once, then you wont see this problem for 10-15 years.

Thanks again, to all. The two day WD40 trick has everything ok. I'll probably learn the specifics on the sensors the next time.

I just got the Door Ajar message the other day. Thanks for all the info and I just sprayed it and opened and closed the doors a few times. We'll see how it goes with this for now. Thanks folks !

Members online

Back