Deactivating/Activating Belt-Minder Chime

xford

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Here are instructions to get rid of that annoying selt belt reminder chime (not that I am advocating driving without your seat belt fastened :)) This is for a 2006 and I asssume will work for all Gen 2 and maybe Gen 1

Preparation:
1- Apply Parking Brake
2- Place gear lever in Park or Neutral (manual Trans)
3- Place ignition lock in the Off postion (key vertical on my vehicle)
4- Close all doors
5- Unbuckle the driver and front passenger safetly belts

Deactivating/Activating
1- Turn ignition to the on position (do not start the engine)
2- Wait until the safety belt warning lamp turns off (approximately 1 minute)
3- Note-Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the seat belt warning indicator turns off. For the seating postion being disabled buckle then unbuckle the safety belt at a moderate pace 9 times, ending with the safety belt in the unbuckled position. After this the safety belt warning indicator will illuminate for three seconds 4- Within 10 seconds of the safety belt warning indicator turnin on, at a moderate pace, buckle then unbuckle the safty belt. This disables the safety belt minder chime for that seating position, if it is currently enabled. As confirmation , the safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds(in my case it was the airbag indicator). If you repeat the process it it will reactivate. For confirmation, the safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds, followed by three seconds with the indicator off, then the safety belt warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.

I had to follow these steps two times for it to work. You may need to do with the passenger seat belt as well....enjoy!

Someone read their Owners Manual, might add:

One time disable: Anytime the safety belt is buckled and then unbuckled during an ignition ON cycle, the BeltMinder will be disabled for that ignition cycle only.

Since I have competition six-point belts for use at Maxton (and elsewhere) I simply made a rough duplicate of the seatbelt tang from bar stock. When it's inserted, the chime is inoperative.

KS

Same thing I was thinking...this is straight out of the manual. :confused:

Actually I got these instructions from the Lincoln LS Workshop Manual...
Did you make some type of rule on the Forum that forbids posting instructions from the Owners Manual?? Its not like I made it out to be a big secret or something. I for one find the Owners Manual layout a little cumbersome and difficult at times to locate what I am looking for. If you have it memorized then good for you (I think?? :confused:). I did the post to simply be helpful to someone that may have been unaware of the process which is what this Forum should be about..

Did you make some type of rule on the Forum that forbids posting instructions from the Owners Manual?? Its not like I made it out to be a big secret or something. I for one find the Owners Manual layout a little cumbersome and difficult at times to locate what I am looking for. If you have it memorized then good for you (I think?? :confused:). I did the post to simply be helpful to someone that may have been unaware of the process which is what this Forum should be about..

You're bitchy. :p

When I said "Someone read their Owners Manual" I intended it as a compliment.

Most people do not look at the manual to find answers to their issues. I have referred to my manual many times and never saw this. Thanks for posting!

because its called natural selection, where the weakest link in the species is eliminated.

We've hopelessly perverted that. For reference, see the movie "Idiocracy."

Last edited:
with all due respect, that ideal isnt worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on.

i beg to differ...i'm a collector of very rare and prestigious paintings and the specific painting you are referring to is regarded as one of the most sought after paintings in existence today, so thank you for comparing my "ideal" to something so special and valuable.

If thats the case then you argue like a 4 year old....

Is it not past your bedtime? Get back in your crib before mom finds out :eek:

You certainly exhibit the reasoning skills of a five year-old...you drag my wife into your insults, then suggest I am a little more than a toddler. :D

I must give you credit though; the title is actually useful. A lot of threads have titles that do absolutely no good, like "Oh, no", "Help", "I need suggestions", and other garbage. Thanks for that! :cool:

P.S. - I am off to bed, because it is my bedtime.

You certainly exhibit the reasoning skills of a five year-old...you drag my wife into your insults, then suggest I am a little more than a toddler. :D

I must give you credit though; the title is actually useful. A lot of threads have titles that do absolutely no good, like "Oh, no", "Help", "I need suggestions", and other garbage. Thanks for that! :cool:

P.S. - I am off to bed, because it is my bedtime.

Wow, I am clearly having a dialog with a intellectual giant...Actually the thread proves that you are the one that took the dialog down to insults and childishness (i.e. "Your Bitchy"). I am just not one to sit back and let you dish it out without giving it back to you. If you don’t like it then maybe you might want to be a little less negative. Have pleasant dreams and I hope you remembered your pacifier!

(i.e. "Your Bitchy")

"You're" is a contraction; "your" is possessive.

You should stop taking the internet so seriously...especially this place. ;)

internet-serious-business.jpg

YOU are still the dumbass driving around with no seat belt.. hope this helps

Actually, I always wear my seatbelt while driving and stated in the OP that I don’t advocate anything else. I deactivated mine because when I am doing mundane things like sitting at the car wash I don’t like to wear my belt and hear that irritating chime. I also don’t like the fact that “Big Brother” has to get into everyone’s business. I would rather it be like the old days when Darwin figured it out. The problem now is too many “Dumbasses” procreate which makes the road full of unsafe “Dumbasses”.

Oh and by the way, my other ride is a Suzuki GSX1300 and it does not have a seatbelt chime or airbag! I just have to strap on my helmet (Darwin) and avoid the “Dumbasses” which I have done successfully for over 20 years of performance motorcycle riding. :steering

Members online

Back