Do I have a chance??

Lincolnpimpin

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Sup yall last night I ran into my buddies sisters boyfriend and he has a 1996 SS Impala with the 5.7 in it and he wants to run em yall think I'll be abal to take him?

Lincolnpimpin said:
Sup yall last night I ran into my buddies sisters boyfriend and he has a 1996 SS Impala with the 5.7 in it and he wants to run em yall think I'll be abal to take him?

Another one of these, jeez. Ill be glad to answer

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS 7.3 15.6
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 7.2 15.4

You won't win by much, but youll win. To up your chances have about a 1/4 tank of gas or less.

edit: My numbers arn't from the LSC.

Wimpala's are no problem in stock form. On the high end where the twin ports light up, he hasn't a popsicle's chance in hell...

Impala SS's are good from a dig. All of their power is downlow unlike the Mark VIII where its a slug off the line. But as I have found out they are not the best from a roll. My dad as some on here know him has a 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham all hooked up and calls it the FTS and the car is running 14.5's and the day I picked my Mark VIII up from the dealer and we were heading home on I-95 we hit it and I beat him. But also another way to knock off sometime on your ET is to turn off the traction control, turn off O/D, and manually shift the gears. Thats a nice thing about the Mark VIII's that the Impala SS doesn't have a tachometer. But in conclusion if his car is stock you will beat him no problem

Blackout said:
But also another way to knock off sometime on your ET is to turn off the traction control, turn off O/D, and manually shift the gears.
It has been proven again and again that the Mark is faster when the computer does the shifting. It may make you feel better to be pushing the lever forward, click, click, but it won't make you any faster.

manually shifting gives me two tenths on the quarter, i've got about 35 time slips i tested it out with....

Well it has yet to be proven to me. I went to Atco one time and got in 5 runs. 2 with it in Drive and 3 with manually shifting the gears and after it was all said and done my slowest runs of the night were with it in Drive and my fastest were with manually shifting the gears.

You should be able to take him after 60mph if your car is in a decent state of tune. As far as manually shifting goes... my car is always faster when I manually shift but it is quicker when I leave it in drive. In other words, I get the best MPH manually shifting but the best ET's are when I leave it in drive. Good luck and keep us informed on the outcome of the race.

i smoked one over in philly at the races a while back.... they'r a joke. We both spun of the line, but in the end my mark viii was ahead by almost 2 cars. :L

My friend just got a 96 Impala SS, it has a few mods on it; Ceramic shorty headers, Superchip, CAI, and dual exhaust... He took me for a ride, and I was less than impressed; I've always loved those cars and thought that it'd feel a little quicker... The only thing they got on us is low end torque, but that just makes it harder for them to hook...

The only REAL reason that the Gimpala is so highly sought-after in the GM world is because they are an extinct dinosaur: the last full-size RWD Chevy V8; sadly missed by many true American vehicle lovers. May she rest in peace.

To this day I still don't know why the Impala SS's are worth so much damn money. Because it has different rims and Impala SS badges compared to that of a regular Caprice or a 9C1 makes it worth $10k+ more? But hey if someone is stupid enough to pay that much money for that car then hey so be it, but I'd rather spend that money on my Mark VIII and have $8k+ left for mod's to smoke Vette's :nxsmile

it's because very few were made. 3 years of production, and only one of those years had the nice interior with the center console.

because the ss is a special model.

as for them being heavy, I have a friend who's 95 caprice runs low 12's....

Members online

No members online now.
Back