Does this look safe to drive on?

danielmillermark8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
heres a good pic of the passenger side front wheel arm/joint.

DSC01306.jpg

do you think it will last a couple of weeks like this? No boot n all?

If it's not making noise yet, like creaking/grinding, then you'll likely be OK for a little while. That being said, I wouldn't let it go any longer than you NEED to. Make that your next priority.

Think of what could happen if it goes bad while your driving? If their that bad, chances are the rest of the front end could be as bad.

You test by moving arm up and down at joint to feel for play/looseness. If the joint is tight,it will go while. Just looks real ugly with no boots. You can go get couple boots cheap to go on there to make last longer. When you disconnect them to put new boots on you will really be able to feel any play.

my advice, take it or leave it: unless you KNOW some of the front end was replaced less than 50k miles ago, plan to replace everything on the front end all at the same time: (UCAs, LCAs, tie rod ends, sway bar endlinks, SRBs) if you just do it as it becomes obviously worn out, you'll be working on the front end constantly
----
and...regardless of the temptation to 'save' money don't even consider buying used suspension components; you won't save money, you'll just do the work twice; I did and still need to replace one of the shocks

h o l y c r a p.... :eek: This sounds like it got into the four digit number money wise quickly. Would all of those pieces be easy to replace to a friend of mine who knows cars? Crystal clear on the ALL NEW PIECES got it thank you. I'm taking all advice dnsherrill, I would never leave it. Trust me when you guys post back I hit the thank you button as hard as I can because I plan on driving this little guy to school in the future, when I feel its safe enough.

DSC01250.jpg

DSC01098.jpg

Park the car, and get both replaced. I have machined those components and would not repeat would not be driving around with those joints.

Whatever you do don't get Moogs. Dormans make a decent cheap pair from what I hear. On the pricier side the Raybestos Adv Tech ones are the best, kinda like what Moog used to be.

No No No! All those types of "sets" are known to be junk. One thing i've learned over the years is to do it (susp) right the first time, it's worth the extra money. Unless of course you don't mind doing front end rebuilds every other year.

No No No! All those types of "sets" are known to be junk. One thing i've learned over the years is to do it (susp) right the first time, it's worth the extra money. Unless of course you don't mind doing front end rebuilds every other year.

lol knew that kit was too good to be true. I seem to only find the dorman parts individualy. Do they have full kits for one price?

lol knew that kit was too good to be true. I seem to only find the dorman parts individualy. Do they have full kits for one price?

Not that i'm aware of. Rockauto (Don't forget the 5% code) usually has good prices on them or advanced if you use one of their many available codes, trt30 is a common one for 30% off.

Moog used to put Zerks in the BJ and TRW didn't. once the merged products, they went all one way. I am sure some that were assembled got blended together, in sets it could be possible to have one of each. Torn boot shown is due to something else, and as Chestnut said, they due have a warranty.

Moog used to put Zerks in the BJ and TRW didn't. once the merged products, they went all one way. I am sure some that were assembled got blended together, in sets it could be possible to have one of each. Torn boot shown is due to something else, and as Chestnut said, they due have a warranty.

If they all got blended together it's been happening for many years.

As for the boots, each car is different so I don't know about the torn boots indicating a particular problem, but i've heard about it numerous times over the years so it's pretty common.

I'd much rather have a good part with no warranty and replace it once than to have a shotty product with a lifetime warranty that i'll be replacing every other year. Know what I mean?

Members online

No members online now.
Back