doing the coils in the garage

Soopa009

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
so im in my garage doing the ignition coils on my 01 ls, and as i took of the bolts that hold the coils in place.. the bolt came out with oil on it.. I took the coil off and oil just poored out of it.. Lol. Im pretty sure I need to do a whole engine coil replace/spark/vcgasket replacement.
Also the cable that plugs into the coils, at the very end there is a sponge little ending that is full of oil as well. Any suggestions on that? or just clean it and let it be? here is a picture of the cable sponge I was talking about.
DSC00440.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

I decided to do this on the coldest day of the winter so far! BURRRRRRRRRRRR :eek:
Spence

I never saw the cable sponge on my car that your talking about. i dunno if its useful or not haha.

If you need any info on the VCG's just let us know.

FYI - if you didnt know- dont pull the plugs yet, leave em in till you clean up the oil. use an air line if you got one and wrap it with a towel to blow it all out and the towel will catch it. you seem to know what your doing though

Ok thanks for the heads up on not pulling the plugs. I didnt/dont know what Im doing the only reason I do is because YOU guys here at LVC.. So ill take all suggestions and tips. Anyways I will keep cleaning all this oil up and waiting for my VCG and coils to come in the mail!
Thanks again LVC! Everyone.. any other suggestions are appreciated!

DSC00445.jpg

Should I clean out all that oil as well where the green circles are?

how much fun did you have with that rearmost bolt on the drivers side and with the dipstick. :)

Havent done that side yet lol.. but I know everyone says that side is a beeeotch.. Will find out tomorrow. I tried to turn on my air compressor to blow out the oil that is coverin the spark plug and the compressor is too darn cold to start lol. Just going to have to do it ghetto.. flag head covered with a rag!
I dont have a 1/4 small deep well socket so I dunno HOW im going to do the drivers side tomorrow. Might just go buy the socket

Not sure how old you are, but at 43, my lower back was giving me hell after the constant bending over the fender trying to dig around that brake booster area. sore back and hurting knuckles. Mechanix gloves are ok, but for those tiny nuts you really need good "feel"..and bare hands was my only option. Good luck!

Oh yeah..i think Im stating the obvious, but new plugs while you are there. I opted fo Bosch Platinum +4's. Many argue against them, but 30k miles later, they are still firing flawlessly.

Mechanix gloves are ok, but for those tiny nuts you really need good "feel"..and bare hands was my only option. Good luck!

I agree, I prefer gloves, but they can't always be used.

Oh yeah..i think Im stating the obvious, but new plugs while you are there. I opted fo Bosch Platinum +4's. Many argue against them, but 30k miles later, they are still firing flawlessly.

I'm one of those Arguing against. These caused a low speed missfire on a 96' monte carlo I'm selling.

I ended up going NGK G-Power Platinum plugs for my v6 LS. No problem yet but I haven't put many miles on them.

No sh!t dude.. Im 21 and I am an athlete and my knee's/back hurt like crazy just from reaching over the hood so much trying to remove these bolts! So just cause your 40 whatever doesnt mean anything. Its rough lol.
Think I will be going with Motorcrafts spark plugs. Max is sending me the VCGaskets and The coils I got off ebay.

No sh!t dude.. Im 21 and I am an athlete and my knee's/back hurt like crazy just from reaching over the hood so much trying to remove these bolts! So just cause your 40 whatever doesnt mean anything. Its rough lol.
Think I will be going with Motorcrafts spark plugs. Max is sending me the VCGaskets and The coils I got off ebay.

Man a 10mm ratcheting wrench makes the job a lot easier on both sides. I used autolite platinum plugs 40,000 miles ago and still no problems. About $15 for all 8 and I think the motorcraft plugs are $7 a piece or something. Just something to think about. Good Luck!!

Yeah for those back bolts you have to feed the socket down by hand and then feed the ratchet down there and get the 1/4" head spun the right way to fit into the socket. Those ones caused me issues the first time. as well as one near the wheel well/inner fender. I forget how exactly I did the rear ones, im pretty sure it ate one of my sockets too, fell down into the abysse lol. i dont think i snapped the socket fully onto the ratchet either, just kinda laid it in there. you totally have to go off of feel though.

Also when putting the valve cover gasket on the drivers side you may need to do a thin line of RTV on the back 1/4 or 1/3 of the valve cover to make sure the gasket doesnt come out of the groove when your feeding it back there. i had to take mine on and off about 3 times because it kept rolling or falling out, causing a leak. And also put RTV sealant in the correct places on the cyl head.

where exactly should i apply the rtv sealant? for both the vcgasket and the head? if you could picture it and maybe circle the areas where I need it.. That would be sweet! Thanks again.. working on hour 2 of taking off the driver side.. its a pain.

yeah its not fun at all

Alright there are 2 flat spots on the valve cover gaset itself. They are towards the front of the gasket(front of the car). On the cylinder head you will see 2 flat spots that are a little wider then the rest of the cyl head wall. If i had to guess they are about 1cmx1cm. You need to scrape off old sealant/gasket maker, and put new on there, just a small dab should do it. that is actually needed.

The other part where i used it, very little of it, was around the back of the gasket. I put it in the groove of the valve cover itself just so the gasket wouldnt fall out of it when feeding it back to the back of the engine. it just sort of helps give you a peice of mind that "hopefully" it didnt roll or fall down and get pinched when tightening the valve cover. its not needed, so do what you please, i just had to do it in the end because it kept leaking since the gasket wouldnt stay snug in the valver cover while putting it on.

AHhh gotcha gotcha.. Man Im having a hell of a time taking off the fuel line.. I got all the bolts off the VCG but cant get it past the fuel line.. And cant find the schrader valve to release the pressure.. 01 LS Any suggestions?

Not sure how old you are, but at 43, my lower back was giving me hell after the constant bending over the fender trying to dig around that brake booster area.

I too am in my 40's and when I work under the hood for a long time I jack up the front end of the car so I am not bending over much. Maybe that is stating the obvious, but being on the tall side it does help with the bending over for a long time.

nvm found that valve.. it had a blue cap over it. and I pushed down the valve to release the pressure..

but still cant get the fuel line off.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/Valve_Cover_Seal_Inspection/012.jpg

you need this tool
715c7a6993355bef98cc4cd2f868ce19.jpg

I believe it's called Ford fuel line disconnect tool (form OTC) - you need the 1/2" one (usually blue).

there is a spring the goes around the inside lip of the fuel line connection, the tool simply slides under the spring, holding it up enough to allow the lip to pull out. once you have the tool pushed all the way up into the connector - pull the fuel line connector apart - it can be fairly stiff.

i made one out of a small spare hose clamp. it worked, not easy on the hands though. Make it the exact same size as the hose then slide it into the circle thing where the spring is. the tool is easier though lol

Not kidding you the rear most nut was easy for me I basically jumped on the engine and reached my hand all the way back there.. The dipstick nut was the worst.. I got a socket on it.. twisted the bolt and got the ratchet stuck a couple times.. dropped the ratchet a couple times.. had to jack it up a couple times.. just to find the ratchet stuck inside the frame somehow.. Yea that got pretty nasty.. I went and bought the tool that Quik suggested worked great but got a little gas dripped inside the camshaft.. maybe like a tablespoon, hope I dont blow up my engine.. :slam

... I went and bought the tool that Quik suggested worked great but got a little gas dripped inside the camshaft.. maybe like a tablespoon, hope I dont blow up my engine.. :slam

No, you will be fine.

Sorry to Resurrect an old thread like this but.. I FINALLY got the parts in today, the coils were great and the plugs were fine too. But I ordered the VGC from max and one of the packages only came with 3 F'n rings, instead of the 4! So I had to re-use the old ones and hope it works well..
All done with no missing/extra stuff, so everything is plugged in/on except for the engine cover.. So I celebrated and slammed a beer..
Ok so I said lets take it to the gas station get her some new gas too, and what do ya know I put the engine cover on and SNAP! it broke.. the LAST :q:q:q:q!ng thing I put on breaks.. My luck..

So anyways its normal for some smoking to still be occurring will the rest of the oil just burns off eventually? Cause the smell has changed it smells like burning rubber now instead of oil.. :confused:

Members online

No members online now.
Back