door ajar light comes on but door shut

busterdowns

LVC Member
Reaction score
i have 95 non lsc. it was hit in the drivers side door by a motorcycle a few years back before i got it. the person who owned it had the door replaced on it. now the door ajar warning comes on all the time. i have no idea what it could be. im still learning about this car. any help would be great.

Wd40 the latch and work it in by opening and closing the door a couple of times

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I hope you're around for many years with us. Just remember. Most of us on her are been there done that with just about every problem you are about to encounter. You this forum a refrence tool, the answer is in here some where.

My method for clearing that dang Door Adjar message is to take the WD-40 and be generous with it. Then open and close the door about twenty times. That should do the trick. You may on occasion see that the interior light stays on after you exit the vehicle. This is the same case.

With my red garnett 95. The wd-40 trick would not work. So I got in the door and merely unhooked the switch this kept the message off the display center.

I do not have this problem but with the WD40 does it not really wash out all the lube in there? I would think that yes it is a lube but needs to be maintained afterwards with something like a spray lithium or graphite grease?

I agree, WD40 works great to penetrate so to speak and creep into those spots to free things up but I find for long lasting to spray something else after you free it up.

Wd40 the latch and work it in by opening and closing the door a couple of times

im not talkin smak at all but what does the latch have to do with it. dose it have a sensor in it? and thanks for all the help i will deff use the search.

i used a ton of the wd it still does it so guess im needin a new latch.
you also have to slam the piss outta it a few dozen times while reapplying the wd
Try turning the plunger by the hinges a half a turn back. Worked for me. It was five years ago but I think it was a 9/16 socket.

........ok i think i follow you till the 9/16 socket part.....:shifty:

buster, if the wd dont fix it pull the panel and remove the switch from the latch it just twists out and see if the plunger moves (something like a 1/4 inch maybe a lil less) and check the light. if the light goes on and off then the latch isnt depressing the switch and is bad. if the light stays on then you have a bad wire, check the tube in the front of the door jamb most likely

Did you try spraying the passenger door latch?

I spent a half hour trying to free up my driver's side when all it took was a quick spray on the passenger's latch.:D

ok i have sprayed wd40 pb blaster and closed the door 100 times on my 98. doorajar still on whats next

ok i have sprayed wd40 pb blaster and closed the door 100 times on my 98. doorajar still on whats next

Go to rockauto and order some new door jamb switches. They're about $3 or $4 each and ship fast. Takes30 seconds each to swap.

DoorJambSwitch-1.jpg

DoorJambSwitch-5.jpg

DoorJambSwitch-3.jpg

DoorJambSwitch-2.jpg

Screw the new switch in and tighten. 9/16 or 15mm deep well socket works. I replaced both of my switches a few months back and all the crazy problems I was having ended with just the drivers side but I done both because they were simple and cheap. Get Motorcraft

Go to rockauto and order some new door jamb switches. They're about $3 or $4 each and ship fast. Takes30 seconds each to swap.
Screw the new switch in and tighten. 9/16 or 15mm deep well socket works. I replaced both of my switches a few months back and all the crazy problems I was having ended with just the drivers side but I done both because they were simple and cheap. Get Motorcraft

No, this doesn't apply to any 97-98 cars, as they have a side specific switches built into the latch mechanism.

Gotchya, no wonder I don't own one!I see something everyday that just turns me away from the Gen 2. Issue after issue...

Unfortunately this is not only a G2 issue.
You car has the same switch inside the latch, and it triggers the door ajar message.
The switch you replaced is a domelight/alarm trigger switch.
In 97 they got rid of it, and incorporated the theater lightning into SCIL.

FWIW, I had the "Door Ajar" issue when I first got my 95 LSC. I did as y'all said and sprayed the bejeezus out of it, but it didn't work. The "Door Ajar" persisted and I just gave up (yes, I opened and closed the door about a million times).

Well, I kept using the car and ignored the message; after about a month of just daily driving the car, the message finally disappeared and has never returned when the door is closed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back