Debating whether to keep air ride, need input

Blenderhead

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, so I am at the point where I need to make a decision what to do with the suspension on my MarkVIII. The front struts leaked real bad when I got the car, then I got some used arnotts just to get it running, and those worked alright for a couple months, then started leaking again. Now my compressor will occasionally seize up, but then always kicks back in when I restart the car, so I don't know what is up with that. The rear shocks are clunking over bumps, and the car just doesn't handle to my liking. I love the highway ride of the air suspension, but having had plenty of MN12s before, including some SCs, a stiffer suspension wouldn't bother me one bit. Plus I love to drive hard through back roads, and some better handling would help there. So the question now is, do I spend the money to keep the air ride, and try to make the car handle with that, or do I just convert to coils, which gives me options for stiffer front shocks, as well as puts me in a position where I know exactly how to make the car carve the corners. Basically I need input from people who have converted to coils, and what regrets you have had, if any.

Air ride FTW!!! As much trouble as some people have, Im still not ready to give mine up.

I have no regrets at all, These cars handle good with the airride, but they handle great with coilovers. Mine is real stiif compared to my mothers 93 that still has airbags. And that is the only thing I've done to the suspension thus far. The air ride is nice when it works but as the system gets older Without a compressor and new bags you'll have issues. they just get touchy. As for my ride and handling I love it and dont have to worry about some jackass pickin my car up and forgetin the airride or coming out in the mornin to a car I cant drive. Stock is awesome but some mods are for the better.:cool:

I like the air ride, I love the highway ride and I don't drive my car in a way where I feel I need more handling...

For what you seem to want do coils...

Also if you use the search function you can find the wire to cut so the reminder wont come on everytime you get in the car or shut it off.

I like the air ride better. If not I would of bought me an MN-12. The one of the most important parts of owning a Mark, is the air ride suspension.

Seems like we're having this conversation twice a week now.

I have one of each, air and coils, and like the air ride better. Sounds like you need to buy another Mark :)

For what you want and how/where you drive, I say coil it. Just don't trash the air lines in case you decide to go back at a latter time.

You can almost predict who will post here and what they will say.

Blenderhead knowing you I am surprised you haven't installed M12 coils already.
I know you can do it cheaper the anyone else has :)
Your the master of the cheap Mark mods.

I have the coils I like them but my car was done before I bought it.
I think about going back to air.
Doubt I will.
I like how you can adjust the ride height with the air.
But being cheap I will just cut my coils until I get the look I want.

I love the corners so I love my coils. Yes you can make an air ride handle ALMOST as good but the coils are better. I dont mind havinga slightly firmer ride eaither. With the big sway bar and the performance valved shocks the car still rides better then anything I have owned before.

for me its all about the cost.....I love air ride and haven't had to put much into it to keep it going, but once the whole system starts to shut down; for the price difference I'll go coil all day long.

Having drove a few of them and helping with 2 conversions so far, i think you should go the cheap and worry-free route and convert. I like my air ride, but when it does finally give out, i will do the conversion. The first couple of weeks with springs are an adjustment. It handles a lot differently. The first time i drove springs, i was street racing and scared myself a lil. :D

I have 2 with the coil conversion. My 97 which I will keep forever, will one day be converted back to air. I liked it better. Either that or I will get some stiffer shocks up front. Most likely going back to air. Its part of what makes a lincoln a lincoln. Plus I like the fact you can adjust ride height pretty much all you want.

A lot of people will say the springs ride better, and I am sure they do ride better than 11-16 y/o air susp, but I remember how mine rode when the air was good, and I like that better than the springs.

OK, Flame on.

coils and save money on fixing the air ride if its giving you problems. you can buy 2 coil sets by the time you fix the air ride parts...

i actually did coils but after a while took out the rear springs for tbird ones(tad shorter) to lower the back even with the front. i bought the stock ride height kit

I have 2 with the coil conversion. My 97 which I will keep forever, will one day be converted back to air. I liked it better. Either that or I will get some stiffer shocks up front. Most likely going back to air. Its part of what makes a lincoln a lincoln. Plus I like the fact you can adjust ride height pretty much all you want.

A lot of people will say the springs ride better, and I am sure they do ride better than 11-16 y/o air susp, but I remember how mine rode when the air was good, and I like that better than the springs.

OK, Flame on.

Who are we flaming... you for being silly :D

OK, so from what I am seeing here, nobody seems to say I will regret going with coils. I guess that is what I'll do then. The only thing that leaves in the air is what springs and shocks to get. I'm thinking I'll go with the Tokico blues with SC springs with one coil cut off. That should give me some of the handling I'm looking for.

If you only want a .75" drop then get the Voglant springs for LX Sports. Voglant also makes a 1.5" drop spring as well. Ebach Pro Springs work steallar with Tokicos in the 3 or 4 Stangs I have used that combo in.
I have Tokico Blues on my Mark with stock LX Sport springs and the handeling is excellent and the ride is still very plush. I will be upgrading to the Voglant springs with the .75" drop in the future though. I would like a bit lower butthe roads here are chit.

lscmrkviii, good idea! I bet my air pump is still there. I am gonna jack it up and check it out tomorrow. Gotta check to see why my front brakes clunk on rough roads anyway. Always thought it was the air deflectors or the battery but I just learned it goes away if I ride the brakes, something aint right. :(

lscmkviii, I dig the looks of your exhaust. What brand is that?

Members online

Back