Did You Know?

mach8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
with a nod to Andy Rooney

DID YOU KNOW?

As you walk up the steps to the building that houses the Supreme Court you can see the near top of the building a row of the world's law givers and each one is facing one in the middle who is facing forward with a full frontal
view ------------ it is Moses and he is holding the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?

As you enter the Supreme Courts courtroom, the two huge oak doors have the Ten Commandments engraved on the lower portions of each door.

DID YOU KNOW?

As you sit in the courtroom, you can see on the wall, right above where the Supreme Court judges sit, a display of the Ten Commandments.

DID YOU KNOW?

There are Bible verses etched in stone all over the Federal Buildings and monuments in Washington, D.C.

DID YOU KNOW?

James Madison, the fourth president, known as "The Father of Our Constitution" made the following statement;

"We have staked the whole of our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

DID YOU KNOW?

Patrick Henery, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said;

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionist but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

DID YOU KNOW?

Every session of Congress begins with a prayer by a paid preacher whose salary has been paid by the taxpayer since 1777.

DID YOU KNOW?

Fifty-two of the fifty-five founders of the Constitution were members of the orthodox churches in the colonies.

DID YOU KNOW?

Thomas Jefferson was worried that the Courts would overstep their authority and instead of interpreting the law would begin making law creating an oligarchy.

DID YOU KNOW?

The very first Supreme Court Justice, John Jay, said "Americans should select and prefer Christians as their rulers."

DID YOU KNOW?

86% of Americans say they believe in God.

Therfore it is hard to understand why there is such a fuss about having the Ten Commandments on display, or "In God We Trust" on our money and having God in the Pledge of Alligiance. Why don't we just tell the other 14% to sit down, shut up and enjoy of the best countries to have existed to date?

All civilizatons are not equal, all societies are not equal. If that were the case people would not be risking their lives to get into this, and only this country, out of all the countries in the world. So why the push to make our country into a facimile of those people are trying to escape from?

You obviously don't understand. Equality in this country means that every last vestige of reference to God has to be stamped out in order to avoid offending the atheist crowd, the 14% you refer to.

:slap:

Did you know:

Did you know that every time a conservative christian feels threatened they will reference the puritanical roots of our country, stand on the bible, and shout "THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE" as loud as they can?

Did you know:

Did you know that every time a liberal agnostic feels threatened they will try to destroy the very culture that has made America great, stand in protest against all that is good and pure, and shout "THAT'S THE WAY WE WANT IT TO BE NOW" as obnoxiously as they can?

Did you know:
I'm pretty damn sure Andy Rooney didn't write that.

I wish people would stop incorrectly attributing this things to people. George Carlin, Robin Williams, Dennis Miller, and Dennis Leary didn't write it either.

The establishment clause means that there would be no national religion.
And the comment (not in the constitution) "seperation of church and state" was meant to explain that state wouldn't interfere with the church, not vice-versa.

If that's what the document "meant" why didn't it simply say that. Funny, many others interpret it quite the opposite way that you do.

....Hummm, imagine if both abided by each others laws..

mach8, thanks for posting it....who cares who wrote it, the statements are proven.

MsM8

Calabrio said:
Did you know:
I'm pretty damn sure Andy Rooney didn't write that.

Didn't claim he did.

Didn't claim right or wrong, only pointed out what is.

It's pretty well documented that the writers of the Constitution were seeking to avoid theocracies of the type that had overshadowed europe for so long when they mentioned (rather in passing) a sparation of church and state.

mach8 said:
Didn't claim he did.

-My criticism wasn't of you, mach8.
It was of the people who start those e-mailings and mislabel them, not the people who receive them or pass them on in good faith. There are a number of simliar essays floating around the internet. Sometimes valid statements are made in those forwards, but misattributing them by the first person in the e-mail chain undermines them.

Seperation of church and state wasn't "mentioned in passing," it wasn't mentioned at all. It's a statement made by Thomas Jefferson in a letter he was writing to Danbury Baptists.

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of
Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits,
and humbly to implore his protection and favors."

-- George Washington (Thanksgiving Proclamation, 3 October 1789)

Calabrio said:

Hear Hear.:I

Calabrio said:

Well, how do we obey God's will in America? There are many religions in this great land that make up that 86% and they vary how God's will should be obeyed. Do we do a national raffle and randomly pick a religions doctrine on how God should be obeyed and make everyone stick with that? Do tell, I will listen to any great idea. I see a quandry here when different religions contradict each other on how to obey God's will.

95DevilleNS said:
Well, how do we obey God's will in America? There are many religions in this great land that make up that 86% and they vary how God's will should be obeyed. Do we do a national raffle and randomly pick a religions doctrine on how God should be obeyed and make everyone stick with that? Do tell, I will listen to any great idea. I see a quandry here when different religions contradict each other on how to obey God's will.

If you knew anything about George Washington, you would know which God he's referring to, and would then know where to go to find out what God's will is.

fossten said:
If you knew anything about George Washington, you would know which God he's referring to, and would then know where to go to find out what God's will is.

If you felt it necessary to answer for Calabrio, at least give an actual answer that pertains directly to the question or at least a direct answer.

Surprise, surprise, I do know something about George Washington, to answer you, he was a Christian (or maybe some other offshoot of Christianity), but regardless the same basic principals of worshipping God are there.

So according to you, we should follow George's ideals and all worship God in a Christian sense.(?) That would be the American thing to do?

95DevilleNS said:
Surprise, surprise, I do know something about George Washington, to answer you, he was a Christian (or maybe some other offshoot of Christianity), but regardless the same basic principals of worshipping God are there.

Oh, good. Then the answer is easy. All you have to do is follow the Ten Commandments. That's what the Bible says.

95DevilleNS said:
So according to you, we should follow George's ideals and all worship God in a Christian sense.(?) That would be the American thing to do?

That would be the American thing to do according to George Washington. I believe it is his statement that you have such a problem with.

Do you really hate God, or do you just like to argue about everything for the sake of the argument?

fossten said:
Oh, good. Then the answer is easy. All you have to do is follow the Ten Commandments. That's what the Bible says.

That would be the American thing to do according to George Washington. I believe it is his statement that you have such a problem with.

Yes, it was his statement, but you did say "Hear Hear I agree" when Calabrio originally posted it. That means you are in agreement with that statement. :eek: So I have to conclude that you feel Americans need to be Christians to be Americans. I copied the post, see below incase you forgot.

Calabrio said:

fossten said:
Hear Hear.:I

That is the quote posted by Calabrio, then your agreement.

fossten said:
Do you really hate God, or do you just like to argue about everything for the sake of the argument?

Certainly no, God never did anything wrongful to me. I do like how you've taken the 'You must hate America' bit and turned in into "You must hate God.'

95DevilleNS said:
Yes, it was his statement, but you did say "Hear Hear I agree" when Calabrio originally posted it. That means you are in agreement with that statement. :eek: So I have to conclude that you feel Americans need to be Christians to be Americans.

LOL wow do you jump to conclusions. You really stretch things here. Neither the quote from GW nor my statements ever said "I feel Americans need to be Christians to be Americans." I believe he said "It is the duty of nations..."

Your conclusion is a non sequitur.

raVeneyes said:
next it will be you must hate superman because you have batman in your avatar

And yours is an unfounded generalization.

When do you guys actually start making logical arguments? This is getting old. All you guys can muster is sarcasm and flawed logic over petty little issues.

fossten said:
LOL wow do you jump to conclusions. You really stretch things here. Neither the quote from GW nor my statements ever said "I feel Americans need to be Christians to be Americans." I believe he said "It is the duty of nations..."

Your conclusion is a non sequitur.

And yours is an unfounded generalization.

When do you guys actually start making logical arguments? This is getting old. All you guys can muster is sarcasm and flawed logic over petty little issues.

Fine, you don't feel that way. But all nations have a duty to obey God in a Christian way? That sounds logical to you?

95DevilleNS said:
Fine, you don't feel that way. But all nations have a duty to obey God in a Christian way? That sounds logical to you?

Sure it sounds logical to me. At any moment God could pull His hand back and allow millions of people to die, but He doesn't do that because He allows us free will. That despite the fact that based upon His standards, all of us deserve to die.

Do you realize that the very air you breathe and the very actions of your lungs and heart keeping you from instantly expiring all come from God? Col. 1:17 says, "And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

The least any of us can do is try to give God the respect and honor He deserves. Those who don't may not have anything happen to them...yet...but everyone at some point stands in front of God, whether they believe they will or not.

fossten said:
Sure it sounds logical to me. At any moment God could pull His hand back and allow millions of people to die, but He doesn't do that because He allows us free will. That despite the fact that based upon His standards, all of us deserve to die. .

So besides the atheist & agnostics, the Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists and any other religion I can't think of at the moment is screwed huh?

fossten said:
Do you realize that the very air you breathe and the very actions of your lungs and heart keeping you from instantly expiring all come from God? Col. 1:17 says, "And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.".

I would if I believed that the Bible was Gods word/will.

fossten said:
The least any of us can do is try to give God the respect and honor He deserves. Those who don't may not have anything happen to them...yet...but everyone at some point stands in front of God, whether they believe they will or not.

Correct and who's to say that anyone else's way of respecting God and honoring God is wrong? I'll answer that for you, only God is to say. Maybe when your time comes and you stand before God, God will look upon you and say you did not choose wisely. I know you believe with 100% certainty you have, but you never know.

raVeneyes said:
Oh no...he knows God LOVES the way he chooses to honor...God spoke to him, one dark night during his prayer, and he asked for God's light to shine upon him, and he asked for God's holy spirit to guide him, and he accepted Jesus' death as God's gift...and all was instantly right with the world...

You know how I know? Because I too have spoken to God in the dark night, and she told me I'm a bad bad boy, and that I am to continue being a bad boy until just before I die at which point I should relent and come to her through her son.

WOW:gr_devil: ...and you said I have issues...

Members online

No members online now.
Back