Discovered major flaw with MKS

Fla02LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The MKS has push button start and a smart fob that you just keep in your pocket. Great convienence but i find a huge problem with it. The glove box has no keylock because there is no "key" and the trunk button inside doesnt have the ability to lock with a key either like in the LS.

I have a CCW permit and often carry my firearm. If i decide to leave it in the car there is no place to technically "secure" it or lock it anywhere while i am away from the car. Not until i went to the range this past weekend did i even think of this issue, which i do consider to be an issue. The only solution i can think of is bolting down a small electronic gun safe in the trunk somehow.

Actually know that i think of it the sync has a valet mode which i beleive you can enter a pin # which will prevent the trunk release button from working unless you enter the pin #. I know there is a valet mode but i dont know if it just locks the navi or it also includes the trunk release. Have to do some studying up.

Update: Valet mode only locks the GPS navi screen, nothing else. Still back to bolting or having a muffler shop weld a lock box in the trunk.

BTW... Went to range with a good buddy of mine. Former Marine, current firefighter and reserve deputy sheriff. These are the toys we had to play with. Only brought two of his three AR-15's. The tan AR has a laser scope and at about the max range, around 120 ft or so the target shows the grouping i hit. Thing is SICK!

AR-15 a.jpg

AR-15 b.jpg

Target.jpg

FYI: Thats a 20 round clip group. 17 "10's" & 3 "9's"

AR-15 a.jpg

AR-15 b.jpg

Target.jpg

Yeah I definitely wouldnt feel safe leaving a firearm in my car if it isnt locked. Of course this wouldnt be a problem if the government didnt feel the need to tell CCW owners they cant carry their gun in a bunch of places. Doesnt make sense to me. The government is worried that the people who spend a few thousand and give them their fingers prints are going to commit crimes? Yeah not so much. If someone is going to commit a crime they arent going to get a CCW to do it. My opinion, CCW owners should be able to carry basically everywhere considering they are the 'good guys' /endrant

Nice spread man. My father has an AR-15 and its awesome to shoot. Its been a few years since I've shot it though unfortunately

Know what you mean. I'm possess a CCW as well and actually had a gun stolen out of my car once.

Another major flaw(s) with the MKS is that it is front wheel drive and the engine is missing a couple cylinders, lol...with that said, the AR-15 is badass. The gun laws in IL suck so I see no point in me buying one though. Plus, there are no ranges close by.

Know what you mean. I'm possess a CCW as well and actually had a gun stolen out of my car once.

Two golden rules of carrying....
#1 Dont get your gun stolen
#2 Dont get killed with your own gun

I'm looking for a new concealed, you gotta check out the new Springfield XDS .45, this is more compact than most of ya'lls phones in your pocket and its a 5+1. Thats enough to stop a rhino charging at ya. But its a brand new design so its going to run min. $550.

XDS.jpg

XDS.jpg

Another major flaw(s) with the MKS is that it is front wheel drive and the engine is missing a couple cylinders, lol...with that said, the AR-15 is badass. The gun laws in IL suck so I see no point in me buying one though. Plus, there are no ranges close by.

Just keep the fwd stuff coming. I'm waaay over caring anymore and getting used to it, the dissing got lame awhile ago.

I'll take my fwd with the THX-II and Sync Navi, dual sunroof and adaptive cruise/headlights over rwd anyday.

Two golden rules of carrying....
#1 Dont get your gun stolen
#2 Dont get killed with your own gun

I'm looking for a new concealed, you gotta check out the new Springfield XDS .45, this is more compact than most of ya'lls phones in your pocket and its a 5+1. Thats enough to stop a rhino charging at ya. But its a brand new design so its going to run min. $550.

View attachment 828452351

Done seen it. I actually was holding one the other day. I have two Springfield XDM pistols already. It's a nice gun but I have the XDM subcompact 45acp. Besides being a single stack design and a hair smaller, not enough to make me buy pretty much what I already have.

I love my XDm 9 compact, perfect size, for me at least. the XDs handles pretty good as well, got a friend out with his s a couple of weeks ago. not too bad i must say. personally, I only want polymer pistols in 9 or 40. If I'm going to spend more money on a 45, its going to be a ton, and its going into a custom 1911. the biggest problem i have with the XDs is just its low capacity, if your going to carry a single stack compact, you might as well just get yourself a good wheel gun!

on a side note, I'm really surprised that your military buddy runs a mag well grip on one of his AR's, I'v always found it comfortable for supporting a carbine or a SBR, but every military guy i shoot with will give you hell about them since, in the case of certian malfunctions where there is a fire out of battery, the gun is designed to blow everything out of the mag well including the entire magazine. which is not where you really want your fingers!

regardless, very nice sticks for sure, is the second one a piston gun or does it just have an adjustable gas block?

back to the topic at hand, my buddies shop welded in a small box under the drivers floor mat that was the perfect size for a key open lock box, this was however in a F150, so ground clearance wasn't much of a concern. as long as you find the right sized box, you shouldn't loose much more than an inch (as the floor pan is not usually the lowest point under the car) something i would definitely look under the car to see if it will work or not.

Looking at them as we speak.

too many choices! lol

if i wasn't worried too much about the price, i would be looking at a Les Baer. PSA had a great deal last week for a stainless Kimber for a hair under $800.

also been looking at maybe getting a new remmy R1 and having the work done to it. then there are those days when you find a used STI or TRP for a silly price somewhere almost locally :( too many choices!!

hell who am i kidding, a new 1911 is going to have to wait a few years. the cheap one i have now will get me by. there is still a few parts my AR needs, i have a PRP trigger kit that needs to be fitted into my XDm. but the real reason is for my next hand gun, i jut want something silly, pretty sure i'm leaning toward a DEagle, but an S&W 500 sure looks like a whole lot of fun!

I heard the Remington R1 is nice. Haven't shot one but held one and it's light to be full size. I'm looking at the Kimber CDP Compact as well as a few others. Like you said, there are just too many dam choices, lol.

if there wasn't enough choices, there is nothing better looking than a nickle Colt

Great thing about Florida is that you don't have to "secure" a firearm with a CCW. Theft is another issue, but driving to the range you are fine.

I can get a tight group with my MP4 @ 200 & 300 yards. M14 real good @ 200/300/500 yds. 1911 @ 15/25/45 yds. 33 yrs of practice. Started the 1911 practice with 100 rounds every noon hour break for 4 yrs. Mon - Fri. My M1 will do 1k yards. 200 yds. practice standing, kneeling, sitting, prone. 300 yds. off hand & prone. 500 yds. prone.

Florida is also one of a few states that has the most reciprocity with other states as far as your Florida CCW permit being honored there. Just got to make sure you know what the yocal laws are.

super easy to mount a safe somewhere.... and if not, you should have plenty of room inside with that transmission being way up front!! :p

As a Ruger fan I recently acquired an SR9c. I have small hands and this piece fits me nicely. I've put thousands of rounds through my P89 and have had nary a problem. I would have probably stepped down (to .380) but the Ruger LCP isn't allowed in The People's Republik.

Members online

No members online now.
Back