Defrost vent

Spree

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Found another problem, searched for a cure but found nothing. My Mark recently sat for 4 years and I probably had the defroster on when I parked it. Now it's stuck in the defrost position, it still goes from heat to air but only through the defroster. You guy's ever hear of this? Maybe something I can lube or ?? My air needs charged but don't want to do this until I can get the vent to change.

Vac leak in the black hose running across Plenum into passenger side firewall

Vac leak in the black hose running across Plenum into passenger side firewall

Can you elaborate more please! Vac hose runs across motor and into the fire wall behind glove box?

Just tested out control and this is what I found out with the controls.

Stuck on defrost.
Blows a little cold through the defrost (it's hot out today and ac is definitely getting cold).
Compressor kicks on for 3 secs then off for 4 secs then repeats.
Tried every setting and only defrost works.

Cold line gets cold, hot line gets hot.

Good thing is it seems to be getting cold...needs just a charge right?
1st time I tried the controls since I started working on it about a month ago.

the vac line under the hood over the intake plenum, get weak after years of heat underhood, find the leak,, cure the problem

The line runs into the passengers side fender. If the fender is removed, you'll see a black canister about 8" or so long, maybe less and it could have come loose inside there but don't go removing the fender until you have checked that black vac line from the fender, across the plenum and back as far as it will go. If it all looks good, keep switching back and forth from Heat to Max AC. If that doesn't help, pull out the EATC unit and make sure all lines are connected on the back. If everything is good there, then you might have to remove the hood and fender and you will see the black vacuum canister setting there and the black line should be connected to it.

Check ALL those thin plastic vac hoses...bet their brittle as well as their couplers

Its Going to your defrost as a default for having a vac leak, this is a safety feature so you can still see out of the windshield

If you can't take a vac hose and wrap it around you're hand, replace it

Found another problem, searched for a cure but found nothing. My Mark recently sat for 4 years and I probably had the defroster on when I parked it. Now it's stuck in the defrost position, it still goes from heat to air but only through the defroster. You guy's ever hear of this? Maybe something I can lube or ?? My air needs charged but don't want to do this until I can get the vent to change.

I had this problem in 2007. Note the pic, and the solution.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=30859&highlight=Defrost

Your problem sounds exactly like mine! I'm gonna look at everything under the cosmetics, (dam I just put all that stuff back on!) probably this weekend. I have an appointment at the dealer Thursday for the recall, to take care of the (VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL), that I've been putt'n off. Then I was gonna get the AC charged right after that, then off to work. Friday I think I'm off and will tear into it. I hope it's that simple as a broke line. Lines (around) the cosmetics I already checked and they look good. I'm hoping NoLimit's solution (with the fender) is the wrong one this time, but....."scratch'n head"...he's right alot! If I find anything that looks' wrong I'll post pic's, dam I hope it's not the fender thing! But with my luck.....I'm not so sure.

Your problem sounds exactly like mine! I'm gonna look at everything under the cosmetics, (dam I just put all that stuff back on!)

Now that's where I'm at. If you have been removing and installing the beauty cover, I'm thinking you have broke and or pinched a line. One coming loose inside the fender would only be on a rare occasion. Not really inside the fender but it's behind it. Now that you see just how little that line is, carefully trace it. This could also be the blend door actuator being stuck, since it did just sit for 4 years. Like I said before, make the fender removal the very last option because I have only heard of them coming loose in there maybe twice. I also wanna say that these people had removed hoods and fenders and one was pinched and the other needed the whole assembly that sets up there on the top of the fender well. If you haven't been taking off the fenders, it's unlikely that it would be in there so don't worry. Hopefully it's as simple as GMAN's line break.

On a side note, if you're the only one looking under the hood, I would just leave the beauty cover off. I know it hides a lot but it tends to get in the way more than looking pretty. The more heat it has to endure, the more brittle it's going to get and if you ever sell the car, you would want that part in the best condition as possible. I keep mine right above the garage in the attic because nobody but me ever looks under the hood. Let that ole 4.6 breathe. :)

You were right on GMAN! Right were you said it would be...all fixed and now all settings work!

DSCN1121.JPG

Now that's where I'm at. If you have been removing and installing the beauty cover, I'm thinking you have broke and or pinched a line. One coming loose inside the fender would only be on a rare occasion. Not really inside the fender but it's behind it. Now that you see just how little that line is, carefully trace it. This could also be the blend door actuator being stuck, since it did just sit for 4 years. Like I said before, make the fender removal the very last option because I have only heard of them coming loose in there maybe twice. I also wanna say that these people had removed hoods and fenders and one was pinched and the other needed the whole assembly that sets up there on the top of the fender well. If you haven't been taking off the fenders, it's unlikely that it would be in there so don't worry. Hopefully it's as simple as GMAN's line break.

On a side note, if you're the only one looking under the hood, I would just leave the beauty cover off. I know it hides a lot but it tends to get in the way more than looking pretty. The more heat it had to endure, the more brittle it's going to get and if you ever sell the car, you would want that part in the best condition as possible. I keep mine right above the garage in the attic because nobody but me ever looks under the hood. Let that ole 4.6 breathe. :)

I think this time it broke from sitting too long. fenders never been off and I am the only one that works on it, except for the up coming recall fix, and ac recharge. I've been reading all the old post too :) I think I'm losing sleep from spending to much time on LVC...lol But on the other hand I'm learning alot!!

Don'tchya just love it when things are a simple fix? :D I'm glad to see that's all it was and now that you know where it is, if you happen to do any work around that line, you'll know to be careful in that area.

Changed my mind on the AC fix, think I'm gonna do it myself with the help from Auto Zone since it isn't complete empty, guess I'll see how that works out. I appreciate all the help you guy's have giving me :) You guy's have been more help to me then anywhere I could have went...and they would have charged me...lol! Anything I can do for you, just let me know!!

Go to Wal-Mart and get you one can of 134A, usually on the bottom shelf. Then find you the hose with the gauge that fits onto that can. Make someone that works there find the hose. If they don't have the hose, go ahead and get the cheap can off the bottom shelf. Should be right at $10.00

The way you describe how it runs and shuts off and then comes right back on, it's not very low at all. Anyway, you might have to go to AZ and get the hose that has a gauge on it. Very simple hose. Shouldn't cost much for it and then get out of there, or, ask one of the employees if they'll come out and add some for you. It will be added to the low side, closest to the firewall. Some have a black cap and some have a blue cap. Put your AC on MAX, make sure the little point on the hose is twisted counter clockwise and isn't showing. Screw the can onto the hose and make sure it's tight. Then use the little hand twist thing at the top of the can / hose and twist it clockwise until it is all the way down. Now you have punctured the top of the can. Nothing to worry about.

Take the cap off at the low side and connect the other end of the hose to it. This is easier than the line fix you done. Once connected, hold can upright and start twisting counter clockwise at the top of the can and keep going and you'll start feeling the can get cold. Shake the can a few times. Watch your compressor. It should be doing as you said but within a minute, it should be staying on and not cutting off and on. Twist the knob back down again and check your air blowing out inside and check the gauge. I would go ahead and give it one more dose and shake the can again while it is open and the can will be cold again. Only do it a 2nd time for about 10 seconds and then twist it back down again, as tight as you can. Put that can and hose in your trunk. DO NOT TAKE THE HOSE OFF THE CAN! Put your low side black or blue cap back on, shut your hood and you are done. If the AZ guy will do it for you, watch how he does it. If it sat for 4 years and it has only leaked enough to still be running off and on, that one can will easily last you all summer long. You're looking at maybe $20 but that's if you get the 134A from Wal-Mart for $9.95. If you get a can from AZ, you'll be looking at about $15 for the same stuff and the hose cost. I swear it is just as easy as fixing the vac leak you had.

NoLimit....you think it's only 1 can shy? On for 3 sec's off for 4? I had this car for 13 years and never added freon...

NoLimit....you think it's only 1 can shy? On for 3 sec's off for 4? I had this car for 13 years and never added freon...

1 can! If it's more than one can, I'll buy the 2nd can on me. If you had it here right now, I'd have it done within 5 min from the time I raise the hood, till the time I shut it back. One can will set you free and you will have some left over. Just make sure the hose is on tight and the finger twist on the top is closed tightly. Put all of that in the trunk tub or something. You will not use the whole can. If you do use it all, I'll be surprised. You shouldn't need a 2nd can but if you ever do, go to Wal-Mart and get it. All those parts chains are too high on that stuff. Don't look at the high mileage stuff in the blue can or the fully synthetic.. Get the $9.95 can from the very bottom and you'll be set.

I believe your o-rings have deteriorated to the point that they are not sealing. If your compressor is cycling on and off, and you know it works, then change the o-rings. There are two connections going into the condenser. You need a disconnection tool to remove these.
1533a724.gif

c0fcddc8.gif

Each male end has three o-rings on it. These o-rings need to be changed. As you can see by this pic, the o-ring is worn. A Mark that has been sitting for four years are probably grossly deteriorated.
45e2bba8.gif

The other end has this lock on it.
89726a9a.gif

Here are all the lines that have o-rings.
142c7ac5.gif

7379fa88.gif

18 years later and the last 4 years, sitting (baking in the hot sun) (I know the 1st owner never didn't anything to it). I'm surprised theirs any freon left and the compressor isn't locked up!
Added 1 full can of 134A (off the bottom shelf) :) $9.97 and 1 hose with pistol grip/gage (needed it anyway to check my Jeep this weekend) $16.97 both Walmart specials (both with tax $28.87). Auto Zone was $55 for the same thing (savings $25, cha-ching), probably more then that, I was gonna have someone do it for me (glad I didn't).
Before adding anything...the needle was in top half of white zone, now needle is in the bottom half of green zone. Not sure what the temp was outside tho, I'm guessing 70ish.
May have to wear my winter coat, burrrrr it's cold in their now :)

If you guy's aren't tired of hearing from me yet...this car has some other minor problems, I'd like your option's on. I'll need to take some more pics and post new thread this weekend (still trying to figure out how to use the wifey's camera) :(

For example...It took me an hour to fix that Vac line! 55 minutes to figure out the camera/take a pic and 5 minutes to fix line :) I'm still a little technology stupid! The kids been helping with taking pics for me and downloading into computer. The Vac line pic...I was on my own...that's probably why it was a little fuzzy...lol

I've been watching the Black Night thread and NoLimit's MK VIII is one bad a$$ ride! Everyone's MK's are nicer looking then mine...but with any luck, it's improving everyday.

Members online

Back