Do our fuel tanks have a reserve?

Lincoln Mark VIII

1. 67Continental

67Continental Dedicated LVC Member

When my fuel tank say empty, and i put in 10 litres (2.5 gallons) of fuel, it still says empty. is this a faulty sensor or is it a reserve in the tank?

2. 94m5

94m5 Dmaup's Daddy

no, no real "reserve".

2.5 gallons is'nt too much. I know when I put that little ammount in, my gauge does'nt do anything. It does'nt even register on the screen.

3. joeydm090682

joeydm090682 LVC Member

same here when i have it toped off after only using 3 gallons it wont register untill i start the car a few times

4. Megaboink

Megaboink Active LVC Member

My 94,and 97 mark dont register the fuel until i restart the car, or drive for a while, it take a few minutes to register it is normal.

5. 67Continental

67Continental Dedicated LVC Member

mine goes on for restart after restart. i guess it's just the peculiarities of a 10 year old sensor.

6. purelux

purelux Well-Known LVC Member

The gauge usually is set to read where the pump pulls the gas from. Not the bottom of the tank so depending on tank design and angle the car is on. You may under some conditions get some extra range beyond the e or 0 miles indication. However under others you may be screwed and not get that say 15 or 20 miles you got once or before. Also the fuel is what cools the fuel pump and consistantly running low can cause the pump to run hotter and or pull air at times when its too low.

7. BigredLsc

BigredLsc Active LVC Member

If I pump 2.5/3 gallons even I can make the gauge always read correctly , exit the gas station but before you exit on the entrance ramp turn the car off quickly while its pointed downward when you run the key over the needle will always usually jump and trip reading will increase