Differences inbetween the 02 and the 03 3.9 V8's?

DarkMansLSEV8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok maybe this topic has already been spoken about before. But anyways here it goes. What are the differences inbetween both engines. I know that the intakes are different, can an 02 intake be swapped to an 03 and up intake? where is the difference in horsepower? was the engine built differently? tranny or rearend? can an 02 get swapped parts from an 03 so that it can make the 280 horsepower?

There are lot of differences....

10/21/02 - Production start of model year 2003 Lincoln LS
------ 3.0L V6 Engine: Variable cam timing is added, new intake manifold, new exhaust manifolds. Ratings are now 232 HP @ 6750 RPM and 220 lb. ft @ 4500 RPM
------ 3.9L V8 Engine: Variable cam timing is added, new intake manifold, new 4 into 2 into 1 dual chamber exhaust manifolds, new cold air / throttle body arrangement, compression ratio is now 10.75:1 (was 10.55:1) and new fine tooth cam chains. Ratings are now 280 HP @ 6,000 RPM and 286 lb. ft. @ 4,000 RPM
------ Electronic throttle control is added
------ PCM code is extensively updated for new engines & ECT
------ Redesigned engine mounts (V6 & V8)

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=9718&highlight=differences

OH, ok. LOL! that answered all my questions. The answer is, unless ive got a lot of money and a shop to do the work, im better off sticking to my 02 or replacing it with an 03 and up. thanks.

you cannot swap it with an 03+ - we've discussed this many many times....

like we said in many threads....

the 03 needs VVT (variable valve timing) and the pre-03 PCMs know nothing about this. But - you can't swap in a 03 PCM - since Ford went to CAN protocols in 03 the PCM would not attach to the bus.

To swap all seven 03 modules in your car, some wiring, the engine, the throttle-by-wire, cluster, transmission, ....you are really swapping the car....

Members online

Back