differences between sport and non sport models.

DarkMansLSEV8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
what are the differences inbetween the sport ls and the non sport? is there any horsepower differences or are they the same. Im talking about the V8's. Thanks.

All 00-02 V8 have 252 HP.
All 03-06 V8 have 280 HP.
The Sport package gives you a all-leather steering wheel and leather shifter knob. The non-sport models (most of them) have a wood insert in the top 1/4 of the steering wheel and a wood shifter knob. The 00-02 Sport also has a lot less exterior chrome, specifically no chrome bumper trim. The Sport models usually had different wheels, and a differently tuned suspension. There are also differences in the standard equpment, but most options were still available to order on most models.

sport models came with 17'' wheels over non sports coming with 16'' wheels. sport can come in V8 or V6. sport models have SST option on the gear select. pre 03 non sports were governed to 110 or somethin like that, pre 03 sports were not governed at all. just a few i can think of off the top of my head..

sport models came with 17'' wheels over non sports coming with 16'' wheels
Not all non-sport models had 16" wheels. Only the base model ("Luxury") had 16" wheels, and only in certain years. Other models, including Premium and Ultimate models, had 17" wheels, but the style and finish of the wheels differs.

sport models came with 17'' wheels over non sports coming with 16'' wheels. sport can come in V8 or V6. sport models have SST option on the gear select. pre 03 non sports were governed to 110 or somethin like that, pre 03 sports were not governed at all. just a few i can think of off the top of my head..

I think they all go at least 130mph before cutoff. Mine, 01 V6 sport went to 135mph but I could still feel the cutoff, it wasn't like it was really pushing much after that either, but still it was cutting out.

My 00 V6's cutoff was around 129mph. my 02 LSE V8 is around 136mph before the limiter kicks in.

And yes, the Sport Packaged models should have had more HP than the base, but I guess thats typical American marketing or whatever. Makes no sense. You wont see an //M or AMG badged car with the same HP as the non //M or AMG models.

my 2000 V8 can't pass 142, not cutting out the motor just doesn't have anymore left in it.

00-02 sport packages had leather steering wheel and non sports had wood steering wheels.

Ok, just my 2 cents on the top speed limiter. My '05 V8 ultimate is limited at 134 indicated, and it's consistent, as it has hit that 'many' times and yes, it is still pulling well enough at that speed to be surprised when it quite suddenly ceases pulling. I'm convinced 150-155 would be possible without it.

With my '02 Sport, when I first started looking at Land Speed Racing, but before I actually went to Maxton the first time, I did an SCT tune and went out on a section of X-way that's little-used. I took it up to 155 on my set of Michelin Pilot Sports P-2s. At Maxton the first time I went a best of 129.xxx in the mile. Ultimately, with a 100-shot with methanol, it went just a c-hair past 140 in the mile. I'm guessing that with the spray/methanol the top end would be round-about 170 or a bit more.

KS

There's something wrong with your car if it has a strong pull left at 100. It should continue going straight without a pull.

I had to read it again after seeing Joe say that it should feel the same even faster!

Okay this is for the Gen II V8 cars, there are most likely other difference between the Gen I and/or V6 models;

firmer shocks
larger diameter front and rear sway bars
semi-metallic brake pads (non-sports had quieter ceramic pads)
machined finished 17" wheels (non-sports V8 or at least the Premium model V8 had the chrome finish 17" wheels)
lack of chrome exterior accent moldings around windows and lack of chrome bumper inlays
"turned" nickel dash & door tirm inserts vs. wood inlay trim inserts
fully leather wrapped steering wheel without upper wood inlay
leather wrap shifter knob vs. wood inlay
not sure if the ZF servotronic II steering rack had a "firmer" tune or not for the Sport models

Additional upgrades that the Gen II LS V8 Sport models should have had from the factory, but did not (thank you Dearborn) This would be very similar to the M Sport package on the BMW E39 sedans of the day - which Lincoln used in its advertising of the day as the competition;

sticker and wider 245 or 255 section width Michelin tires on 8.0"-8.5" wide rims
Jaguar S-type Sport 320mm front brakes
a real mechanical LSD
slightly firmer springs (nothing major, maybe 10-15% firmer and stock ride heigth or say 10mm shorter)
firmer suspension bushings
Bilstein B4 mono-tube gas shocks

Now i'm confused :(

i was told on here all 2004 V8's were Sport models.

mine has the wood on the stearing wheel !

and a wood shifter knob !

and 17in wheels that are not chrome..

back to the drawing board !!

Now i'm confused :(

i was told on here all 2004 V8's were Sport models.

mine has the wood on the stearing wheel !

and a wood shifter knob !

and 17in wheels that are not chrome..

back to the drawing board !!

Measure the diameter of the front sway bar. If it's 30mm, then you have a Sport model or someone put a Sport front sway bar on your car.

Measure the diameter of the front sway bar. If it's 30mm, then you have a Sport model or someone put a Sport front sway bar on your car.

You make it sound like measuring the sway bar will not determine if it is a sport or not.
I got wood on the wheel and shifter so somebody must have changed the sway bar if it is 30 mm ??
Or if it is 30mm it is a sport with wood shifter and wheel ??

Members online

No members online now.
Back