Dead Battery.

jdlmkviii

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, retarded me left the fog lights on all night last night... and the battery is about as dead as it can get. I have to use the actual key itself to get into the car. But the thing I need help with, is what kind of battery to get. I sadly don't know a thing about batteries. The local jiffy lube said they'd get an Interstate battery in for me for about $79. The battery that has been in there was pretty good, a TurboStart. I need a pretty decent battery with the system and all too. Any suggestions?

I always look for a battery with a long warranty. I wouldnt trust the opinions of the kids at jiffy lube..

Autozone sells a

DURALAST-GOLD BATTERY - $69.99
** 875 COLD CRANKING AMPS (1000 CRANKING AMPS) ** -> 3 YEAR FREE REPLACEMENT <-

That should do you just fine......... If you dont go there, look for a battery with 850 CCA at least.

I would go to WalMart and get the MAXX-1 battery. They usually have a book or computer to tell you what battery fits your application. The yellow WalMart batteries are made by the same company that makes Optima batteries, but they are not solid-state and as such do not cost as much. They have a three year warranty, and you'll be hard pressed to ever be far from a WalMart. Otherwise, if you have the coin, definately get a yellow top Optima. I think AutoZone has Optima.

Done deal.... I got an AutoCraft Titanium Battery. 850 CCA, and 1000 cranking amps. 3 year warranty... $82 package (kind of a lot, but I didn't really have any other choices)... I should be good for a while :Beer

P.S. Thanks Joey for the quick reply and instant lesson... LOL.... it helped a lot :V

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal experience is

Wal-Mart Batteries are seconds and never last anywhere near the warranty length. I usually find myself stranded cursing Wal-Mart crap

Interstate has always been rated very very high.

I personally go to my local parts store and order the correct AC-Delco battery for my car. The factory replacement will always be the longest lasting and most reliable.

Just my findings

Optima is unbeatable. You will reduce vehicle weight (my 1000CA battery weighs in at 80-ish lbs, Optima = 35-38lbs.) plus have a greater cycle time (especially if you get a deep cycle) and better recharge life (the spiral cells don't lose their charging ability as rapidly as soild lead-acid plate-style cells).

Interesting. What's the price like?

CaptainZilog said:
Optima is unbeatable. You will reduce vehicle weight (my 1000CA battery weighs in at 80-ish lbs, Optima = 35-38lbs.) plus have a greater cycle time (especially if you get a deep cycle) and better recharge life (the spiral cells don't lose their charging ability as rapidly as soild lead-acid plate-style cells).

codewize said:
Interesting. What's the price like?
Optimas are $100+. I think the yellow-top batteries go for around $120 at the local AutoZone. They have a ten year warranty. They are expensive, but definately worth it if you have the money to spend on them. As for the WalMart batteries they are made by the same company as Optima and are some of the best batteries out there. They cost less because they are not solid and have a much shorter warranty (3 years), but that makes it worth while for your average Joe. The 1000cca MAXX-1 battery runs $60, and I've yet to have one fail on me.

JoshMcMadMac said:
Optimas are $100+. I think the yellow-top batteries go for around $120 at the local AutoZone. They have a ten year warranty. They are expensive, but definately worth it if you have the money to spend on them. As for the WalMart batteries they are made by the same company as Optima and are some of the best batteries out there. They cost less because they are not solid and have a much shorter warranty (3 years), but that makes it worth while for your average Joe. The 1000cca MAXX-1 battery runs $60, and I've yet to have one fail on me.

Hmm I have not heard of optima batteries having a 10 year warranty. I know mine didnt. In fact the warranty on them isnt that great, most have 2 years I believe.

You have to watch the Yellow Tops. You lose power for the deep cycle capability. If your application requires massive Cranking Amps (like my Mark VII), a Yellow Top might not be the best solution. The Red Top models are quick discharge and will provide more power in a shorter time span than the Yellow Tops, like when you need to start your car. Yellow Tops have the stamina though.

Those Odessy batteries are real nice, but they're still real heavy. For a sound system-focused car, they'd be the greatest thing ever.

CaptainZilog said:
Those Odessy batteries are real nice, but they're still real heavy. For a sound system-focused car, they'd be the greatest thing ever.
Diehard gold series sears 79.99 :V

Members online

No members online now.
Back