Does this look safe to drive on?

Torn boot problem is like interference with brake shield or wheels.
that could be due to the car being lowered 1.5"?
warranty? iirc I bought it from a seller on eeebay...can I send it back to Moog and get a replacement?

So I got in my shopping cart from rockauto.com 2 (left,right) complete upper control arms with bushings. And 2 (left,right) complete lower control arms with bushings. All Dorman for $165. The best quote I got from a shop so far is $475 for installation. good deal?

I guess 475 is less than a dealer would charge...you'll need an alignment since the LCAs are being replaced; imo, you really want to try and do sway bar end links, and ideally strut rod bushings...you don't have to, but it swill suck to spend over $600 then realize you only did part of the job....labor should be less to do it all at once

If your uca/lca are bad, chances are your bushings are shot too. Replace it all, do it yourself and save yourself some dollars...:)

A few years I put all moog on my 95. Just changed the air shocks, and everything looked good. About 10K on it. Ole Bruce (dbleb88) did one of my CE's with all Raybestos, and he told me the Raybestos stuff all fit well, and went together easily. A few $$ more but worth it. No more KLUNK from those Arnott air shocks.

A few years I put all moog on my 95. Just changed the air shocks, and everything looked good. About 10K on it. Ole Bruce (dbleb88) did one of my CE's with all Raybestos, and he told me the Raybestos stuff all fit well, and went together easily. A few $$ more but worth it. No more KLUNK from those Arnott air shocks.

Those bags can be rebuilt if the bag is still good, just needs new shocks inside

**UPDATE** So I just got back from my local tire shop where I had the front suspension checked. He did a full "shake down". He told me that I definitely do NOT need new control arms. But what I do need is new bushings. :dancefool So this car will get exactly that along with an alignment. Thank you to everybody for your insight on this thread, I know its hard with a picture only. This mystery is now solved.

**UPDATE** So I just got back from my local tire shop where I had the front suspension checked. He did a full "shake down". He told me that I definitely do NOT need new control arms. But what I do need is new bushings. :dancefool So this car will get exactly that along with an alignment. Thank you to everybody for your insight on this thread, I know its hard with a picture only. This mystery is now solved.

Wait......What!

You test by moving arm up and down at joint to feel for play/looseness. If the joint is tight,it will go while. Just looks real ugly with no boots. You can go get couple boots cheap to go on there to make last longer. When you disconnect them to put new boots on you will really be able to feel any play.

yup.... outta everyones post, this guy called it the best. Even though all advice was golden.

I had a problem with the Dorman UCAs. I ordered a set from rockauto and the arms were two different designs. Thinking it was just a fluke I returned them and went to autozone who carries Dorman parts as well. Same thing happened. I received one thick barred arm and one thin barred arm plus the ball joints were designed differently. Both stock photos of the parts showed identical pictures for left and right but the items are different. I called around to 3'different local stores and they all had two mismatched sets.

* these were t bird replacements not mark arms

I had a problem with the Dorman UCAs. I ordered a set from rockauto and the arms were two different designs. Thinking it was just a fluke I returned them and went to autozone who carries Dorman parts as well. Same thing happened. I received one thick barred arm and one thin barred arm plus the ball joints were designed differently. Both stock photos of the parts showed identical pictures for left and right but the items are different. I called around to 3'different local stores and they all had two mismatched sets.

* these were t bird replacements not mark arms

Soooooo glad im not dealing with dorman or any arm replacement. He (the tire mechanic) was going at it with what appeared to be a 45 pound rock bar. Thats good enough for me

So you meant uca boots not bushings... Correct?

Well he told me "New bushings". But as I look at the "Service estimate" It says (he writes like doctor,hard to read) "1 Bushing lal stout rod." I think he meant to write "1 bushing kit strut rod?" IDK lol. I've been coming to this place quite a bit since I got the car. We get along good. He said the boots are normal to look like that after 20 years.

DSC01322.jpg

Well he told me "New bushings". But as I look at the "Service estimate" It says (he writes like doctor,hard to read) "1 Bushing lal stout rod." I think he meant to write "1 bushing kit strut rod?" IDK lol. I've been coming to this place quite a bit since I got the car. We get along good. He said the boots are normal to look like that after 20 years.

Very well could be strut rod bushing but you don't want your ball joints exposed like that. If it was "ok" like that they wouldn't even bother putting them on.

If you're doing the Strut Rod bushings, I'd suggest you go ahead and send Jay (98lincmk7lsc) a pm for a set of his spacers/washers. Rarely do the stock ones come apart.

As far as the ball-joint dust/grease boot. Just replace the boot if there's no play in the joint.

And yes the boots will look like that after 20 years.. Its a polite way of saying its old, and worn out. Just like any 80 year old person has wrinkles, its normal. Even thou they'd all rather have the skin they had at 16. Stupid Time, ruins everything except wine and diamonds

Last edited by a moderator:
just got off the phone with him. And asked if the boots were involved In the service estimate. He said no. theres no need.(wtf?lol). He then continued that if want to prevent rust to silicone it. This guy is not a fan of boots. He must have alot faith in my joints. Orrrrrr hes cutting corners on this job hmmm. :confused:

just got off the phone with him. And asked if the boots were involved In the service estimate. He said no. theres no need.(wtf?lol). He then continued that if want to prevent rust to silicone it. This guy is not a fan of boots. He must have alot faith in my joints. Orrrrrr hes cutting corners on this job hmmm. :confused:
----
go somewhere else, as previously mentioned: if all your front end susp is orig, and you replace just a few pieces at a time, you'll be going back and forth until everything is replaced, and you'll spend a lot more than doing it all at the same time....as Snapper said, don't use Moog for front strut rod bushings, use Ford/Motorcraft oem...my sleeves were reusable, but apparently i got lucky

----
go somewhere else, as previously mentioned: if all your front end susp is orig, and you replace just a few pieces at a time, you'll be going back and forth until everything is replaced, and you'll spend a lot more than doing it all at the same time....as Snapper said, don't use Moog for front strut rod bushings, use Ford/Motorcraft oem...my sleeves were reusable, but apparently i got lucky

Im probably going to do the bushings,sway bar ect. But I also keep hearing most control arms are usually pretty durable. And after witnessing the "shake down" I have faith in these joints. I think I'll stick with the strut rod bushing set up for now. I definitely hear you about another shop. He wants $90 for a kit (IK It will not be raybesto's, or ford for that matter) then $153 to install (1 hour n 40min I think). This is the part that was making me kinda mad get this...........$89 for the $%&$#@! alignment!

yea, $90 for alignment is std....my local NTB charges $90 for a 12 month 'warranty' on alignment....pretty good deal
------
ROTM.....where can I find a replacement dust boot for the UCA BJ?

Silicone instead of grease boots.. That's a new one. How bout NO.

I got that 12mo "warranty" from NTB too, been on their rack 5 times and they still can't get it right. Guess they'll be warranty replacing my tires too because I have to slightly yet constantly stear left to keep it straight

yea, $90 for alignment is std....my local NTB charges $90 for a 12 month 'warranty' on alignment....pretty good deal
------
ROTM.....where can I find a replacement dust boot for the UCA BJ?
You'll have to settle for the ones supplied in the "Help" section of the Parts Store. I've been hunting for Poly boots for a long time and only found ones for the Sway Links. Seems nobody makes them for the BJs anymore

Members online

Back