Doing tune up: need new plug recommendation

the_continental_kid

LVC Member
Reaction score
Doing a tune on up on my '93 MK VIII. Nology wires are NOT in the budget. Probably going to go with MSD, unless anyone has a better idea for the price. BUT... what about the plugs? Jesus - you go to the parts store and they have more than just a few options. What the hell should I look for in a plug? What brand is best? Etc, etc? Any ideas.

Any other tune-up wisdom would also be welcome!

As always - thanks folks.

Autolite 764 copper plugs - excellent performer, cheap and easily available.

MSD's are good wires, i have them in my 93. and yes driller is right about the autolites... depends if you want to go with platinum or copper tips plugs.

I prefer Autolite 764 copper's gapped at .048. I also reccomend Nology Hotwires. They produce 100,000 watts of spak which is more then an MSD DIS4 and MSD Wires combined. Thay also have a lifetime warranty as well.

after having the same plugs in my car forever and the original 112,000 mile wires
i replaced them with autolite AR103 gapped @ .048 and msd wires
the best tune up results i've ever had
i may try ngk and denso plugs also , but for now the AR's work just fine

another vote for 764 coppers/MSD wires...didnt notice any performance gain, but got better mpg, and smoother idle...all for less than $100 in parts

I don't need any convincing about the Nology wires - just in the budget just now. :)

I'm going to probably go with MSD wires like I said.

What's the differences between the copper and platinum plugs?

ALSO (for sake of not having to start a new thread?) lol I didn't even look at the car yet, but one of my bulbs in the tail light is out - just went out 2 days ago. Its the center blub in the trunk. Like I said I didn't look at it yet - but, how do I get in there?

I like Autolite plugs. The 764 copper's are good and cheap. Copper is a better conductor than platinum. Next time I change plugs i'm going one heat range colder because I my timing is advanced quite a bit. Still not getting any detonation or pinging however i'm just trying to be safe. I like the 103's they are good for any Mark VIII with a chip.

I just went to the Nology web site. I noticed there were no Lincoln applications. So which of the Mustang applications best suit the Mark?

99-98 Cobra 4.6 DOHC V8 011 208 071 Specify NA NA S1K
97-96 Mustang GT 4.6 SOHC V8 011 208 041 Specify NA NA S1K
97-96 Mustang GT Cobra 4.6 DOHC V8 011 208 051 Specify NA NA S1K

GMAN said:
I just went to the Nology web site. I noticed there were no Lincoln applications. So which of the Mustang applications best suit the Mark?

99-98 Cobra 4.6 DOHC V8 011 208 071 Specify NA NA S1K
97-96 Mustang GT 4.6 SOHC V8 011 208 041 Specify NA NA S1K

3rd one

the_continental_kid said:
What's the differences between the copper and platinum plugs?

In english, Platinum plugs give you satisfactory performance for a long period of time(miles)

Copper plugs give you BETTER performance for a shorter period of time(miles)

Platinum=last a long time, cost alot of $
copper= dont last very long, are dirt cheap $

Bottom line, get better performance for less money, just requires changing more often.

ALSO (for sake of not having to start a new thread?) lol I didn't even look at the car yet, but one of my bulbs in the tail light is out - just went out 2 days ago. Its the center blub in the trunk. Like I said I didn't look at it yet - but, how do I get in there?

Remove the black retainer clips that hold the carpet/liner on the underside of the trunk lid. Reach behind the tail light lense through the access holes, and twist the bulb housing that coincides with the bulb that is burned out. turn it 30 degrees until it releases...remove old bulb and replace with identical. check for operation. Re-install liner, and clips.

Someone else will have to answer that one I know for sure the 97-96 Mustang GT Cobra 4.6 DOHC V8 011 208 051 Specify NA NA S1K will though.

I don't need any convincing about the Nology wires - just in the budget just now. :)

There on sale right now from us for $199.00 a set, direct fit, lifetime warranty and the only wire on earth that produces rwhp.

klutch said:
Where are they on sell at for that price?

"There on sale right now from USfor $199.00 a set"

My guess would be "Lincoln Motorsport"

:slam

(i guess you didnt see the"us" in onebads reply.)

Hehe

Mike

Thanks!

Thanks folks! I need to do my plugs and wires within the next few weeks... I could feel that it needs it. Boggs down a bit under light acceleration. Also going to replace the PCV valve and fuel filter. Anything else recommended?

Thanks for the blub replace tip - I'm going to go out and play sometime during the week, right now I'm at grandma and grandpa's. I think I need to wash grandma's '98 Conti while I'm here. Its so damn filthy my jaw dropped. Grandpa's Town Car is usually kept pretty clean... hey, I have to get my taste in cars from somewhere... by parents drive trucks. :)

ALSO... one more tid-bit... mechanic says I need a wheel bearing replaced, shoudl I just let him replace the messed up one? Or two?

Got my Nology wires today. Going to install them tomorrow with the Silverstone plugs. Is changing your plugs once per year a good practice?

I use the Autolite 764's, and I have bought the Nology hotwires from LMS as well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back